GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Christmas Ripoff"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/11/01 at 18:22
Regular
The PS2 has now been out more than a year in the world. So far the games have been good and are now getting so much better. I don’t need to go into all the good games anymore, we have all heard there names many times over and don’t need reminding of them, no matter how much we like it. The games are getting better though for one good reason, all the top developers want to make there games as good as possible to beat the competition and sell the most games possible, especially now as its coming ever closer to Christmas. The games are starting to come thick and fast and are really getting very good, all which is only good for us, the gamers. As the weeks go by many good games are released one game after another, some good and some even better, but there are always the games there that are sheer rubbish.

Christmas is one of the busiest times for games developers, this is the one part of the year where more people buy games than any other time, whether it be the actual gamer buying the game are a person buying a game for the gamer. However, for the non-gamer buying a game things can get a little confusing, they have no idea which games are good to buy as they are not up to speed with the industry. When getting a game they have to go on either the name or cover picture, but as the old saying goes, don’t judge a book by its cover, In this case, a game. The next method is to look on the back to see the pictures and see what the games graphics look like and get a picture of what the games about. This method while sometimes is all good and well, and often produces some good games that have been bought, often though it does not and the game turns out to be very bad, the developers seem to have an urge to put the best graphics on the back, which are sometimes not even from the in game. And this is what sometimes developers thrive up on.

When I say developers I don’t mean developers in general, Companies like Konami and Namco and many many others give us lots of top games all year round, yes they sometimes have an odd one that is not very good, but more often than not they are good quality. But there are developers out there that make a shoddy game just in time for Christmas that seems to be on purpose. There aim is to confuse the non-gamers into buying there games using the clever little tricks I mentioned. They do this every year, if you look on all consoles, where there are the usual great games out, and lots of them all competing to be the best, there are also many rubbish games out there that have clearly been rushed and just put straight into production and put on a shelf .All just for the sake of money, and all there thinking about is to make profit, ok, that’s what all company’s do, but many put time and effort in to gain reputation and too make a profit. These ‘bad company’s don’t, they are just there to put not much in and get lots out by tricking many innocent people.

Every year this seems to happen, and this year it seems to be more apparent. With the price drop of PS2, and the DC going cheap there are more new console owners buying now than every before, which may mean a lot of in-experienced buyers out there. When they see a good front cover they may like the look of it, and the same with the back. It can happen, and I have experienced this with 4*4 Evolution, the front and back cover looked very good and I thought it would be good too. Not hearing much on it I decided to get it, and what a mistake it was, the game was crap, and that’s all I have to say about that, luckily it only cost £20. But with more new buyers out there the developers of bad games will have a field day, with many of there games possible being bought.

Looking round the magazines and Internet sites you can really see the amount of bad games that have recently come out. The first example is Fifa 2002. Ok, EA claim to have made huge improvements in the game, with a new passing system and the rest. But clearly they have not spent enough time on the game, they have not gone into the depths needed to make it good, and able to compete with the best of them. This is a classic case of a rushed game, but all the same it will sell. The cover alone will sell it, it Fifa!! Everyone knows the name of Fifa, whether you are not player or not, you will have heard of it. And that’s what EA wanted, a well known name that will sell. Another example is Test Drive: Off road Wide open, in many reviews this game failed to get over 50% and is clearly not good enough to be on your PS2 list. This game is one of many in this franchise and there still is to be a good one among them. The developer is known as Angel Studios, not the most famous of company’s, and this is why, they make poor games that sell and make them money, every year there is a new Test Drive, and there are plenty of other poor games that they have made for there profit. There are also many other bad games on the market, and many released recently, and all these are selling at £35-40 which is too much for the game you are buying for the quality that they offer, and is really unfair for the people that are involved.

It really often makes me wonder how these people have the nerve to sell there games along side AAA titles. There reputation cannot be doing very well when they put Test drive up against GT3. All I can say is that thanks to places like here on SR and Magazines we have a place where we can find out if the game is really any good, then we can make a decision on whether to buy it.

Still though, with Christmas around the corner bad games still come out, and always will until the majority of people realise they should research what to buy first, after all, it is £40 and that is a fair some of money, and its in your interest that its not wasted. With the many great games now it would be a shame to miss out because you made the wrong choice.

Remember, make sure you know what you are buying, don’t let the developers get your money that easy.

Cheers

The Pro
Thu 08/11/01 at 18:41
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
Nice post Pro Evo!

I've bought a few games just because of the cover too, and they always turn out to be rubbish! :)
Thu 08/11/01 at 18:22
Regular
"360: swfcman"
The PS2 has now been out more than a year in the world. So far the games have been good and are now getting so much better. I don’t need to go into all the good games anymore, we have all heard there names many times over and don’t need reminding of them, no matter how much we like it. The games are getting better though for one good reason, all the top developers want to make there games as good as possible to beat the competition and sell the most games possible, especially now as its coming ever closer to Christmas. The games are starting to come thick and fast and are really getting very good, all which is only good for us, the gamers. As the weeks go by many good games are released one game after another, some good and some even better, but there are always the games there that are sheer rubbish.

Christmas is one of the busiest times for games developers, this is the one part of the year where more people buy games than any other time, whether it be the actual gamer buying the game are a person buying a game for the gamer. However, for the non-gamer buying a game things can get a little confusing, they have no idea which games are good to buy as they are not up to speed with the industry. When getting a game they have to go on either the name or cover picture, but as the old saying goes, don’t judge a book by its cover, In this case, a game. The next method is to look on the back to see the pictures and see what the games graphics look like and get a picture of what the games about. This method while sometimes is all good and well, and often produces some good games that have been bought, often though it does not and the game turns out to be very bad, the developers seem to have an urge to put the best graphics on the back, which are sometimes not even from the in game. And this is what sometimes developers thrive up on.

When I say developers I don’t mean developers in general, Companies like Konami and Namco and many many others give us lots of top games all year round, yes they sometimes have an odd one that is not very good, but more often than not they are good quality. But there are developers out there that make a shoddy game just in time for Christmas that seems to be on purpose. There aim is to confuse the non-gamers into buying there games using the clever little tricks I mentioned. They do this every year, if you look on all consoles, where there are the usual great games out, and lots of them all competing to be the best, there are also many rubbish games out there that have clearly been rushed and just put straight into production and put on a shelf .All just for the sake of money, and all there thinking about is to make profit, ok, that’s what all company’s do, but many put time and effort in to gain reputation and too make a profit. These ‘bad company’s don’t, they are just there to put not much in and get lots out by tricking many innocent people.

Every year this seems to happen, and this year it seems to be more apparent. With the price drop of PS2, and the DC going cheap there are more new console owners buying now than every before, which may mean a lot of in-experienced buyers out there. When they see a good front cover they may like the look of it, and the same with the back. It can happen, and I have experienced this with 4*4 Evolution, the front and back cover looked very good and I thought it would be good too. Not hearing much on it I decided to get it, and what a mistake it was, the game was crap, and that’s all I have to say about that, luckily it only cost £20. But with more new buyers out there the developers of bad games will have a field day, with many of there games possible being bought.

Looking round the magazines and Internet sites you can really see the amount of bad games that have recently come out. The first example is Fifa 2002. Ok, EA claim to have made huge improvements in the game, with a new passing system and the rest. But clearly they have not spent enough time on the game, they have not gone into the depths needed to make it good, and able to compete with the best of them. This is a classic case of a rushed game, but all the same it will sell. The cover alone will sell it, it Fifa!! Everyone knows the name of Fifa, whether you are not player or not, you will have heard of it. And that’s what EA wanted, a well known name that will sell. Another example is Test Drive: Off road Wide open, in many reviews this game failed to get over 50% and is clearly not good enough to be on your PS2 list. This game is one of many in this franchise and there still is to be a good one among them. The developer is known as Angel Studios, not the most famous of company’s, and this is why, they make poor games that sell and make them money, every year there is a new Test Drive, and there are plenty of other poor games that they have made for there profit. There are also many other bad games on the market, and many released recently, and all these are selling at £35-40 which is too much for the game you are buying for the quality that they offer, and is really unfair for the people that are involved.

It really often makes me wonder how these people have the nerve to sell there games along side AAA titles. There reputation cannot be doing very well when they put Test drive up against GT3. All I can say is that thanks to places like here on SR and Magazines we have a place where we can find out if the game is really any good, then we can make a decision on whether to buy it.

Still though, with Christmas around the corner bad games still come out, and always will until the majority of people realise they should research what to buy first, after all, it is £40 and that is a fair some of money, and its in your interest that its not wasted. With the many great games now it would be a shame to miss out because you made the wrong choice.

Remember, make sure you know what you are buying, don’t let the developers get your money that easy.

Cheers

The Pro

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.