GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The quickest INTERNET isp provider"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/07/03 at 18:15
Regular
What is the quickest isp, i want to play online and i cant affrod broadband would a 56 k suffice? On my old computer, getting new one soon :, my speed was 40k....not good and that was with Freeserve...any help much appreciated
Thu 31/07/03 at 18:15
Regular
"" I like your Gun""
What is the quickest isp, i want to play online and i cant affrod broadband would a 56 k suffice? On my old computer, getting new one soon :, my speed was 40k....not good and that was with Freeserve...any help much appreciated
Thu 31/07/03 at 18:43
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
40k's not bad for a 56k, I used to get about 44,000bps, that (usually) gave stable pings on HL and Tribes2. Most other games were unplayable for me, but those two seem to have pretty good net engines.

That was with NTL. They were pretty good for most of the time, but they have quite possibly some of the worst customer service I've ever seen.

The best advice I could give would be to make sure you've got a decent modem, external ones that plug into a com port are generally better quality. Avoid USB ones at all costs, and avoid AOL likewise.
Thu 31/07/03 at 19:17
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Why not try Freeola - SR's internet service, they even give you the chance to try them out before signing up.
Thu 31/07/03 at 21:16
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> avoid AOL likewise.

Nonsense, AOL is perfectly fine.

I get a regular and stable 49,333bps
Fri 01/08/03 at 01:23
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
they all have good and bad days, anything over 44,000 isn't bad, go for consistency rather than a one off high speed.
Fri 01/08/03 at 10:18
Regular
I wouldn't recommend AOL. It crashed my m8s computer.
Fri 01/08/03 at 11:35
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I've seen people on AOL dialup with pings frequently spiking to 600. They may be alright for browsing but I've heard lots of horror stories regarding latency.
Fri 01/08/03 at 13:07
Regular
In other words AOL is a no-no.
Sat 02/08/03 at 13:34
Regular
"I see you"
You may as well get broadband cos at the moment you can get BT Broadband for £27 a month or you can even get some broadband as cheap as £24 a month you just got to shop around.
Sat 02/08/03 at 14:58
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
NTL do 128k cable quite cheaply I believe, it'll be over twice as fast as a 56k, and an always on connection for only a little more than an unlimited dialup account. Provided they do it in your area. http://www.ntlworld.com for more info on them.

Course there's always ISDN, but i think you'd be best off with cable.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.