GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Edge 124"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/05/03 at 18:37
Regular
Received the latest issue from the post today, and it has to be one of the best ones n ages in terms of features. The mag goes on about the philosophy of reviews and review scores themselves, how much they "debated" over the Halo score.

The issue also contains a great feature on the influence of PR, a dance article and an extensive preview on Half Life. Finally, they also abandoned review scores, in a way.

When you see it in the shops, be sure to pick it up if you want a good read.
Fri 16/05/03 at 23:52
Regular
phuzzy wrote:

> OPS2 is too expensive though..

Plus its written by a bunch of retards who, instead of reporting on games news, show pictures of breasts on Xbox.
Fri 16/05/03 at 16:58
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I buy too many magazines.

Started buying gamesTM after getting the first issue, missed number 3 though.

Edge I buy from time to time. Like the articles and just to browse the job stuff about the industry.

NGC and NOM I buy both every month.

Bought last 2 issues of GamesMaster.

OPS2 is too expensive though..
Fri 16/05/03 at 16:29
Regular
"you've got a beard"
the latest GamesTM has a good section about the NES....
i'm all about the NES :)

i'm still sticking by Edge though, they're pretty on the ball with industry standards and requirements, even if they can look a little "style over substance" sometimes..

....and mr. biffo definately does not suck ;)
Fri 16/05/03 at 16:01
FM, the review scores are just replaced by question marks on the review pages, to discourage the reader from reading the number before the review first. It's a psychological thing.

I also buy Games TM every month, but (and don't swear at me for this) I think its writing style is slightly immature - they tend to question everything about a game or whatever for a good paragraph or two before getting on with the preview.

The Retro section, although incorporating the same writing style, is still a good read (I'm considering purchasing a "sweet potato"), the pictures are more crisper than in Edge (eye candy always helps) and it has interesting articles and interviews, like the Elixir Studios one in Issue 3.
Fri 16/05/03 at 15:54
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I read NGC, and I pick up GamesMaster, CUBE or GamesTM if they have something special as the free gift.

But NGC is the only magazine I purchase every month.
Fri 16/05/03 at 15:45
"slightlyshortertagl"
I'd pay £4 to read Redeye alone.

He rocks.
Fri 16/05/03 at 13:20
Regular
"smile, it's free"
The thing is, if you're the sort of person who thinks review scores are so important that you'll judge a magazine on them, you're not the sort of person who should be reading Edge in any case.
Fri 16/05/03 at 12:22
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Totoro wrote:
> Yes, Games tm is a very good games magazine. It's fairly expensive at
> 4 quid

I guess I really should subscribe :S
Fri 16/05/03 at 12:21
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Yes, Games tm is a very good games magazine. It's fairly expensive at 4 quid, but for that price you get plenty of good reviews and a bit of classic retro info. The Zelda issue in particular had many very good sections about the history of Nintendo and the Zelda franchise. Good stuff.

There's something about Edge I don't like, I think it's their sense of over-importance and style over susbstance.
Fri 16/05/03 at 12:15
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I've been converted to Games tm. Its the best because it treats games in a mature manner, without being patronising. Plus if you subscribe its only £2 a month.

yeay! Games TM

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.