GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-box is a Dark horse, but Nintendo are still the best-message to the casual gamer"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/07/00 at 21:10
Regular
I think Sony are worried with the anouncement of the X-box. Even though I hate Bill gates I can't see the X-box failing because:
1. Easy to program using PC architecture that programmers are use to
2. Microsoft
Sony have released a good machine, but they probably thought they could release any old thing and get away with it because of the PS. Its difficult to program for and alot of developers are struggling to get to grips with the microprogramming system. Where as the Dolphin (based on the Mac) has got everyones attention, its easy to progrom for and its got the best games producers making the best games for the system. Am I the only one to notice that because Nintendo haven't released details of their new controler that the PS2 has basically the same one as the PS. What I'm saying is that Sony copy other's ideas but the quality of their products isn't as good as say Nintendo. Final note to you casual gamers. I talked to a shop owner who branded himself a casual gamer. I was on the subject of Perfect dark2 for the dolphin. His opinion was that golden eye, and perfect dark were substandard games and games like syphon filter and MGS were better. When asked if he was still playing MGS a year later his answer was no, and in reply I told him that 3 years down the line I was still playing Golden eye (multiplayer) and how he felt spending £40 to enjoy a game which lasted him a week (being optomistic) and he had nothing to say. Sony's machines will always be for the casual gamer i.e. dull average been there done that games. People who enjoy good games will always know that companies such as Nintendo and Sega are always going to be the first to produce fresh ideas and games you can play for longer than a day. If anyone disagrees then you either don't know what a good game is or you ARE a casual gamer. Replies welcome.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
Sun 16/07/00 at 17:52
Microsoft now find themselves in te same position as Sony were in the build up to the original PS, a company making it's first tentative steps into the games industry, lacking experience, but with potentially an excellent product that had the capacity to produce state of the art games whilst being easy for programmers to master.

We all know how Sony went. Straight to the top. And now Sony's niche in the gaming world is under threat. Sega and Nintendo hold the place of the experienced comapies who have been producing quality titles and machines for years, and each have a place Sony are unable to challenge. The x-box shows all the early signs of forcing Sony out of their position as succesful, well backed newcomers, leaving them in some kind of a middle ground between Microsoft and Sega/Nintendo.

This position could be one they could make work, but it's unlikely. You can expect the big players (Sega and Nintendo) to take a grip on the hardcore gamers, while Microsoft will most probably pick up the casual market, leaving Sony to hope loyal gamers will stand by them.
If this is the case, they'd better hope PS2 doesn't flop like so many predict it will, we all saw what happened with Sega's Saturn, and it seems unlikely that Sony will have the experience and the will to bounce back in the same way as Sega did.
Sun 16/07/00 at 07:43
Sanj wrote:
> I think Sony are worried with the anouncement of the X-box. Even
> though I hate Bill gates I can't see the X-box failing because:
> 1. Easy to program using PC architecture that programmers are use
> to
> 2. Microsoft
> Sony have released a good machine, but they probably thought they
> could release any old thing and get away with it because of the
> PS. Its difficult to program for and alot of developers are
> struggling to get to grips with the microprogramming system.
> Where as the Dolphin (based on the Mac) has got everyones
> attention, its easy to progrom for and its got the best games
> producers making the best games for the system. Am I the only one
> to notice that because Nintendo haven't released details of their
> new controler that the PS2 has basically the same one as the PS.
> What I'm saying is that Sony copy other's ideas but the quality of
> their products isn't as good as say Nintendo. Final note to you
> casual gamers. I talked to a shop owner who branded himself a
> casual gamer. I was on the subject of Perfect dark2 for the
> dolphin. His opinion was that golden eye, and perfect dark were
> substandard games and games like syphon filter and MGS were
> better. When asked if he was still playing MGS a year later his
> answer was no, and in reply I told him that 3 years down the line
> I was still playing Golden eye (multiplayer) and how he felt
> spending £40 to enjoy a game which lasted him a week (being
> optomistic) and he had nothing to say. Sony's machines will
> always be for the casual gamer i.e. dull average been there done
> that games. People who enjoy good games will always know that
> companies such as Nintendo and Sega are always going to be the
> first to produce fresh ideas and games you can play for longer
> than a day. If anyone disagrees then you either don't know what a
> good game is or you ARE a casual gamer. Replies welcome.
> LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
> MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
Sat 15/07/00 at 21:10
I think Sony are worried with the anouncement of the X-box. Even though I hate Bill gates I can't see the X-box failing because:
1. Easy to program using PC architecture that programmers are use to
2. Microsoft
Sony have released a good machine, but they probably thought they could release any old thing and get away with it because of the PS. Its difficult to program for and alot of developers are struggling to get to grips with the microprogramming system. Where as the Dolphin (based on the Mac) has got everyones attention, its easy to progrom for and its got the best games producers making the best games for the system. Am I the only one to notice that because Nintendo haven't released details of their new controler that the PS2 has basically the same one as the PS. What I'm saying is that Sony copy other's ideas but the quality of their products isn't as good as say Nintendo. Final note to you casual gamers. I talked to a shop owner who branded himself a casual gamer. I was on the subject of Perfect dark2 for the dolphin. His opinion was that golden eye, and perfect dark were substandard games and games like syphon filter and MGS were better. When asked if he was still playing MGS a year later his answer was no, and in reply I told him that 3 years down the line I was still playing Golden eye (multiplayer) and how he felt spending £40 to enjoy a game which lasted him a week (being optomistic) and he had nothing to say. Sony's machines will always be for the casual gamer i.e. dull average been there done that games. People who enjoy good games will always know that companies such as Nintendo and Sega are always going to be the first to produce fresh ideas and games you can play for longer than a day. If anyone disagrees then you either don't know what a good game is or you ARE a casual gamer. Replies welcome.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.