GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"USB router"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/06/03 at 10:50
Regular
I need a place where I can buy a USB router.

Thanks for the help.

I checked amazon.co.uk and no luck.
Mon 09/06/03 at 10:50
" Crazy!"
I need a place where I can buy a USB router.

Thanks for the help.

I checked amazon.co.uk and no luck.
Mon 09/06/03 at 13:24
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Just whatever you do don't buy a Netgear one.

Try www.maplin.co.uk... I think they have the Draytek Vigor 2200 which has been verified to work.
Mon 09/06/03 at 13:30
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Col I've just read your other thread and I think you've gotten yourself well confused. You don't need a USB router.

Here's what I have. One PC, connected via a USB modem in the USB port. ONE NIC, which I bought for £15. This has a single ethernet out port on it. One crossover CAT-5 cable, which goes from the NIC card to the PS2's network adapter.

That's it. Then I downloaded Winroute Lite to do the ICS (as I'm on Windows 98 which doesn't have it built in) and I was away.
Mon 09/06/03 at 13:32
" Crazy!"
But I don't have a out port on my ADSL modem.
Mon 09/06/03 at 13:47
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
You don't need one! Read what I posted again... you told us before that you had a USB modem. Same as me. If so then you can connect the same way I describe below.
Mon 09/06/03 at 14:00
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
The craziest Col! wrote:
> But I don't have a out port on my ADSL modem.

Col, I think your getting confused with this "port out" business. An Ethernet NIC is both an in and out port anyway. They are used on major networks not just at home and therefore have to transmit (out) and receive (in) packets of information all the time.

Then follow what Darwock has said and you should be sorted.
Mon 09/06/03 at 16:49
" Crazy!"
Darwock wrote:
> Col I've just read your other thread and I think you've gotten
> yourself well confused. You don't need a USB router.
>
> Here's what I have. One PC, connected via a USB modem in the USB port.
> ONE NIC, which I bought for £15. This has a single ethernet out
> port on it. One crossover CAT-5 cable, which goes from the NIC card to
> the PS2's network adapter.
>
> That's it. Then I downloaded Winroute Lite to do the ICS (as I'm on
> Windows 98 which doesn't have it built in) and I was away.

I take it that you have your PC next to your PS2, but I don't my Pc is downstairs and my PS2 is in my bedroom, which is upstairs. Therefore I am going to have to use 2 x 10m extension cables to be drilled through the roof into my bedroom!

Would you please be able to rephrase yur original message so I would understand.
Mon 09/06/03 at 17:43
" Crazy!"
Cat5 UTP Crossover Cable 15m would I simply use 2 of them instead of the extension cables?
Mon 09/06/03 at 17:44
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
You will still have the cabling problem with a router - the PC and PS2 both have to be plugged into it, so you just have an extra bit of kit in the middle. The distances remain the same.
Mon 09/06/03 at 17:45
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
The craziest Col! wrote:
> Cat5 UTP Crossover Cable 15m would I simply use 2 of them instead of
> the extension cables?

You only need one, but yes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.