GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Geometry Wars Evolved 2 (XBLA)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2'.
Wed 12/05/10 at 23:23
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I love the weekly deals on Xbox Live Arcade. Slashing costs of some downloadable games by up to half the original amount has often pushed me into adding some extra points to my account and getting some true gems. So after hearing good things about Geometry Wars Evolved 2 it seemed a no brainer to get this as soon as the offer went live.

Geometry Wars is a very simple game to grasp. Taking control of a small spaceship, you are given the size of the screen to manoeuvre your way around whilst shooting as many enemies as possible and racking up as big a score as possible. A combo system is in place that is just as simple as the gameplay itself with destroyed enemies dropping small green pieces that add to a multiplier gathering you extra points. Using the left analogue to steer and the right one to aim your shots it can take a while to get used to things. However once you do, you’ll love the perfect control you have over everything your spacecraft can do. You’ll come across a wide range of enemies that have their own unique attacks and require a different strategy to take down. You’ll find ones that follow you around, dodge your shots and long snakes that can only be taken down with a bullet to the head.

The game is split into six mode types with each providing short bursts of challenging mayhem. While some are less fun to play than others, what you have here is enough to hold your attention and keep you coming back for a long time.

‘Deadline’ is just a three minute trial where the idea is to get as many points as possible. The longer you go without dying the more plentiful the enemies appear meaning more points to be earned. It’s not exactly mind-blowing, but this mode offers a decent enough distraction. ‘Evolved’ provides you with three lives (while more can be earned) and lets you see how long you can last. It’s simple and a lot of fun and one mode I constantly find myself coming back to.

‘Pacifism’ is by far the most addicting of the game types with shooting being taken off the table altogether. Instead the aim is to pilot your way through small gates in order to explode any nearby enemies. This is all about flying skills and I guarantee you it proves the toughest and most fun of the bunch.

‘Waves’ is in my opinion the weakest of the six games. Here literally lines of enemies appear and fly in from all directions. With just one life this is extremely tough but sadly also frustrating. ‘Sequence’ however is great fun and is all about memorising patterns. Twenty increasingly tough stages with a thirty second time limit each is your mountain to climb and even after five or so the difficulty ramps up ridiculously. As of now I’m yet to break the fifteen mark, but that hasn’t stopped me continually trying.

The final mode is ‘King’ which is perhaps the most unique stipulation of the bunch and provides a real test of your piloting and shooting skills. Here you’re only allowed to shoot when in small circles placed randomly around the screen. When inside one enemies cannot reach you. Sounds simple right? The trouble is whenever you fly into one it will slowly shrink eventually leaving you exposed to attacks. Great fun and especially tough to master.

Perhaps the best thing about Geometry Wars 2 is the fact that every one of the six modes can be played competitively and co-operatively with up to three other people. While playing as a team can be a good laugh, the true multiplayer experience comes when competing for the highest score. Sure things can become a little hectic at times, but the mindless shooting and constant dodging is made all the more fun when trying to best your mates. Whatsmore the added bonus of online play means even if you haven’t got enough controls then four player isn’t out of the question.

Geometry Wars could have looked fairly plain and boring given the type of simple game that it is, but somehow the developers have turned it into one of the most stylish and impressive looking games in the Xbox Live Arcade library. The ripples and bright neon colours may get a little too manic at times, but I have to say it’s quite unlike anything I’ve seen on the Xbox 360 yet. As for the music I find it to be a bit bland. Sure the techno like beats fit well with the futuristic look of the title but they don’t exactly stand out.

Geometry Wars 2 is a fantastic little game that is simple to grasp but ever so hard to put down. The difficulty is likely to drive you insane, but when thrown in with great looking visuals, fun multiplayer modes and extremely addictive gameplay, you won’t mind giving up your sanity to try this beauty out. I was lucky to grab this at the reduced cost, but is it worth the now original price of 800 points? At only around a fiver you can’t complain with what’s here. Give it a go.
Thu 13/05/10 at 16:33
Regular
"How Ironic"
I had a quick play on Geometry Wars. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, but it looked awesome! :P
Thu 13/05/10 at 12:31
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Ha I know what you mean. I'm still playing it now. It's those leaderboards. If I see my mate has topped one of my scores I just have to beat it!
Thu 13/05/10 at 09:42
Regular
"And in last place.."
I'd disagree... don't give it a go. You will end up addicted to it. I put it on for a quick blast before calling it a night and 2 hours later I'm still trying to beat my high scores... just one more game.
Wed 12/05/10 at 23:23
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I love the weekly deals on Xbox Live Arcade. Slashing costs of some downloadable games by up to half the original amount has often pushed me into adding some extra points to my account and getting some true gems. So after hearing good things about Geometry Wars Evolved 2 it seemed a no brainer to get this as soon as the offer went live.

Geometry Wars is a very simple game to grasp. Taking control of a small spaceship, you are given the size of the screen to manoeuvre your way around whilst shooting as many enemies as possible and racking up as big a score as possible. A combo system is in place that is just as simple as the gameplay itself with destroyed enemies dropping small green pieces that add to a multiplier gathering you extra points. Using the left analogue to steer and the right one to aim your shots it can take a while to get used to things. However once you do, you’ll love the perfect control you have over everything your spacecraft can do. You’ll come across a wide range of enemies that have their own unique attacks and require a different strategy to take down. You’ll find ones that follow you around, dodge your shots and long snakes that can only be taken down with a bullet to the head.

The game is split into six mode types with each providing short bursts of challenging mayhem. While some are less fun to play than others, what you have here is enough to hold your attention and keep you coming back for a long time.

‘Deadline’ is just a three minute trial where the idea is to get as many points as possible. The longer you go without dying the more plentiful the enemies appear meaning more points to be earned. It’s not exactly mind-blowing, but this mode offers a decent enough distraction. ‘Evolved’ provides you with three lives (while more can be earned) and lets you see how long you can last. It’s simple and a lot of fun and one mode I constantly find myself coming back to.

‘Pacifism’ is by far the most addicting of the game types with shooting being taken off the table altogether. Instead the aim is to pilot your way through small gates in order to explode any nearby enemies. This is all about flying skills and I guarantee you it proves the toughest and most fun of the bunch.

‘Waves’ is in my opinion the weakest of the six games. Here literally lines of enemies appear and fly in from all directions. With just one life this is extremely tough but sadly also frustrating. ‘Sequence’ however is great fun and is all about memorising patterns. Twenty increasingly tough stages with a thirty second time limit each is your mountain to climb and even after five or so the difficulty ramps up ridiculously. As of now I’m yet to break the fifteen mark, but that hasn’t stopped me continually trying.

The final mode is ‘King’ which is perhaps the most unique stipulation of the bunch and provides a real test of your piloting and shooting skills. Here you’re only allowed to shoot when in small circles placed randomly around the screen. When inside one enemies cannot reach you. Sounds simple right? The trouble is whenever you fly into one it will slowly shrink eventually leaving you exposed to attacks. Great fun and especially tough to master.

Perhaps the best thing about Geometry Wars 2 is the fact that every one of the six modes can be played competitively and co-operatively with up to three other people. While playing as a team can be a good laugh, the true multiplayer experience comes when competing for the highest score. Sure things can become a little hectic at times, but the mindless shooting and constant dodging is made all the more fun when trying to best your mates. Whatsmore the added bonus of online play means even if you haven’t got enough controls then four player isn’t out of the question.

Geometry Wars could have looked fairly plain and boring given the type of simple game that it is, but somehow the developers have turned it into one of the most stylish and impressive looking games in the Xbox Live Arcade library. The ripples and bright neon colours may get a little too manic at times, but I have to say it’s quite unlike anything I’ve seen on the Xbox 360 yet. As for the music I find it to be a bit bland. Sure the techno like beats fit well with the futuristic look of the title but they don’t exactly stand out.

Geometry Wars 2 is a fantastic little game that is simple to grasp but ever so hard to put down. The difficulty is likely to drive you insane, but when thrown in with great looking visuals, fun multiplayer modes and extremely addictive gameplay, you won’t mind giving up your sanity to try this beauty out. I was lucky to grab this at the reduced cost, but is it worth the now original price of 800 points? At only around a fiver you can’t complain with what’s here. Give it a go.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.