GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"YOU HAVE NO TALENT : WHY YOU MAKE MONEY?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/10/01 at 20:58
Regular
I am fed up with the pointless drivel in the music industry that doesn't even attempt to get close to the mediocre line. Why are all these talentless people making so much money?

Look. Geri Halliwel, you can't sing to save your life, would you kindly shut up and choose a career you're skilled at. Every single song she has released has been incredibly successful, yet she her voice is bland and as drier than a desert, she think's she's pretty just because she's thinner than Mrs Beckham, she looks like a mixture of Madge Bishop from Neighbours (deceased as a character now anyway) and a shocked barn owl. No offence or anything...

That's not all.

Pop Music - why is it so popular? Because it's called pop = popular music, it sounds happy and jumpy, and samey - but more importantly the 'popstars', as common as they are, can't really sing that well, have less creativity than a roundabout, but oh, they can smile when they mime - how sweet!!

Not.

Steps - utterly pathetic. No offence to any Steps fans, but this group are just awful.

No more naming, but you know what I'm talking about. They don't write their own music, can't play an instrument, but mime well, and if they're called H and look happy they can get away without singing anything.

I think it's crazy that decent music, dance music for example, doesn't reach the number one position in the charts more often, and is just ignored. So what if this music doesn't always have vocals? It's amazing to listen to and can put you in a really euphoric mood.

Anyway,

Rant over - more dance and trance music, less rubbish, respect to Linkin Park, Uncle Kracker and Eels.

Dan2K1

Tell me what you're thinking!!
Wed 31/10/01 at 15:30
Regular
Slaveunit wrote:
How many dance tracks are
> there where everything is exactly the same as everything else? Take a dance
> beat, add a cheesy 5-note riff over the top, some bird with a 2 line vocal and
> youre done. It's not exactly rocket science, is it?

Argue all you like, but
> from what I have heard from dance, there is about 10%talent, and 90% of the
> above.

Which is why you should NEVER listen to the radio if you want to hear proper music.

The radio just plays the mainstream stuff, same with any genre. If you want to hear proper dance, buy some albums.

Even better, get me on MSN and I'll do you a CD or something.
Wed 31/10/01 at 15:27
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Dr Gonzo wrote:

Who do you think write dance music then? Robots or
> animals or something. And are the keys that the majority of dance music are
> written on/played with not a real instrument?

> God I can't stand narrow minded people.

I am offended at being called narrow minded, I can appreciate some of it, acts like propellorheads show that it can have some brains, but the release of MTV/Music Generator just proves that you do not need any musical ability to write a tune of an equal standard to the stuff on the radio.

I went down my local music shop the other day, as I am toying with getting a new keyboard, and I was looking at Korgs and Rolands. These machines can produce releaseable quality tunes in minutes.

How many dance tracks are there where everything is exactly the same as everything else? Take a dance beat, add a cheesy 5-note riff over the top, some bird with a 2 line vocal and youre done. It's not exactly rocket science, is it?

Argue all you like, but from what I have heard from dance, there is about 10%talent, and 90% of the above.
Wed 31/10/01 at 15:20
Regular
WÚÛkiee M¯nßÜÄR wrote:
I'd rather they stood almost motionless in the middle
> of the stage and gave a decent delivery of the songs I like, than bop around all
> over the place trying to impress and completely ruin the song.

What's the point in that? You may as well sit at home and listen to the CD!

Surely you go to a gig/concert because you want a performance, something that a bought CD can't.

What's the point in buying a CD for £15, then spending another £15+ to watch them live if their just stand there? You may as well stay at home and listen to the CD, saving £15 in the process.

I would have thought the you go to a gig to see a performance, a show. Surely that's the whole point!
Wed 31/10/01 at 15:17
Regular
Slaveunit wrote:
Tempting.....but no thanks.

I'll stick to music written by
> real people playing real instruments, ta.

:D

Fair enough, but you're missing out on one of the most innovative areas of music in todays world...
Wed 31/10/01 at 14:30
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Slaveunit wrote:
> Your Honour wrote:

> If anyone wants to get into dance music, go and buy a
> CD called Pure Euphoria. It's fantastic, one of the best dance compilations I've
> ever heard.

I'll stick to music written by
> real people playing real instruments, ta.

Who do you think write dance music then? Robots or animals or something. And are the keys that the majority of dance music are written on/played with not a real instrument?

God I can't stand narrow minded people.
Wed 31/10/01 at 13:31
"High polygon count"
Dan2K1 wrote:
> They don't write their own music, can't play an instrument, but mime
> well

Not a lot different to an actor speaking lines written by someone else though, is it? It's the delivery that counts.

For what it's worth, though, most of them can sing very well. You may not like Steps, Hear'Say and the rest, but every one of Hear'Say can definitely sing very well, as can Steps - well, the girls at least - can't say I've really heard the guys.

The miming is a direct result of the 'image' factor that the music industry seems so nuts about these days. The music seems unimportant (regardless of whether it's actuallu any good or not), and it seems the majority of teenagers - the people that these groups are primarily aimed at - are an extremely fickle and easily-bored bunch.

Hence, to maintain interest and hold the attention of the audience, the 'popstars' must dance around a lot and wear sexy outfits.

You try singing in tune while bouncing around all over the place!

Trust me, miming is best in these cirumstances. I once saw Adam & The Ants live on TV, and Adam Ant was doing so much running around that the singing was absolutely terrible.

My opinion is that you watch a group, either on TV or at a live gig, because you like their music; that is - or should be - the most important thing. I'd rather they stood almost motionless in the middle of the stage and gave a decent delivery of the songs I like, than bop around all over the place trying to impress and completely ruin the song.
Wed 31/10/01 at 13:09
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
We have the radio on in my office, and it's littered with complete junk. (So Solid Crew can burn in hell), and as soon as something cool comes on, like SOAD, the others turn it off!
Wed 31/10/01 at 13:06
"possibly impossible"
Dan2K1 wrote:
> > more dance and trance music, less rubbish, respect to Linkin Park, Uncle Kracker
> and Eels.

Dan2K1

Tell me what you're thinking!!

Well, I thought you were being sarcastic at that point!

Really though, it is a matter of opinion, and I can't listen to dance music in the background, It was made for dancing so there's no point listening to it at home unless you live in a big hall with strobe lighting and trippy effects. Pop music I can listen to in the background, even grunge and rock.

Give me rock and metal any day, but I'm quite happy to accept some pop music.
Wed 31/10/01 at 13:06
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Your Honour wrote:

> If anyone wants to get into dance music, go and buy a CD called Pure Euphoria. It's fantastic, one of the best dance compilations I've ever heard.

I'll stick to music written by real people playing real instruments, ta.

:D
Wed 31/10/01 at 12:43
Regular
How can you say that dance and garage sound the same?!?!

I hate garage, but I love dance and trance.

If anyone wants to get into dance music, go and buy a CD called Pure Euphoria. It's fantastic, one of the best dance compilations I've ever heard.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.