GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 Officially fully backward compatible with PS1 & 2 games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/09/03 at 17:05
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Confirmed by Sony yesterday, everyone probably took it as read anyway,

September 02, 2003 - Why do we love our PlayStation 2's? Sure, it has lots of cool games and plays DVD movies, but why do really love it? Because it can play original PlayStation games too, of course. A seemingly minor feature, the fact that the PS2 can play PS one games is without a doubt one of the reasons for the PS2's success; so why fix something that definitely isn't broken?
In a talk with Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun, Ken Kutaragi, head honcho at Sony Computer Entertainment, officially confirmed that the successor to the PlayStation 2 will in fact be backward compatible with not only PS2 games, but also PS one games.

"PS one runs on PlayStation 2 through emulation rather than actual hardware. PlayStation 3 will offer the same compatibility for PS2 software and the format will continue forever," Kutarai explained.

The inclusion of backward compatibility is not all that surprising, but we're glad it's finally official. Now we don't have to worry about having ten consoles and the corresponding wire mess in our living rooms.
Wed 03/09/03 at 17:05
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Confirmed by Sony yesterday, everyone probably took it as read anyway,

September 02, 2003 - Why do we love our PlayStation 2's? Sure, it has lots of cool games and plays DVD movies, but why do really love it? Because it can play original PlayStation games too, of course. A seemingly minor feature, the fact that the PS2 can play PS one games is without a doubt one of the reasons for the PS2's success; so why fix something that definitely isn't broken?
In a talk with Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun, Ken Kutaragi, head honcho at Sony Computer Entertainment, officially confirmed that the successor to the PlayStation 2 will in fact be backward compatible with not only PS2 games, but also PS one games.

"PS one runs on PlayStation 2 through emulation rather than actual hardware. PlayStation 3 will offer the same compatibility for PS2 software and the format will continue forever," Kutarai explained.

The inclusion of backward compatibility is not all that surprising, but we're glad it's finally official. Now we don't have to worry about having ten consoles and the corresponding wire mess in our living rooms.
Wed 03/09/03 at 17:10
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Yeah, I read the SR news article. It seems a bit odd though, seeing as until yesterday every source was reporting that the PS3 would be backwards compatible with PS2 only and Sony would only be supporting two generations.
Wed 03/09/03 at 17:12
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Do people actually play on PSx games anymore?
Wed 03/09/03 at 17:15
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Final Fantasy. That's the only reason for backwards compatibility.
Wed 03/09/03 at 17:18
Regular
They should make the PS1 forwards compatible.

*Nods*
Wed 03/09/03 at 17:18
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Didn't realise SR covered it sorry, don't bother reading their news coverage. I still play the old game of Gran Turismo 1 or 2 but apart from that it is only really FF that keeps the PS1 alive - mind you I think are still quite a few PS1 releases in Japan each month
Wed 03/09/03 at 17:19
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
old should read odd
Wed 03/09/03 at 17:47
Regular
Thats funnt because whilst reading August's issue of Official PS2 magazine they said it would be compatible with PS2 games but NOT PSONE games?! Then again 99% of what is printed in that magazine is bull sheet.
Wed 03/09/03 at 22:45
"For the horde!!!!"
Jive wrote:
> Do people actually play on PSx games anymore?

i sometimes play bomberman from time to time
Thu 04/09/03 at 02:52
Regular
" A ka Mr america"
hi am a new guy who just arrived to the forum aiiright am from New jersey not from uk so i really think it's a cool place well i think u say dat do people play psx games any more of course i do play them the ps3 is not out or is it and if out how is it better than the psx,ps2 HOBBIT

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.