GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Eels - Souljacker... wow!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/09/01 at 23:44
Regular
Out of nowhere comes a new Eels album and my god, is is a corker or what?

So maybe you've never heard of the Eels. Well here's a brief resumé for the uninitiated among you... The Eels burst on to the grunge scene in 1996 with the phenonemenal 'Beautiful Freak'. As debuts go they really don't come much better than this one. It begins with the classic 'Novocaine for the Soul', now a staple on Trigger Happy TV. The songs combined grungy guitars with heartfelt vocals and haunting lyrics. It immediately became apparent that Mark Oliver Everett was a little depressed. Sample Lyric: "life is hard and so am I / you better give me something so I don’t die"

What did the man known simply as 'E' have to be depressed about. Well, it was pretty much the same as the rest of us, lack of a love life, insecurities, low self esteem. E was depressed and he wrote enchanting, often touching songs about it. Then disaster struck.

In the same year both E's mother and sister died. His mother of cancer and his sister committed suicide. Unsurprisingly E did not take the events too well and when the Eels released their next album, 'Electro-shock Blues' the tone was sombre to say the least. Despite the carnage of E's personal life, the album that emerged was hailed as a modern day classic, with it's bluesy pianos and textured production. The songs also hit new levels of depression, but this time with very valid reasons. With its death-laden artwork, tombstones,etc, 'Electro-shock Blues' took the idea of depression and set new precedents.

Perhaps this is why the next album 'Daisies of the Galaxy' shocked us all. For some bizarre reason E had discovered something resembling happiness. The album's most effervescent track, 'Mr. E's Beautiful Blues' displays this best, sample lyric: "Goddamn right it's a beautiful day, uh huh". 'Daisies...' set a new landmark in the Eels' sonic adventures. Music critics hailed it as their best release to date and the album even had moderate chart success. E started to receive music media attention and the Eels consolidated a new-found, loyal fan base.

So, what changed that man of the mono-syllabic name? Well, I learnt a few days ago that he went to a Buddhist retreat, complete with trappist monk stylings; he wasn't allowed to speak. This seems to have done the guy the world of good as it was just E and his troubled mind alone together. I imagine he thrashed it out with his psyche and got down to recording an incredible album. He claims that he also had the idea for Souljacker during this period...

Yes, Souljacker is the new Eels album and, having had it for roughly 6 hours now I already think it's their best release. The album returns to the heavier sounds that the band begun with but there's still room for some of the layed-back numbers we found on 'Daisies...'. In true Eels fashion the band even sample themselves on one track, the sublime 'Fresh Feeling'. The concept for Souljacker is loose in the way that Hear'say releasing album called '12 good tracks' would be loose. Only two tracks refer explicitly to the Souljacker in question. Apparently it is based on an American serial killer who thought that when he killed his victims he claimed their souls. Yes, it's a weird consept but there we go. The concept only really features on two tracks, the stunningly originally named 'Souljacker part I' and 'Souljacker part II'. The rest of the album is far more interesting. E has moved on from the more confessional tone of Electro-shock Blues, to the extent that he wrote the lyrics for one song after hearing a story from one of his sound-engineers. Allegedly the sound guy's dad had used to take him to the bus stop to beat up other kids and prove his worth or something. So the track, 'Bus Stop Boxer' was born, to the surprise of the poor sound guy I imagine...

Souljacker is a fantastic album and I recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in rock music. Once you get it there can be no looking back and you will own the whole back catalogue before you know it.

The Eels always were an essential band. Souljacker not only confirms this, it take a cattle-brand and burns the fact firmly into your brain.
Tue 25/09/01 at 16:58
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
If you're unsure about Souljacker then download 'Fresh Feeling', the band may sample themselves, but it has future single written all over it, in 10ft high letters no less.
Tue 25/09/01 at 12:42
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Dunno, you can pay for 3 day international business delivery, I know that.

I shall check at lunchtime
Tue 25/09/01 at 12:03
Regular
How much extra do you have to pay on top of the $13.99 for delivery etc?
Tue 25/09/01 at 12:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Damn.

"Fashion Nugget" by Cake deleted Feb this year.
But you can get it from Amazon for $13.99

Hurrah!
And Souljacker is available now.
Tue 25/09/01 at 10:37
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
You speak words of wisdom and truth sir.
Tue 25/09/01 at 10:34
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
alt.rock - a stylee of music and a newsgroup all in one.
Tue 25/09/01 at 10:17
Regular
"He's going for speed..."

Indeed.

I may wait 'til I'm Leicester this weekend. A BIG HMV, so hopefully I cand find them both there.
Tue 25/09/01 at 10:15
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
"Cos he's going the distance..."

What a top, top song. We rehearse to that, to get warmed up.

If you like Eels you'll like Cake and vice versa, just never really checked Eels out.
However, I shall be trying to locate them both, although "Fashion Nugget" by Cake is on import from Amazon.uk at £16.99 and takes a couple of weeks.

I'm off to find Cake from an American site, cheaper and faster.

Souljacker Part 1 and Cake.
American lo-fi alt.rock rules.

And Clutch
Tue 25/09/01 at 10:00
Regular
I've got "The Distance" as a single, but never looed into getting the album.

If it's worth it though, I may have to purchase that today as well.

Looks like my bank account will take a hammering at lunch time....
Tue 25/09/01 at 09:58
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Cake "Fashion Nugget".
Top album, The Distance is an amazing song and "Rock and Roll Lifestyle" is pure irony rock.

"Well your CD collection looks shiny and costly
How much did you pay for your badmotorguzi?
And how much did you pay for your rock and roll t-shirt?
That proved you were there, that you heard of them first?
And how much did you pay for that black leather jacket?
Is it or your parents in that income-tax bracket?"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.