GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Street Fighter IV (iPhone)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Street Fighter IV'.
Wed 19/05/10 at 23:59
"possibly impossible"
Squeeze
Imagine fitting a house inside a bottle, or maybe fitting Peter Kay into a size 8 dress without the use of a Special K diet and some compression equipment. It's just not possible. How, then, have Capcom managed to fit pretty much all of Street Fighter IV on to an iPhone?

Fighting Talk
Ok, so it only has 8 fighters altogether; Ken, Ryu,Blanka, Chun-Li, M.Bison, , Guile, Dhalsim, and Abel (with more coming in new updates, including Cammy) but aside from that it's pretty much all there.

Did you Touch Me?
What's that? How can it be any good when the iPhone doesn't have any controls? Well, surprisingly, it can. The touch screen joypad and 4 buttons (punch, kick and specials) may not be as complicated as the 6 button set up of the consoles but with a few fights under your belt you'll soon be pulling off all the traditional moves plus the new Super and Ultra moves with a flurish.

It's often the case that an iPhone port lives or dies on the virtual controls so hats off to Capcom for getting it right in such an important game.

Game on
Tournament is just as feature packed as the console release, a long campaign to get all the characters to win matches, a Training mode to help you learn your move, a Free Sparring mode which is a pretty nifty way to learn your moves in a real combat situation and, of course, the multiplayer.

Team up with a friend who has an iPhone and you can play a one on one match or tournament with them over bluetooth. It works very smoothly.

I Lost!
One thing missing out of all of this is a proper online multiplayer. It's sad that you can't just connect via 3G or even Wifi to play against players around the world,but the portability of the iPhone does mean that organising matches is a bit easier if you know someone with another copy of the game nearby. It's still somewhat of an opportunity missed though.

look Out!
Graphics are the one area where this game really shine, it attempts to look like the beautiful console version and for the most part it really does work. It's thanks in part to the small screen but Capcom artists have also done a wonderful job making each hand drawn 2.5D character stand out and I can safely say it's one of the best looking games on the device.

You Win
In short, Street Fighter IV is an amazing iPhone game.

9/10
Sat 22/05/10 at 17:25
Regular
I love this game. I'm looking forward to the Cammy update which we'll get for free! I would also like to see E Honda and Zangief added.
Thu 20/05/10 at 09:45
"possibly impossible"
Thanks Chris. I didn't have any time to write it until about 11:40, so I started then and just tried to get it all done before the time limit. Was an interesting experiment.

It helped that I knew pretty much what I wanted to say and had the game next to me in case I needed specific details (could never remember Abel's name).
Thu 20/05/10 at 08:51
Regular
"THIS IS SPARTA!"
LOL!
Thu 20/05/10 at 00:52
Regular
"How Ironic"
Talk about last minute! This is about 2 seconds eligible for a GAD, a record or what! :P Here's hoping for your 100th pb, great review.
Wed 19/05/10 at 23:59
"possibly impossible"
Squeeze
Imagine fitting a house inside a bottle, or maybe fitting Peter Kay into a size 8 dress without the use of a Special K diet and some compression equipment. It's just not possible. How, then, have Capcom managed to fit pretty much all of Street Fighter IV on to an iPhone?

Fighting Talk
Ok, so it only has 8 fighters altogether; Ken, Ryu,Blanka, Chun-Li, M.Bison, , Guile, Dhalsim, and Abel (with more coming in new updates, including Cammy) but aside from that it's pretty much all there.

Did you Touch Me?
What's that? How can it be any good when the iPhone doesn't have any controls? Well, surprisingly, it can. The touch screen joypad and 4 buttons (punch, kick and specials) may not be as complicated as the 6 button set up of the consoles but with a few fights under your belt you'll soon be pulling off all the traditional moves plus the new Super and Ultra moves with a flurish.

It's often the case that an iPhone port lives or dies on the virtual controls so hats off to Capcom for getting it right in such an important game.

Game on
Tournament is just as feature packed as the console release, a long campaign to get all the characters to win matches, a Training mode to help you learn your move, a Free Sparring mode which is a pretty nifty way to learn your moves in a real combat situation and, of course, the multiplayer.

Team up with a friend who has an iPhone and you can play a one on one match or tournament with them over bluetooth. It works very smoothly.

I Lost!
One thing missing out of all of this is a proper online multiplayer. It's sad that you can't just connect via 3G or even Wifi to play against players around the world,but the portability of the iPhone does mean that organising matches is a bit easier if you know someone with another copy of the game nearby. It's still somewhat of an opportunity missed though.

look Out!
Graphics are the one area where this game really shine, it attempts to look like the beautiful console version and for the most part it really does work. It's thanks in part to the small screen but Capcom artists have also done a wonderful job making each hand drawn 2.5D character stand out and I can safely say it's one of the best looking games on the device.

You Win
In short, Street Fighter IV is an amazing iPhone game.

9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.