GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games in the media"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/10/01 at 00:36
Regular
We all love games, don't we?! But the thing with this booming industry is the fact that we barely see them in the media. Very annoying!

Many popular developers like Nintendo and Sega don't really have their own spotlight when it comes to advertising. Sure we see a little now and then, but I don't think it's enough.

The Playstation 2 is the most popular console currently because you see ads everywhere with a massive 'Playstation2' plated. The most obvious event where PS2 is advertised is football. Playstation 2 sponsors some footie programs that is why they're so popular. Football advertising is one of the highest and best places to advertise. Loads of people watch football all over the world, and suddenly they could see your ad on the side-boards making them curious. This is why many top companies invest in sponsoring football.
The PS2's success owes it all to advertising. How else would anyone know about it? Most of us have seen the 'Third Place' ads, catchy because it's quite hard to understand. It leaves you thinking about it even when the advert has finished. Adverts like these are the best gaming-wise. They have a deep meaning based right in the core of the development, which visibly seems to draw more and more audiences into purchasing.

So why's the PS2 the most visible advert all over the world? What about the legendary Nintendo and Sega? Why don't they advertise their consoles anymore?
Sure, when the N64 arrived it was advertised everywhere, but why's it stopped its advertising? Mainly because they've realised the popularity state and don't think it worthy anymore to invest in advertising. But still the N64 is very popular even though it's passed its expiry date. Again this is all due to advertising. Magazines, Tv, shops and Internet. Advertising surrounds us all in our daily lives, absorbing our concentration to focus on the ad.
I would give advice to Nintendo just to boost the popularity of their upcoming Gamecube. Advertise! It doesn't matter where just make sure you place ads where they can be very well seen. Okay, it's all well and good that we, the dedicated gamers, know about the release because we research, but there are still many out there that don't have a clue about it. This is why developers should advise a lot more often, especially on the telly where most of the population can see it. They may be patiently waiting for one of their soaps to start after the roll of adverts, then suddenly they see a Playstation ad and are instantly gobsmacked by it. You never know, it could happen.

Games are based in some places in the media, but I feel that their presence is not felt enough in the world. We may have magazines and websites all dedicated to gaming, but we need more. More on telly, especially sport programs and even in newpapers...maybe The Sun.
Once again Playstation is showing another important example for the games industry. Everyone knows the 'Third Place' ads because it is advertised most of the time. Even the PS2's games are being advertised like the much loved Gran Turismo 3. Such fantastic adverts leave viewers stunned in amazement.
Not many games are advertised on Tv so most of the time we don't know when they're release. We have to go elsewhere to find the info. Nowadays, game advertising is very rare and simply I don't like it! There should be more adverts, at least showing us the quality of the game or most wanted the release date.
I'm sure Microsoft's new arrival, Xbox, will surely be advertised when, or even better, before being released. If Microsoft want a good start from their inexperience in the console world then advertising is the best way.

They're evrywhere and very visible, so what are developers waiting for. Place those banners up, sponsor sporting events and be seen!!!
Wed 31/10/01 at 22:17
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
u could say the 3rd place ads are genius but in my opinion u are just over analysing them. I don't think they are genius, cos all I see is some strange black and white ad trying to make me buy a PS2, but tells me nothing about the PS2 or its' games. I think displaying the games is much better and its' not some marketing ploy, just normal marketing.
Wed 31/10/01 at 22:16
I think that David Lynch ad lost a few people early on.

I like the ad with the dear that gets hit by the car :-)
Wed 31/10/01 at 22:10
Regular
"I like cheese"
The I Am The Wolfman advert is pure class. :D

The Third Place didn't work at first, but they're improving all the time. And anyway, it's better than hardly any advertising at all, which is seemingly all Nintendo have to offer...usually. {:)
Wed 31/10/01 at 22:03
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
NEWS JUST IN!

PS2 have produced another 'Third Place' advert. It's called The Wolfman! And I'm sure when you see it, jaws will drop wondering what the hell just happened or what the hell it's all about.

Still, PS2's ads have deep meanings, especially this latest editon, which states "Be who you want to be in the Third Place". A true classic!

:oD
Wed 31/10/01 at 00:36
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
We all love games, don't we?! But the thing with this booming industry is the fact that we barely see them in the media. Very annoying!

Many popular developers like Nintendo and Sega don't really have their own spotlight when it comes to advertising. Sure we see a little now and then, but I don't think it's enough.

The Playstation 2 is the most popular console currently because you see ads everywhere with a massive 'Playstation2' plated. The most obvious event where PS2 is advertised is football. Playstation 2 sponsors some footie programs that is why they're so popular. Football advertising is one of the highest and best places to advertise. Loads of people watch football all over the world, and suddenly they could see your ad on the side-boards making them curious. This is why many top companies invest in sponsoring football.
The PS2's success owes it all to advertising. How else would anyone know about it? Most of us have seen the 'Third Place' ads, catchy because it's quite hard to understand. It leaves you thinking about it even when the advert has finished. Adverts like these are the best gaming-wise. They have a deep meaning based right in the core of the development, which visibly seems to draw more and more audiences into purchasing.

So why's the PS2 the most visible advert all over the world? What about the legendary Nintendo and Sega? Why don't they advertise their consoles anymore?
Sure, when the N64 arrived it was advertised everywhere, but why's it stopped its advertising? Mainly because they've realised the popularity state and don't think it worthy anymore to invest in advertising. But still the N64 is very popular even though it's passed its expiry date. Again this is all due to advertising. Magazines, Tv, shops and Internet. Advertising surrounds us all in our daily lives, absorbing our concentration to focus on the ad.
I would give advice to Nintendo just to boost the popularity of their upcoming Gamecube. Advertise! It doesn't matter where just make sure you place ads where they can be very well seen. Okay, it's all well and good that we, the dedicated gamers, know about the release because we research, but there are still many out there that don't have a clue about it. This is why developers should advise a lot more often, especially on the telly where most of the population can see it. They may be patiently waiting for one of their soaps to start after the roll of adverts, then suddenly they see a Playstation ad and are instantly gobsmacked by it. You never know, it could happen.

Games are based in some places in the media, but I feel that their presence is not felt enough in the world. We may have magazines and websites all dedicated to gaming, but we need more. More on telly, especially sport programs and even in newpapers...maybe The Sun.
Once again Playstation is showing another important example for the games industry. Everyone knows the 'Third Place' ads because it is advertised most of the time. Even the PS2's games are being advertised like the much loved Gran Turismo 3. Such fantastic adverts leave viewers stunned in amazement.
Not many games are advertised on Tv so most of the time we don't know when they're release. We have to go elsewhere to find the info. Nowadays, game advertising is very rare and simply I don't like it! There should be more adverts, at least showing us the quality of the game or most wanted the release date.
I'm sure Microsoft's new arrival, Xbox, will surely be advertised when, or even better, before being released. If Microsoft want a good start from their inexperience in the console world then advertising is the best way.

They're evrywhere and very visible, so what are developers waiting for. Place those banners up, sponsor sporting events and be seen!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.