GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of Duty: World at Bore"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call Of Duty 5 : World At War'.
Tue 18/05/10 at 19:37
Regular
"How Ironic"
With the most current Call of Duty game (Modern Warfare 2) being, in my eyes, a catastrophe, I had no choice but to backtrack to the older games. I decided to try and rank up on World at War, the last Treyarch release, as Infinity Ward seemed to be taking CoD in the wrong direction. The silent servers of Call of Duty 4 are now mostly filled with experts who have played the game since it was released, making them impossible to play against, and ruining the fun. So World at War would be my FPS until the next Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Evidently, World at War was also filled with experts, who hadn't made the switch to the Modern war scene, and who thought "Phooey" on the predator missle. I can picture these people, playing whilst dressed as nazis, with their iron crosses and Mein Kampf book open on the top of their Xbox. Ok, maybe that's abit extreme, but it's my method of showing how dedicated some of these players are.

My gripe today is not with the nazis and their controllers, but rather with the game itself. Now we all love downloadable content. Well I don't, so, we don't all love downloadable content, but alot of us do. It adds some extra content (as the name would suggest) to the game, wether that be in items, characters, locations or even a new section of gameplay. World at War is no different, and has it's own arsenal of DLC, which features primarily map packs.

Now these maps can be played on multiplayer. I personally don't want to fork out even more money on extra content which could've easily been put into the game straight away. It's like the way the TV repair man comes round to fix your socket, and all of a sudden, he notices your television needs a new discombobulator switch*, and that your fridge is leaking and your carpet has a distinct smell of breast milk. It's roping you in with a product, and then telling you that the original product doesn't work, and needs this and that, maybe add a fridge onto the side of your television set, or make you download a couple of lousy maps for a ridiculous price.

I've already said I don't bother with DLC, so you're probably wondering "What's this kid's problem?" My problem is that I cannot enjoy the multiplayer on this game, which I've payed for through the original purchase, because I get prompted every 5 seconds to buy a map pack. This seems like a stupid niggle at first, but when it comes up for the 100th time, you really don't feel like killing anybody, not even the nazis.

My idea, as mad as it may be. Make a seperate server specifically for people who have downloaded these maps. As it is, I spend more time in the menus than I do playing the game. Even when I get in, I get owned.

Rant Over. And Out.

*Discombobulator Switch is not an actual part of a television. Please do not seek advice regarding it
Thu 20/05/10 at 09:47
"possibly impossible"
Nice summary. I did have a copy of WAW at one point but it never got played because something else came along that I desperately wanted and the game got sacrificed as a trade-in.

Reading your review I'm glad I did!
Thu 20/05/10 at 08:36
Regular
"THIS IS SPARTA!"
OH no, you shouldnt have done that. O___o
Thu 20/05/10 at 08:13
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> You seemed to have missed the point of my article. It works in
> regards to gameplay, it's the constant map downloading it asks
> you to do which is annoying.

I was an idiot and bought the map pack yesterday. I feel so dirty!
Wed 19/05/10 at 16:16
Regular
"THIS IS SPARTA!"
Oh. O__o
Wed 19/05/10 at 16:05
Regular
"How Ironic"
You seemed to have missed the point of my article. It works in regards to gameplay, it's the constant map downloading it asks you to do which is annoying.
Wed 19/05/10 at 15:12
Regular
"THIS IS SPARTA!"
It does work on mine. Also, check out my xbox live gamertag. It is Sledgehammer70
Wed 19/05/10 at 15:05
Regular
"How Ironic"
Again, when it works it is.
Wed 19/05/10 at 15:02
Regular
"THIS IS SPARTA!"
WaW Is Awesome!
Wed 19/05/10 at 13:42
Regular
"How Ironic"
HM wrote:
> Sonic Chris wrote:
> When you can get in a game it is.
>
> I managed to get quite a few games recently - I seem to be doing
> better on this than I am at MW2. If I ever get called into war,
> I hope I slip through a wormhole and I am fighting in WW2!

Ditto, although the conditions would have been alot worse than modern day, the guns seems to be easier to use. Saying that, MW2 is only hard because of all the killstreak rewards that get called in every second, and I'm sure Al-Queda won't have access to such accurate predator missles and the likes :P
Wed 19/05/10 at 13:40
Regular
"How Ironic"
Exactly dav. If it happened say every 1 out of 10 games, then I wouldn't be fussed. But because it puts you back into the exact same game after you have quit, you end up switching game mode just to get started.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.