GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows Service Packs and update patches"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/05/03 at 23:50
Regular
These really get on my nerves...
firstly, we're sold a product with a billion holes and bugs in (complete with the privilege of paying 3 figures for it), then we're encouraged to download the updates and service packs from the mighty M$ (or sometimes it just happens, depending on your settings.. ;) ). Once you've installed these "improvements" the only change you can notice is that the machine takes 10 times longer to boot, random things stop working (TweakUI for example...) and there's a nice new collection of original settings folders in your system folder taking up loads of your drive space.

i understand and appreciate that with a piece of OS software there are many things to check and consider (there's NO excuse for download patches fro xbox games though), but surely a company of M$'s financial weight could take on more testers and eliminate a sizeable percentage of the smaller problems addressed in the updates??

may be just me, i just think paying through the nose (i've never fully understood that phrase, but it sounds funny :) ) for a half finished product is a pain. would you expect half cooked food in a restaurant?....
Mon 19/05/03 at 18:25
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I detect a distinct lack of clue-possession on this thread. Windows is more complicated than most of your brains, and to expect Microsoft to not release patches for security vulnerabilities is just ludicrous.

And before you twitter on that Windows shouldn't have security vulnerabilities - all software connected to the net has security vulnerabilities, it's just that people choose to target Microsoft software above others.
Sun 18/05/03 at 07:46
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
I downloaded a internet explorer "update" and it caused more problems than it solved, my system was completly scrued we where off the internet for 2 weeks!!!!!!!!
Sun 18/05/03 at 07:43
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
adrian wrote:
> But think about how complicated Windows actually is. Think about all
> the different combinations of hardware that could be used to run the
> OS. Some updates I agree should not be needed like Security updates as
> these should be already in the OS.
So who cares the are selling a product, it should at least have under 2 trillion erors on it
Mon 12/05/03 at 21:54
Regular
"you've got a beard"
totally!!
that was my point..
once you've used the SP's to make your machine safe, it bcomes hideously slow, so it's a compromise of security over speed, which for the only real choice of OS (at least in a house where there are other, less technically savvy people living) is thoroughly inconveniant.

i've already conceded that it is a mammoth piece of software and with all the different hardware configs it must be a looooong task to get it stable on 99.9% of systems, but like i also said, M$ HAS the money to invest in improvements, but if they release a 100% functional/compatible OS, no-one would buy the next one.... funny that ;)
Mon 12/05/03 at 10:54
Regular
As new hacking methods are found, there is bound to be a need for an update some files vulnerable from attack via these new methods.

However, there are many updates which shouldn't be needed.

I tried downloading Windows XP SP1 from the Windows Update website - my computer took so long to load things that I reverted back to my settings before download via System Restore.
Mon 12/05/03 at 09:44
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
But think about how complicated Windows actually is. Think about all the different combinations of hardware that could be used to run the OS. Some updates I agree should not be needed like Security updates as these should be already in the OS.
Mon 12/05/03 at 08:52
Regular
"you've got a beard"
hehe....
but we're largely ignorant of their culture, perhaps it's supposed to be like that... which windows clearly isn't.

... or IS it?? ;)
Mon 12/05/03 at 00:43
Regular
Very_Metal wrote:
for a half finished
> product is a pain. would you expect half cooked food in a
> restaurant?....

If you were eating Chinease, you probably would
Sun 11/05/03 at 23:50
Regular
"you've got a beard"
These really get on my nerves...
firstly, we're sold a product with a billion holes and bugs in (complete with the privilege of paying 3 figures for it), then we're encouraged to download the updates and service packs from the mighty M$ (or sometimes it just happens, depending on your settings.. ;) ). Once you've installed these "improvements" the only change you can notice is that the machine takes 10 times longer to boot, random things stop working (TweakUI for example...) and there's a nice new collection of original settings folders in your system folder taking up loads of your drive space.

i understand and appreciate that with a piece of OS software there are many things to check and consider (there's NO excuse for download patches fro xbox games though), but surely a company of M$'s financial weight could take on more testers and eliminate a sizeable percentage of the smaller problems addressed in the updates??

may be just me, i just think paying through the nose (i've never fully understood that phrase, but it sounds funny :) ) for a half finished product is a pain. would you expect half cooked food in a restaurant?....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.