GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just downloaded demo of XIII..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Xiii'.
Wed 10/09/03 at 19:06
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
...and was thoroughly disappointed.

Two levels to try out in the demo (or at least part of each)...one of a beach and the other of a military complex, both of which were completely unispiring (particularly the military base one).

As for the actual game, the only thing remotely innovative about it are the visuals...with mildly entertaining comic book-style multiple-view death sequences and the odd visual aid (such as the word 'tap' moving along a wall, as a guard approaces you - it's difficult to explain).

The rest of it was your run-of-the-mill FPS - enemy AI is nothing to write home about, the weapons aren't particularly interesting or satisfying (without trying to sound too mentally unstable) and I can't really find any major ideas in the game that haven't been done before.

Yes, disappointment is definately the word. Ah well, I can only thank the bods at Valve for giving us Half-Life 2 (eventually).
Thu 11/09/03 at 12:56
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I liked the demo, far more entertaining than some mediorce FPS demo's I've played recently. The second level was quite fun, absailing down the air vent and shooting guards while you hang from the ceiling, and I'm not usually a big fan of stealth games.

I loved the visual style as well, I usually don't like cel-shaded games but here it was more than just a gimmick since it really does stay faithful to the comics it's based on. Certainly a game I'm interested in.
Thu 11/09/03 at 12:55
"Darkness, always"
Fools. The only thing that's ever really been worth shouting about in the game is the cel shaded graphic style.

You can't expect every game to make leaps and bounds in every area.

Jesus.
Thu 11/09/03 at 08:15
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Although the critisisms of AI and uninspired levels and action are true, I felt the cell shaded graphics raisd it above the usual run of the mill FPS. But then again, I love french games for their unique style.
Wed 10/09/03 at 20:22
"For the horde!!!!"
The cell shaded type graphics put me off it, if it's as bad as you say it will struggle against games like Half Life 2 and Doom 3.
Wed 10/09/03 at 19:41
Regular
Ah yes, I also downloaded this quite a while ago and was dissapointed too. I couldn't really understand the controls, tbh. How did you use your knife? Yep, enemy AI was weird, I mean I couldn't attack them and yet they still couldn't kill me.
Wed 10/09/03 at 19:06
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
...and was thoroughly disappointed.

Two levels to try out in the demo (or at least part of each)...one of a beach and the other of a military complex, both of which were completely unispiring (particularly the military base one).

As for the actual game, the only thing remotely innovative about it are the visuals...with mildly entertaining comic book-style multiple-view death sequences and the odd visual aid (such as the word 'tap' moving along a wall, as a guard approaces you - it's difficult to explain).

The rest of it was your run-of-the-mill FPS - enemy AI is nothing to write home about, the weapons aren't particularly interesting or satisfying (without trying to sound too mentally unstable) and I can't really find any major ideas in the game that haven't been done before.

Yes, disappointment is definately the word. Ah well, I can only thank the bods at Valve for giving us Half-Life 2 (eventually).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.