GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Virginia Tech Shooter"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/04/07 at 18:40
Regular
I assume most of you have heard about this in the news today

EDIT - Current figure now stands at 32 students shot dead at Virginia Tech College, Blackburn, USA.

All Police have confirmed is there was a heavily armed, ammunition carrying Asian man - who was killed. However, they're looking for a possible accomplice.

Apparently it's the worst occurence of this type of shooting since the six students were shot at the Kent State University for their Anti-Vietnam protest, back at the start of the 70s.

Story Here
Fri 18/05/07 at 07:18
Regular
psh

someone's hot for teacher :P
Thu 17/05/07 at 23:24
Regular
"undertaker"
hi LADY BIRD hows you tonight are you single? im 19 and single from mark
Sun 29/04/07 at 23:34
Regular
"8==="
Ladybird wrote:
> Everpain wrote:
> I'm wondering why this thread is sticky.
>
> Me too.
Sun 29/04/07 at 22:36
Regular
Everpain wrote:
> I'm wondering why this thread is sticky.

Me too.
Sun 29/04/07 at 16:43
Regular
"Author of Pain"
I'm wondering why this thread is sticky.

Humanity is at fault for all human failures, regardless of source. Until mankind can shoulder responsibility for the consequences of its (more often lack of) actions, rather than blaming whoever it is who enacts said consequences, the state of humanity will continue to deteriorate.

Terrorism, suicide, bullying, deviancy. These are mislabelled as the problems, when in reality they are little more than symptoms.

You don't treat cancer with painkillers.
Thu 26/04/07 at 03:42
Regular
Sibs wrote:
> Ladybird wrote:
> No, I'm not. You've narrowed your own definition of terrorism
> to make your argument fit.
>
> Meh. Nowadays I'm sure most would not define school shootings as
> acts of terrorism. I have no idea what the 'dictionary
> definition' is, but given the context terrorism is always used
> in now, I wouldn't have thought people would class school
> shootings as such, unless carried out by a politically motivated
> group. I could be wrong...
>

The way I see it, dictionary definition's aside, terrorism is provoking fear through the act of violence, no matter what the underlying motivations are.

>
> Regardless, school shootings terrorise our nation with the fear
> that our children are not safe in the educational environments
> we are all mandated to send them to every day.
>
> But, statistically, a kid is probably FAR more likely to get run
> over, etc. than shot by a gunman/woman at school.

You'd think. That's pretty much the reason why it's so shocking to our society that all these shootings are even happening at all. It has instilled fear in all of us, terrorised parents with the belief that our children are not even safe in what should be the safest place.. where we send them almost everyday.

Just in my community alone, there has been a shooting in a middle school just up the road. A boy from a dysfunctional home was apparently reaching out for attention, for someone to recognise he was in turmoil at home. My children knew him and my nephew had breakfast with him that day.

This latest shooting at VA Tech comes on the anniversary of the Columbine massacre that occurred in Texas on April 20, 1999. It's the incident that set the precedence.. that seems to have spun a slurry of subsequent school shootings.

What I recall the most horrific of the accounts was the question those boys asked their peers before shooting them to death. It was "Do you believe in God?" Can you just imagine how terrified those children were? It makes me cry thinking of it.
Thu 26/04/07 at 03:12
Regular
Alfonse wrote:
> Your country sucks as much as ours does!

Aye, although I'm not trying to defend America or even trying to compare it to the UK. I am however, trying to dispell terrorism as just being a politically motivated act. People terrorise eachother with other motives all the time and in all different countries too. It's unfortunate all the way around.
Thu 26/04/07 at 02:10
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
pb wrote:
> It's been shown time and again that the death sentence does not
> stop crime and isn't a deterent, certainly not to anyone who
> isn't thinking 'straight' in the first place.

I dont think anybody has shown that. I think its virtually impossible to show it.
Wed 25/04/07 at 23:35
"possibly impossible"
Ladybird wrote:
> Having psychological issues does not preclude an individual from
> being convicted of terroristic acts. If individuals are that ill
> they can not control themselves, they should be confined to
> hospitalisation. Although most attempts at suicide are a reach
> for help. With the lack of access to medical care, I can see
> how many fall through the cracks and how an ill individual might
> lash-out at society.

If you don't find and treat the cause, then you won't stop the effect. What I meant by 'labelling everything as one thing' was that you're not looking at the individual cause/motive in each case. I believe that there is a pattern and usually the same or similar reasons for all these school shootings and you need to look at this in order to stop future events.

Yes, mentally ill people should be found and helped earlier, we have the same problem in this country with a number of recent cases of murder by people who should have been in care. Yet the current government's idea of 'care' is to let them live in a house in a street with maybe one or two visits a week from a social worker.

>
> The way I see it, the law in the US is pretty lenient when it
> comes to offenders. We put them up with government-subsidized
> three hots and a cot for three life-time sentences (psh) and
> call it good. If they're really REALLY bad, they get euthanized
> with civility and even the morality of that is still under
> debate. In some countries, they'd get hung or shot in a firing
> line for their offenses. I don't hear of school shootings in
> those countries at all..
>
It's been shown time and again that the death sentence does not stop crime and isn't a deterent, certainly not to anyone who isn't thinking 'straight' in the first place. In Isreal children are tried as adults sent to prison for small displays of rebellion. Even if this stopped crime, it wouldn't exactly be a good thing to bring to our countries.

The question is; do you bite a child to tell them that biting is wrong? It's the same as killing someone to show them killing is wrong. For a country like the US that is allegedly Christian (you know, that religion that says money is evil and you need to be humble) it's a bit strange that some states still believe in a non-christian form of punishment.

>
>
>
> In Spain, for instance, there are less pressures on youths at
> school, families are close and morals are built in to the
> society, so you get far less general violent crime, teenage
> pregnancies and family splits, but there is also a belief that
> people should be ‘passionate’ about things, so you get far more
> crimes of passion than you would somewhere else. They also
> express respect for law and order whilst complying with very
> little unless it suits them.
>
>
> Tis true, there has been a breakdown in the moralistic fiber of
> our society in the past few decades, predominantly in the US,
> but you see it in other countries as well. Its my belief that
> the economy has a lot to do with it, taking both parents (if
> they're lucky to have both) away into the workforce to make ends
> meet, leaving poor Johnny to be raised like a wild weed in a day
> care facility. I'd go into depth right now, but I've actually
> got to start getting ready for work.

Certainly single parents will find it harder to instill virtues in their children if they're being brought up by strangers, even by other family members. But the issue is also with forcing both parents out to work where the same situation occurs. I agree that governments in the US and UK should change their stance on funding families and encouraging children to be brought up by day care.
Wed 25/04/07 at 18:55
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Ladybird wrote:
> No, I'm not. You've narrowed your own definition of terrorism
> to make your argument fit.

Meh. Nowadays I'm sure most would not define school shootings as acts of terrorism. I have no idea what the 'dictionary definition' is, but given the context terrorism is always used in now, I wouldn't have thought people would class school shootings as such, unless carried out by a politically motivated group. I could be wrong...

> Regardless, school shootings terrorise our nation with the fear
> that our children are not safe in the educational environments
> we are all mandated to send them to every day.

But, statistically, a kid is probably FAR more likely to get run over, etc. than shot by a gunman/woman at school. Yesyes, there's a big difference, but the end result of the kid dying is the same, but we don't 'fear' roads... I dunno. It's a bit like the London tube bombings, when they happened some people were scared of travelling for a while (fortunately I wasn't around at the time, but was using the tube again a few months later) but statistically it's far more dangerous to drive to wherever you're going than get the underground (or so I heard at the time).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.