GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'Quiditch'"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/10/01 at 12:37
Regular
A great game to make would be 'Quiditch'. So far people have only read about it in the hugely succesful books that are 'Harry Potter' and would love to play it in the comfort of their homes on their consoles.

You could choose to do the real pro championships or just school-boy championships where 'Harry' would be available.

You could decide what position you would like to play in.

The more games you win, the more money you will recieve to buy new things such as a new stadium or new brooms for your team and much, much more.

In the multiplayer mode you a few mates could make your own team, and could enter your own team into a championship to try and win the cup.
Thu 06/12/01 at 15:11
I think that it is fairly likely that there will be quidditch in a computer game sometime sometime soon if not a game in its own right. I however doubt that we will have ea sports doing quidditch 2002, followed by similarly named sequels.
Fri 23/11/01 at 14:15
I believe that Quidditch would make a great game for any console. It would be better than any other sport game if it was made properly.
Fri 23/11/01 at 14:15
Regular
"listen to the maste"
I've seen the new Harry Potter movie, and the quidditch scenes look really good. I think with the amazing power of the PlayStation 2, a quidditch game could be made really good, like ISS on broomsticks???
Thu 01/11/01 at 19:50
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> Armitage Shanks wrote:
> Wouldnt it work like computer football/ rugby/
> baseball/ > etc... games?

How may fooball game have you seen with four
> balls? The ball is the centre of the players attention in these games - if
> there are four balls how are his attentions divided?

lol... I didnt meaning for it to be taken as a literal statement... I just ment that it was possible to make a team game, with several players on each side, to be transferred to a computer/console... and that you didnt need to pick one player and stick with him throughout the enitre match... Not that they would adopt the Football game style strategy.

And the point of the
> Snitches difficulty to catch is rather irrelevant, don't you think? It is
> rather hard to do and overhead kick from a corner, with ball going into top
> corner. It's hard to use a rifle to take down a guard on a look out tower a
> couple of hundered metres away. It's hard to drive a Formula 1 car. yet I've
> done them all in computer gaming.

Thats the point... not to make it impossible to find the snitch... but to make it suitable difficult that people dont spend the entire game waiting for it to come, and ignoring the other parts of it? :)
Thu 01/11/01 at 18:50
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Armitage Shanks wrote:
> Wouldnt it work like computer football/ rugby/ baseball/ > etc... games?

How may fooball game have you seen with four balls? The ball is the centre of the players attention in these games - if there are four balls how are his attentions divided?

And the point of the Snitches difficulty to catch is rather irrelevant, don't you think? It is rather hard to do and overhead kick from a corner, with ball going into top corner. It's hard to use a rifle to take down a guard on a look out tower a couple of hundered metres away. It's hard to drive a Formula 1 car. yet I've done them all in computer gaming.
Thu 01/11/01 at 13:40
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> It would make an awful game though - there is too much going on with four
> different balls for one player to control a whole team at once. You could take
> the roll of just one player - but then which player?

Wouldnt it work like computer football/rugby/baseball/etc... games?

Threre is an essential
> flaw with the game in that whoever gets the Golden Snitch is pretty much
> guaranteed to win - so then assuming that you want to take the roll of the most
> important player in the team then you should be the Seeker whos job it is to get
> that Golden Snitch. However, as it isn't in player - you'd spend all but the
> last instant of the game waiting to spot the snitch, which make for a dull game.
> However, as trying to spot the snitch is the main job of the seeker, you can't
> switch between this position and another as you'll need to devote 100% of your
> time looking out for the snitches arrival.

But I think the golden snitch is supposed to be very hard to catch, and moves very fast... so cating it would be almost impossible...

I suppose Harry would succed in winning all the time because he is the hero...

Having a real person try and do it would be a very hit am miss affir... most games never having it being considered seriously at all...
Thu 01/11/01 at 02:01
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
It would make an awful game though - there is too much going on with four different balls for one player to control a whole team at once. You could take the roll of just one player - but then which player?

Threre is an essential flaw with the game in that whoever gets the Golden Snitch is pretty much guaranteed to win - so then assuming that you want to take the roll of the most important player in the team then you should be the Seeker whos job it is to get that Golden Snitch. However, as it isn't in player - you'd spend all but the last instant of the game waiting to spot the snitch, which make for a dull game. However, as trying to spot the snitch is the main job of the seeker, you can't switch between this position and another as you'll need to devote 100% of your time looking out for the snitches arrival.

So, to give you something to do you take the roll of another position - but then you are stuck too. If the team that gets the snitch almost always wins, what will your playing achieve? The other positions rack up a few points, but these will be pretty meaningless in the long run unless your team gets the snitch. So, you hand over the whole destiny of the match to the computer controller Seeker and you're participation has little or nothing to do with the matches out come. Not a good position to be in either.

So, a quidditch game either has you waiting for the snitch to come along or have little or no influence in the game's out come - how can you make a game out of that?
Wed 31/10/01 at 19:50
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
There is a Quiditch (is that spelt properly?) game in production at the moment...

I think its going to be distributed by EA?

Although, I'm not completly sure... I just remeber reading an article from one of the net computer mags... games domain, Adrenaline Vault... who were talking to the developers at an early point in their development?
Wed 31/10/01 at 17:49
Thats sounds really good, i've played all the games on th Official Harry Potter Site, and their alright, theirs alot of homemade Quidditch games but their not up to much either. Maybe i could make that game, i've got a simple game creator, but i've made several decent Startrek Games. I'll try make one, watch out world, here come a new game from Eco Logic!
Fri 26/10/01 at 12:37
A great game to make would be 'Quiditch'. So far people have only read about it in the hugely succesful books that are 'Harry Potter' and would love to play it in the comfort of their homes on their consoles.

You could choose to do the real pro championships or just school-boy championships where 'Harry' would be available.

You could decide what position you would like to play in.

The more games you win, the more money you will recieve to buy new things such as a new stadium or new brooms for your team and much, much more.

In the multiplayer mode you a few mates could make your own team, and could enter your own team into a championship to try and win the cup.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.