GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playing a game several times"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/03/07 at 15:03
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I would assume (though could be wrong), that most people who play a game for teh first time would simply play it to finish it, paying good attention to everything i nthe story to make sure they didn't miss anything and have to resort to GameFAQs or asking for help on forums. This is how I like to play on my first attempt, because reading a walkthrough can be too revealing and spoil parts of the game which are yet to come, but if I do get stuck, I prefer to ask on a forum than to read a walkthrough, because most people can't be bothered to go into any more detail than what you ask for. That's why, when a topic is started along the lines of "Wots ur fave consul and y?", people still responde with the simple andswer of "N64" and that's all.

Anyway, back on topic. After I get passed a part which I've found really difficult, I breathe a sigh of relief and get a sense of accomplishment as well as anticipation as to what comes next, because I don't know about you, but I tend to find that the best parts of a game tend to be right after really difficult bits. Would you agree?

Then after completing the game for the first time, what do you do afterwards? I tend to play it a second time just for the sake of playig it again, or reliving the good parts. Also, I like to see if I can beat my last time, and I'm also likely to make sure I cover things which I missed the first time. eg. my first reaction in Metroid Prime was to shoot the parasite which was eating at the start of the pirate ship Orpheon, then to just run away from the swarm which chases you out of the ship later, hence my logbook never filled up, because I missed that scan.

That's normally it for my second play of a game, then sometimes after a break from the game, I'll play it again. This time trying to finish the game 100%, collecting and doing everything which counts towards your score, and not worrying about finishing faster than my first attempt.

Then all times after that I tend to simply either play the game for fun, or explore the game for hidden treasures, easter eggs, glitches and such like, learning all the nooks and crannies of all the levels and locations of everything, even if not being the perfect player of the game, liek getting through the whole game on Very Hard without ever losing a bit of health, although these little exploration plays do help towards that, because you still need to use your skill to get through the game and eliminate any roaming enemies which might get in the way of your explorations.

So that's what this topic is about. How many times do you generally play one game? Do you go back to certain games more than others? What are you like when you first play a game? How do you play it for the first time and how does that influence how you play it in the future? What do you do after completing the games for the first time?

Discuss!
Thu 29/03/07 at 23:18
Regular
"8==="
Alfonse wrote:
> TS2 was better than Bioshock.
Thu 29/03/07 at 23:14
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I very rarely play a game all the way through when I get it because something or someone always stops me from playing games. Someone in the house usually buys another game and what I was playing gets put on the back burner.

I always keep my games so I usually end up playing old games again and again. I just get the urge to play them so I play them.
Thu 29/03/07 at 22:58
Regular
Bioshock is gonna totally own Timesplitters, I can't wait to kill one of those fishermen guys with a brick!

On the subject of playing through a game again, I generally intend to but a lot of the time I never get around to it. But over the past few weeks I've started Oblivion again with a new character in preperation for Shivering Isles. It's managed to suck me right back in again, pretty impressive considering I played the game for well over 250 hours first time though. Just goes to show how much of a damn good game Oblivion really is!
Thu 29/03/07 at 22:58
"possibly impossible"
Halo, Settlers...

But I also like games with lots of replay value (such as ones that are different each time you play)
Thu 29/03/07 at 21:57
Regular
TS2 was better.
Thu 29/03/07 at 21:35
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
Timesplitters Future Perfect rocks.
Really, it does.
I'm not lying, the multiplayer and mapmaker are the greatest things in the world.

And yeah, I've played through MGS 5 times, and the other two 3 times.
Final fantasy's, all that I own at least twice, except X-2.
I just couldn't finish it, it was so bad.
Thu 29/03/07 at 19:39
Regular
I try and buy games with lots of replay value ie Good multiplayer,
bonuses for completing within a certain time.
Thu 29/03/07 at 17:43
Regular
"lets go back"
Most of the time I don't even finish a game once before I move on to a new one. Sometimes its nice to come back to an old game a few years down the line. It gives you long enough to forget some things so its still enjoyable to play but because you have played it before you are quite good at it.

I've played things like Tony Hawks 3 and Metal gear Solid to death. Repeatedly playing them over and over in order to unlock hidden bonuses. I think I like them because once you have completed them once and you know what you are doing you can complete the whole ting in a few hours. You dont need to watch story cut-scenes and you dont get lost looking for things but it is still challenging and fun to play.
Thu 29/03/07 at 17:04
Regular
"8==="
Depends on the game.

If there's multiple story arcs or different ways to complete missions/scenarios then it's fun to replay the game a different way.

Also multiple endings basedupon your actions through the game give a game some replay value too.

This sort of stuff can be found in The Suffering, Deus Ex etc etc.

Then there's unlocking multiplayer stuff or going for some of the achievements found on 360 titles.

The sort of replay value I don't find fun is the 'find the hidden items' stuff, although this can be done well in the case of games like Crackdown but titles such as Far Cry (360) don't make it any fun, infact searching for the hidden items actually shows you all the flaws and limitations of the game.
Thu 29/03/07 at 15:03
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I would assume (though could be wrong), that most people who play a game for teh first time would simply play it to finish it, paying good attention to everything i nthe story to make sure they didn't miss anything and have to resort to GameFAQs or asking for help on forums. This is how I like to play on my first attempt, because reading a walkthrough can be too revealing and spoil parts of the game which are yet to come, but if I do get stuck, I prefer to ask on a forum than to read a walkthrough, because most people can't be bothered to go into any more detail than what you ask for. That's why, when a topic is started along the lines of "Wots ur fave consul and y?", people still responde with the simple andswer of "N64" and that's all.

Anyway, back on topic. After I get passed a part which I've found really difficult, I breathe a sigh of relief and get a sense of accomplishment as well as anticipation as to what comes next, because I don't know about you, but I tend to find that the best parts of a game tend to be right after really difficult bits. Would you agree?

Then after completing the game for the first time, what do you do afterwards? I tend to play it a second time just for the sake of playig it again, or reliving the good parts. Also, I like to see if I can beat my last time, and I'm also likely to make sure I cover things which I missed the first time. eg. my first reaction in Metroid Prime was to shoot the parasite which was eating at the start of the pirate ship Orpheon, then to just run away from the swarm which chases you out of the ship later, hence my logbook never filled up, because I missed that scan.

That's normally it for my second play of a game, then sometimes after a break from the game, I'll play it again. This time trying to finish the game 100%, collecting and doing everything which counts towards your score, and not worrying about finishing faster than my first attempt.

Then all times after that I tend to simply either play the game for fun, or explore the game for hidden treasures, easter eggs, glitches and such like, learning all the nooks and crannies of all the levels and locations of everything, even if not being the perfect player of the game, liek getting through the whole game on Very Hard without ever losing a bit of health, although these little exploration plays do help towards that, because you still need to use your skill to get through the game and eliminate any roaming enemies which might get in the way of your explorations.

So that's what this topic is about. How many times do you generally play one game? Do you go back to certain games more than others? What are you like when you first play a game? How do you play it for the first time and how does that influence how you play it in the future? What do you do after completing the games for the first time?

Discuss!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.