GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Plymouth"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/03/07 at 21:43
Regular
Clearly my geography of the south is abysmal.

Obviously I should have just stayed in the grim, desolate, chavvy, racist north where at least I know where *some* places are.

I volunteered to do a work careers fair trip. But only if nobody else wanted it, since I'd done the last one.

Usually everyone competes for the day off work, so I was very surprised when I got to do it.

At this stage I should have been suspicious.

Suspicious that my blind-man's geography would inevitably have confused Plymouth - the closest you can get to Penzance without being considered a big camp pirate (in a bad way, this time) and about 5 hours and 250 miles away - with Portsmouth - somewhere a comfortable afternoon drive from my house.

I should also have been suspicious that it wouldn't be in the day, when I could skive off from the office, at all. Obviously it would be in the evening, so I'd essentially be working unpaid overtime to take on my horrible challenge.

And to make it worse, we give out business cards at these things, and often end up getting stalked by students who want us to micromanage every step of their job application for them.

Not forgetting that I'm studying hard every evening for my professional qualification (except right now), and have exams next monday where my class is graded in rank order, for ritual office humiliation. And I'm beind on my work.

So I'll be doing 5 hours in work, 5 hours driving, 3 hours more work recruiting stalkers, and 5 hours driving home again. Which leaves me 6 of the 24 to get out of my clothes and sleep. Except that I'll have used some of those up in the morning before I leave the house. And probably to eat something between lunch and midnight.

The point of this thread was originally going to be that I was looking at Plymouth/Portsmouth/Wherever the hell I'm going, and that place has some incredible attractions. Within half an hour (or so) of the most distant outpost of civilisation:

The Monkey Sanctuary
The Smuggling (& Fishing - but you don't have to go to that bit) Museum
City Centre Skiing
Sorley Tunnel Adventure Worlds
Five Map Icons With Pictures of Stone-Henge-A-Likes On
The Sea
The Owl Sanctuary (For when people get tired of the monkey sanctuary, and for cheap second-rate birthday parties)
'Paul Corin's Magnificent Music Machines' (Which is probably crap)
HMS Scylla National Marine Aquarium Reef

Clearly this far-flung corner of the earth is also the most awesome place on earth.

Obviously I'll only get to see the inside of a dodgy cafe, meeting stalkers.

It also has an airport. I wonder...
Wed 21/03/07 at 08:35
"possibly impossible"
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> Nope. Can't fly.
>
> It would have been awesome, and would have been under an hour
> and a half each way, but there isn't a late enough flight back.
>
> Monkey Sanctuary City (the opposite of Hartlepool) refuses to
> yield to my travel plans.

Fly to Exeter and bus down from there? Probably easier to get the coach/Train though.
Wed 21/03/07 at 08:34
"possibly impossible"
Ah. Plymouth. One of the Drugs and homeless capitals of the South West.

It's just 30 minutes or less drive from my place too. The South West has some great places in general, Crealy adventure park, Sidmouth Donkey Sanctury, Paignton Zoo, Cricket Saint Thomas (once home to Mr Blobby), The National Marine Aquarium (smaller than you expect it to be)...

Plymouth City Centre has just gone through a refurbishment campaign, though parts of the city still look like a dump and it seems to have the largest number of muggings, murders and drug busts for the whole of Devon. It's ok if you're just visiting, mind you, though I don't go there unless I have to, Exeter is much nicer.
Tue 20/03/07 at 21:56
Regular
Nope. Can't fly.

It would have been awesome, and would have been under an hour and a half each way, but there isn't a late enough flight back.

Monkey Sanctuary City (the opposite of Hartlepool) refuses to yield to my travel plans.
Tue 20/03/07 at 21:43
Regular
Clearly my geography of the south is abysmal.

Obviously I should have just stayed in the grim, desolate, chavvy, racist north where at least I know where *some* places are.

I volunteered to do a work careers fair trip. But only if nobody else wanted it, since I'd done the last one.

Usually everyone competes for the day off work, so I was very surprised when I got to do it.

At this stage I should have been suspicious.

Suspicious that my blind-man's geography would inevitably have confused Plymouth - the closest you can get to Penzance without being considered a big camp pirate (in a bad way, this time) and about 5 hours and 250 miles away - with Portsmouth - somewhere a comfortable afternoon drive from my house.

I should also have been suspicious that it wouldn't be in the day, when I could skive off from the office, at all. Obviously it would be in the evening, so I'd essentially be working unpaid overtime to take on my horrible challenge.

And to make it worse, we give out business cards at these things, and often end up getting stalked by students who want us to micromanage every step of their job application for them.

Not forgetting that I'm studying hard every evening for my professional qualification (except right now), and have exams next monday where my class is graded in rank order, for ritual office humiliation. And I'm beind on my work.

So I'll be doing 5 hours in work, 5 hours driving, 3 hours more work recruiting stalkers, and 5 hours driving home again. Which leaves me 6 of the 24 to get out of my clothes and sleep. Except that I'll have used some of those up in the morning before I leave the house. And probably to eat something between lunch and midnight.

The point of this thread was originally going to be that I was looking at Plymouth/Portsmouth/Wherever the hell I'm going, and that place has some incredible attractions. Within half an hour (or so) of the most distant outpost of civilisation:

The Monkey Sanctuary
The Smuggling (& Fishing - but you don't have to go to that bit) Museum
City Centre Skiing
Sorley Tunnel Adventure Worlds
Five Map Icons With Pictures of Stone-Henge-A-Likes On
The Sea
The Owl Sanctuary (For when people get tired of the monkey sanctuary, and for cheap second-rate birthday parties)
'Paul Corin's Magnificent Music Machines' (Which is probably crap)
HMS Scylla National Marine Aquarium Reef

Clearly this far-flung corner of the earth is also the most awesome place on earth.

Obviously I'll only get to see the inside of a dodgy cafe, meeting stalkers.

It also has an airport. I wonder...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.