GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Depth of Multiplayer"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/10/01 at 23:59
Regular
Isnít Mario Tennis a wonderful game? Isnít it THE best tennis game ever to be created?

From good-old, great-game producing Nintendo came the most enjoyable, simplistic, joyful and exciting Tennis game ever to grace the gaming industry. Not only does it have the visual quality to have you drooling, but game play to match AND send you into a gaming frenzy; Which is why it is easily one of the most-played multi-player games in my socially-active bedroom.

Almost everyday after school I invite my friends around for a spot of multi-player madness. This usually involves us hectically playing Perfect Dark, Mario Golf, Super Smash Bros. and, of course Mario Tennis. Itís always great fun, and we end up playing ëtill the cows come home.

Anyway, the reason I am writing about Mario Tennis of all games to choose from, is because it springs to mind when the word ëtacticsí is used. Yeah, we can all get really immersed in Perfect Dark or Mario Golf, and even become hysterical when playing Smash Bros., but none of those games can be played so much as to come up with an almost perfect tactic in which victory is almost certain. What I am saying is that myself and a mate discovered (after an endless amount of doubles matches) an easy way to win. It works best against two ëintense difficultyí computer players, it simply doesnít work as well against humans because we are not programmed to do certain things, or follow a set routine, instead, we are unpredictable (most of the time ;-D); so donít get too cocky about predicting a victory over your chums.

So, want to know how to guarantee yourself victory in a doubles match with a mate against two ëintenseí rated computer players? Then read on...

Before you even begin the match thereís an important choice to make. Each character has their-own unique quality about them. First of all there are the ëspeedyí characters: Baby Mario, Yoshi and Birdo; perfect for those wide, tight-angled shots that are usually impossible to get to ñ use their agility wisely, and you canít go too wrong with these fellas. There are also the two ëTrickyí characters. However, Iíd advise only the more experienced player tackle these two tricky blighters. Thereís the ëPowerí characters ñ and you donít have to be a genius to work out who these three are: Wario, Donkey Kong and Bowser. Oh yeah, and DK Jr ñ a secret character. And last of all are the ëTechniqueí characters: good-old squeaky-voiced Toad, the two weakling-women, Peach and Daisy and of course, Waluigi ñ Luigiís evil cousin, just like Wario is to Mario. And then there are the two average players to consider: The Italian brothers, Mario and Luigi. They work well with any of the other characters and therefore are the easy choice to make in case you canít make your mind up.

Enough blabbering on about the characters ñ on to the tactics!

As you start the match one of you two are serving. No matter what, with any of the characters, serve across court, so to push them wide and force them to (usually) hit a high, powerful top-spin shot which should, depending on the ability of your mate, lead to your first, easy point on the road towards an easy victory. But, the problem really begins when you serve to the right against the computer teamís secind player. He or she is a lot more unpredictable, and therefore both of you should stay exactly where you are at the beginning of the point. But get who ever is at the net to stand in the tramlines to prevent the commonly occuring ëpassí shot which is likely to annoy you when done more than five times. Once you have made sure that no irritating pass shots can be achieved, get ready to embark on a long and tedious rally between the two opposite back-court players. The tactic here is to tell your mate, (who might find the temptation of straying slightly into the middle of the court, to intercept one of the top-spin shots hit from the rallying computer player and get a good smash shot in to win the point), that YOU are going to ëedgeí inwards a little during the rally. Getting closer and closer towards the net until you are in the perfect position for the smash ñ this should win you the point. Now all you have to do is perform both of those handy tactics at the right time to guarantee yourself the first game, and all the games when itís your serve.

Now, for anything else, such as the computer playerís serves, simply stand at the back of the court and get a rally going. This is where a ëTechniqueí player would come in handy for those accurate back-court shots. A speedy fella wouldnít be of no use, either ñ Iíd recommend Baby Mario and Toad ñ the perfect team.

So the words to say when playing are ìIím going to ëedgeí my way in, mate...î and ìStay at the ëpassí positionî. Always works for me and my trusty companion. You may think we are sad for doing this, or you might think we are taking it a little too seriously, but our aim is to complete the exhibition score chart for doubles on intense difficulty ñ and it will take a long time to do.

So, into the tactics side of the topic ñ have any of you tried ëspecialí tactics to try and improve the way you play, or your gaming experience? :D

Iíve already heard of internet, erm, ëteamsí or ëgangsí who take strategy games such as Command and Conquer a little too seriously and end up acting like real commandos or something, instead of having fun, which is essentially what games are for....right? :D

Anyway, I suppose you can take games a little too far than necessary, like the sad people Iíve just mentioned, but what Iím asking you is ñ have you got any particular tactic that you use on Perfect Dark to ensure a winner? How about Super Smash Brothers? No? Ah well, looks like Iím the only one...

Letís hope that the up-coming GameCube will be able to supply us with the sort of unforgettable multi-player experience weíve had the privilege to enjoy, eh?

SHOCKY
Thu 01/11/01 at 09:32
Regular
Perfect Dark and Smash Brothers are made of hundreds of little tactics that you have to string together in order to become a master.

In Perfect Dark I generally try to aim for the head.

In Smash Brothers I fight to the style of my character (Normally DK, Samus or Ness).

On any multiplayer game the trick is to adapt to beat your opponenets style.

Both player adapt and improve to rise above their opponent.

That is why it's rarely repetitive and will always be more exciting than the single player.
Wed 31/10/01 at 20:36
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> My tactic for winning Perfect Dark is basically pick up some combat boosts then
> go sick John Woo stylee with twin Magsec 4s, works everytime, my mates are too
> stupid too know what's going on, there all fumbling around walking into walls
> saying "this didn't happen in Goldeneye" while i'm pumping bullet
> after bullet into their skulls.

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

My tactic is Circling opponents and trying get behind them and then pummle there head with K7 Ammo or Hand Gun
Wed 31/10/01 at 19:44
Regular
No one said to use the tactic all the time, I use it occasionally. Most the time it's a case of run round pick up gun, find friends attempt to kill the little buggers, oh cack got shot in the face, start again.
Wed 31/10/01 at 19:36
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
If can only kill people one waay then you arent that good a gamer. Besides what is the point of doing things such as always going on facility, when you know you can win. Where is the fun in that?
Wed 31/10/01 at 19:27
Regular
You see I new that was gonna post twice, grrr stupid server thing
Wed 31/10/01 at 19:27
Regular
My tactic for winning Perfect Dark is basically pick up some combat boosts then go sick John Woo stylee with twin Magsec 4s, works everytime, my mates are too stupid too know what's going on, there all fumbling around walking into walls saying "this didn't happen in Goldeneye" while i'm pumping bullet after bullet into their skulls.

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Wed 31/10/01 at 19:26
Regular
My tactic for winning Perfect Dark is basically pick up some combat boosts then go sick John Woo stylee with twin Magsec 4s, works everytime, my mates are too stupid too know what's going on, there all fumbling around walking into walls saying "this didn't happen in Goldeneye" while i'm pumping bullet after bullet into their skulls.

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Wed 31/10/01 at 19:23
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
In Perfect Dark a mate of mine always insists on playing Facility cos its 1 of the VERY few levels he knows the layout of, and he usually wants to play with Laptop guns (cos they r cool), so we usually end up setting up a 'base' in the corridor of the bottling rooms. We each put a laptop gun on one of the walls and hide behind one of the jutting out bits on the side of the walls until we hear a door open when we pop out using the 'hold R press < or > C' technique, take aim and FIRE! It's pretty cool especially when its 2 vs. a lot of Dark or Perfect sims.

Also on the level with four coloured 'bases' (the level may actually be called Base... I can't remember tho) it's fun to play a game where u and sum mates all meet in 1 base and get some combat boosts. each get a decent weapon and exit the base by the bottom exit, using the combat boost as u do so. Most sims will be waiting at the top level and u can pick em off when it's in slow mo, or some will come down thru other base doors and u have a shoot out with em!

There are loads of other little games I have devised with PD , its just such a cool game!
Wed 31/10/01 at 18:41
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Mario Tennis is going to be me next GAD choice I think.
Wed 31/10/01 at 18:03
Regular
"Wasting away"
POP POP POPEDY POP POP EYE.

Someone read this damn thing, this man took a long time in making this so have some damn courtesy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.