GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dolphin can't be the last nintendo console - more on internet capabilities of dolphin"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/08/00 at 22:53
Regular
How can the Dolphin be the last console from Ninty. If everyones been reading american mags you should know that Sony are already talking about a PS3. This system is supposed to be 100 times faster than the PS2 but its all theory and based on how quick technology is progressing at the moment. Nintendo, and indeed Sega and Sony will have to continue to update their hardware because unlike a PC consoles don't have upgradability that a PC has. The PS2 is already out of date with current technology standards and the dolphin on the other hand is streets ahead with its copper technology chip. This is the new breed of chips to come out of intel and IBM. The average life span of a console is 5 years. SO expect to see the new war of the next-gen consoles to begin around 2008. Regarding the internet capabilities of the dolphin. Initially Nintendo wanted the dolphin to be a games only machine, but I think that has changed. They are advertising for experts of internet programming and I think Broadband is the way forward. Besides I think having Four players in one room fighting over a game (ala Mario 64 or Mario Party) is much better than playing against a stranger over the internet. The satisfaction is much greater when you can gloat in victory with your mates being there. Haven't Sony cocked up by having only 2 ports on the PS2. Have that company got an original idea. I think they should stick to their other electronic products and leave the gaming community to the experts, i.e. Ninty and Ninty and Ninty and ofcourse Ninty (can't forget Sega aswell!!). Replies welcome if you don't agree with the above or want anything clarifying. Later.
Tue 01/08/00 at 22:53
How can the Dolphin be the last console from Ninty. If everyones been reading american mags you should know that Sony are already talking about a PS3. This system is supposed to be 100 times faster than the PS2 but its all theory and based on how quick technology is progressing at the moment. Nintendo, and indeed Sega and Sony will have to continue to update their hardware because unlike a PC consoles don't have upgradability that a PC has. The PS2 is already out of date with current technology standards and the dolphin on the other hand is streets ahead with its copper technology chip. This is the new breed of chips to come out of intel and IBM. The average life span of a console is 5 years. SO expect to see the new war of the next-gen consoles to begin around 2008. Regarding the internet capabilities of the dolphin. Initially Nintendo wanted the dolphin to be a games only machine, but I think that has changed. They are advertising for experts of internet programming and I think Broadband is the way forward. Besides I think having Four players in one room fighting over a game (ala Mario 64 or Mario Party) is much better than playing against a stranger over the internet. The satisfaction is much greater when you can gloat in victory with your mates being there. Haven't Sony cocked up by having only 2 ports on the PS2. Have that company got an original idea. I think they should stick to their other electronic products and leave the gaming community to the experts, i.e. Ninty and Ninty and Ninty and ofcourse Ninty (can't forget Sega aswell!!). Replies welcome if you don't agree with the above or want anything clarifying. Later.
Thu 03/08/00 at 20:29
So is the new chip for the dolphin going to make a vast difference between it and the PS2 in terms of how fast it runs and graphics or in any other visiable field.
When you say the PS3 could be 100X faster than PS2 in what way will it be faster.
Fri 04/08/00 at 13:16
The copper technology employed is an evolution over the traditional silicon chips. So yes it will be able to calculate more maths per second than the PS2 (about 33% quicker). The quicker a processer can do maths (because thats essentially what progamming is all about) the more the processer can do per second meaning more effects and yes better graphics. However graphics don't make the game. Re: ps3 these are only rumours, and besides as long as sony are at the helm, then I won't be wasting my money on their games hardware. They are more concerned with quantity than quality. Games make the machine, not the other way.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.