GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lies!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/04/07 at 15:40
Regular
I was walking through town today, thinking I might go to boots and try a fragrance. Some girl described Gucci 'pour homme' as smelling like sex. Only in a very good way. I was curious to investigate whether smelling like sex seemed like something I'd like to do.

My first instinct, being some way from boots, was not to bother. My second instinct was to think about all those girls who, apparently, like a man who smells of sex, and to put a little effort into my investigations.

As usual, there were bank-detail-stealing charity-nuisances lining the street, so I slipped into the crowd and kept my head down.
Suddenly, like the red sea before a soap-dodging greenpeace moses, the crowd parted, and I was stranded in the line of pestering.

Alas, you hero is a sucker of a nice-guy, and rather than just turning and running, I boldly tried to explain that I wasn't signing up to anything.

She accepted this premise, but sucked me into sales patter anyway. Little did she know that earlier that morning I had been discussing global warming with my barber, a committed sceptic, and I thwarted her every turn with doubts, disagreement and alternate views.
(Actually I didn't use any of the wisdom my barber had inserted in my brain, while attending to my head, but the warm-up served me valuably to flex my own views on the whole schenanigan.)

Did any of you see the recent documentary "The great global warming swindle"? It was a powerful - if occasionally flawed, sketchy and hypocritical - argument against the theory of global warming, and I, like many others, had been left uncertain of the truth in its wake.

According to my new greenpeace friend, who I was warming to (She didn't smell like a soap dodger. Though sadly she didn't smell of sex either. I considered asking her to join me in a coffee, but I doubt costa is rated much higher than starbucks by the committed), the documentary was half fabrication (with much of the backing evidence and research entirely made up) and half misrepresentation of the featured scientists' views - apparently they all wrote to greenpeace after the show to apologise, and explain that their interviews for the show were horribly twisted.

Essentially, the show was set out to be completely hollow, bogus trash, deemed invalid by anyone with any knowledge of the area.

Now, my normal reaction to such claims would be scepticism. But I quizzed my bedreadlocked acquaintance on her justifications for such outlandish claims, and she sounded like she'd done her research and investigated adequately. She also came across as very sincere.

Then again, as Jimmy Nail said, 'Don't believe the words of true believers' (worst mistake of my life buying that album).

So, to finally get to the point, Opinions - Is global warming scepticism a big lie or are the real liers the greenpeace crime lords who try to control our minds?

After we went our separate ways - me to the capitalist enterprises I'm indifferent to, her to the indifferently polluting targets of her bank-detail seeking enterprise (didn't quite work did it?) I stopped to buy a big issue. Clearly I'm a total sap for strangers stopping me in the street. I hand over £3, I think that's over twice the cover price, because I don't really care about the magazine, but I'm very supportive of people trying to build something for themselves.

I'm ready to breeze off feeling good about myself when the guy, after swiftly pocketing the loot, asks me for "Another three pounds please". I'm rather shocked.
"I'm sorry, those are all the coins I have on me" (True)
"I can change a note (etc etc etc)" - I very much doubt I'd actually get change, but regardless, his persistence is irritating me now.
I don't know if he's competing with the greenpeace girls for who can keep a sucker hanging around for longest, but now he has both hands on my arm and is telling me about nappies. Is there a homeless baby tramp? Surely he should be working selling magaines too?

It's quite a difficult situation. I don't entirely believe he has a family, but regardless, he's a guy in a tough situation trying to milk any help he's offered for all he can get.

But jeez, there's a limit to how much I'm prepared to lose in the street. Only when I've unpicked myself from his clutches and am making good my escape is there any expression of gratitude or goodwill.

I have no idea what to make of this at all. On one hand, I'm inclined to run away from him whenever I see him again, but then again, I can understand where he's coming from.

So I leave feeling bad about not helping the guy (I'm on a pretty comfortable salary now that I'm in a decent job, and feel very lucky to be where I am). Nevertheless I venture forth to Boots to test Gucci. It does smell a bit of sex, but in a good way. Very subtle, but apparently womens' sense of smell is better than mens.

I had a look for it in Savers. It wasn't there. I think I'll go dig it out on the internet.

I also tried to buy white trainers today. I came home with new brown trainers again. I have three pairs now (admittedly two of them are ready for the bin, but that's beside the point). I have neither black nor white trainers, and would like both. Instead I keep buying brown. I'm an idiot.

If the greenpeace chick had come for coffee with me, do you think we could ever have got past our differences in attitudes to polluting?
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:30
"possibly impossible"
Well, I think both sides have some valid arguements but stretch the truth and evidence in their favour.

The true impact is probably somewhere nearer to the middle of these two viewpoints. I feel that we do need to do something about Global Warming, there is some man-made element which needs to be slowed down, but we also need proper measurements of the natural effects and really work out how much the world can take from added man-made pollution of the atmosphere before jumping to conclusions.

There is an arguement that we could find out too late if we don't do anything now, but if we do as much as we can now and concentrate on the things that are beneficial to us as a planet anyway (quality of life etc) this seems the sanest option.
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:26
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Two, three topics of discussion? In one thread? Chaos I say! It'll bring disrepute to the forums, chaos, anarchy!

Anyway. I can't say I'm skeptical of global warming. I saw some diagrams of ice caps, where they were x years ago (I forget the year, but it wasn't ages ago) and then where they are now... It's a drastic decrease.

I think it's clear that the majority of the scientific community agree climate change is occurring on some scale. There are those that disagree completely, but as far as I'm aware they're in the minority. Even the US is now bending to pressure, going from the position of denying climate change was occuring, it now acknowledges it, a pretty big move considering how 'in bed' the US is with oil companies.

I won't claim to be an expert on the issue by any stretch of the imagination. But when most of the experts who have looked at the evidence say something is true, I tend to agree with them, especially when you can see a variety of things that point to climate change occurring (maps of ice caps, average temperature rises, etc). I'm not saying these things definitively prove climate change, but they certainly support the case for it, and are visible artefacts we all can see.

With regard to the GreenPeace gal, yer, you should've tried to get in there ;-)
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:11
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Crap. Now I want some fish and chips.

Mwa ha ha. Feel the pain of aging. Off to morcambe for you sonny. You can have fish and chip supper on a bench by the seafront, as you worry slightly about the group of youths walking your way. And battle your incontinence.
Don't worry, you can talk to Vera on the coach on the journey up. Deaf as a rock, she is.

> Bit of a shame David Bellamy thought some internet info was
> infallable though.

Ah, it happens to us all, eh Tony?
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:06
Regular
Edit - in response to Sibs. And yes, humour me.

A bit of everything. It's a rare moment of freedom in a life of subtle oppression.

The main point was the global warming thing. I have no idea what the truth is.

But I think it's possible to discuss two, even three different things in a single linear topic.

I'm a renegade pensioner.
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:04
Regular
"8==="
Sibs wrote:
>
> Homeless people selling the big issue? Global Warming? Or
> whether you should've tried it on with the GreenPeace girl?

*Psst* Just humor him... he's old. ;)
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:04
Regular
"8==="
Crap. Now I want some fish and chips.

That's rather long and rather odd by the way. Welldone. But I was interested in saving the world when I was 8 and they had that thing with Bill Cosby or some load of stars on the tv and environment books were everywhere and it was all "OMG CFCs!!!111 Fridges!!!111 Aerosols!!!11"

Bit of a shame David Bellamy thought some internet info was infallable though.
Fri 13/04/07 at 16:01
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I'm confused by this thread now... What are we meant to be discussing?

Homeless people selling the big issue? Global Warming? Or whether you should've tried it on with the GreenPeace girl?
Fri 13/04/07 at 15:57
Regular
"8==="
Make sure you get nice a bit of fish for tea.
Fri 13/04/07 at 15:54
Regular
Yeah, and they never made me notable :^(
Fri 13/04/07 at 15:50
Regular
"8==="
Are you an OAP now?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.