GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Console of the future"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/07/00 at 20:27
Regular
I'm not one of those pointless people who comes into a forum and says "This console is the future". I'm here because nintendo had a relative failure with the n64 and now appear to have corrected their mistakes.
The unbalanced specifications: Ok so we haven't had any offical news on the memory size BUT I doubt after the mistake with the n64 (buying really expensive memory and then having to cut down on the amount used) that they'll make that mistake again.
The processor is the Gekko G4 which can perform four (in some cases eight) 32-bit floating-point calculations in a single cycle, what that means to you is that it will be two to four times faster than traditional processors, thats an 800-1600MHz processor comapred the PS2s 300MHz.
Storage medium: The n64 used catridges which were expensive to produce, cutting down and profits and had limited capacity, a maximum of 64MB compared the PSX CD capabilities (upto 700MB). The Dolphins small propreitry DVDs should make copying more difficult (godd for persuading developers to make games for the system), can hold large amounts of video and look amazingly cool.

Also developers didn't exactly flock to the n64 (mainly due to the catridge format) but the dolphin has not just nintendo and rare behind it, but also the 2nd party new comer, silicon knights who will perhaps aim at the more mature gamer, something that rare orginally failed to do along with nintendo and many 3rd party developers.
A few companies who have shown their support are Capcom, Ubi Soft, Factor 5, Saffire, Konami, Electronic Arts, Midway and Lucas Arts.

Still not convinced?
How about the competition its facing this time round
Playstation 2 - The main competitor with a huge fan base BUT a poor Japanese launch with many bugs, graphics sometimes inferior to those on the dreamcast, faulty memory cards and graphics cards. Not to mention the pre-order only system in place until Christmas
Dreamcast - Sega are already losing (sales wise) to the nintendo 64 so they don't stand much chance against the dolphin
X-box - Difficult to comment on this one, it could end up like a PC and therefore be ignored by the general public but there isn't enough info yet.
Wed 26/07/00 at 03:25
Firstly the Dolphin will not be out in March, and the PS2 is being released in 0ctober 2000. If the Dolphin is released in March it will be a year after the PS2 was released in Japan. are you trying to say that the Dreampants is going to end up in the slump?
Tue 25/07/00 at 08:42
Firstly I said a relative failure, ie nintendo has always had the best selling console, this time they had the secound best.
Next where did you get this figure of 2 years from? The PS2 won't be available IN STORES (not pre-order) until January, the Dolphin is due for release in march, thats closer to two months than two years.
Personally I think this is going to be one close battle, remember being the first next-generation console hasn't helped the Dreamcast much.
Mon 24/07/00 at 23:50
Reply to unknownenemy
The N64 was not a failure it was under estimated by the critics and the people of the UK. I agree that the main competitin is the Playstation 2 and your right there was alot of glitches in it but don't forget Nintendo are releasing there console nearly 2 years after the Playstation 2, the same mistake they made with the N64 they started to dreate along time after the other competitions.
Mon 24/07/00 at 20:27
I'm not one of those pointless people who comes into a forum and says "This console is the future". I'm here because nintendo had a relative failure with the n64 and now appear to have corrected their mistakes.
The unbalanced specifications: Ok so we haven't had any offical news on the memory size BUT I doubt after the mistake with the n64 (buying really expensive memory and then having to cut down on the amount used) that they'll make that mistake again.
The processor is the Gekko G4 which can perform four (in some cases eight) 32-bit floating-point calculations in a single cycle, what that means to you is that it will be two to four times faster than traditional processors, thats an 800-1600MHz processor comapred the PS2s 300MHz.
Storage medium: The n64 used catridges which were expensive to produce, cutting down and profits and had limited capacity, a maximum of 64MB compared the PSX CD capabilities (upto 700MB). The Dolphins small propreitry DVDs should make copying more difficult (godd for persuading developers to make games for the system), can hold large amounts of video and look amazingly cool.

Also developers didn't exactly flock to the n64 (mainly due to the catridge format) but the dolphin has not just nintendo and rare behind it, but also the 2nd party new comer, silicon knights who will perhaps aim at the more mature gamer, something that rare orginally failed to do along with nintendo and many 3rd party developers.
A few companies who have shown their support are Capcom, Ubi Soft, Factor 5, Saffire, Konami, Electronic Arts, Midway and Lucas Arts.

Still not convinced?
How about the competition its facing this time round
Playstation 2 - The main competitor with a huge fan base BUT a poor Japanese launch with many bugs, graphics sometimes inferior to those on the dreamcast, faulty memory cards and graphics cards. Not to mention the pre-order only system in place until Christmas
Dreamcast - Sega are already losing (sales wise) to the nintendo 64 so they don't stand much chance against the dolphin
X-box - Difficult to comment on this one, it could end up like a PC and therefore be ignored by the general public but there isn't enough info yet.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.