GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What Next?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/09/01 at 19:37
Regular
The PS2 has now been available in Britain for almost a year now. Red Faction and Onimusha have both been and gone, and so has Gran Turismo 3. So what is there that we should be excited about next? There is Metal Gear Solid 2 that every PS2 owner is eagerly waitng for. Is that it? There are also tonees of other games. And what about, dare I say it, Playstation 3?

So what is there to be excited about next? As I have already said, the game that everybody was waiting for, for so long, Gran Turismo 3, has been and gone. All the delays have paid off, and the result was an absolutely stunning title. But, it has been avaiable for a couple of months now, so what is there to be excited about now?

Well, there is, of course, other games. I have already mentioned Metal Gear Solid 2, which has to be the most eagerly awaited game at the moment. There are other games as well, like Stuntman by the makers of the Driver series. Let's not forget Final Fantasy 10 and 11, which no doubt has a lot of people excited and eagerly awaiting their release. There is The Getaway, which looks really good, as do triple AAA titles like Jak and Daxter and Devil May Cry (and if the demo is anything to go by of DMC, then the game should be brilliant).

Something that also caught my attention in a magazine, was talk of a tool called the Performance Analyser, which allows developers to see how much capacity the game squeezes out of the PS2. What interested me more was the fact the GT3 didn't even touch the sides, which could only mean one thing, bigger and better games for the future.

What about budget games? Is this something to get excited about? All depends on the games really. It doesn't really bother me too much, but no doubt there are people out there who like the idea of paying prices like £14.99, which is apparently how much they will cost. The Platinum range on the PSOne certainly did well, with games such as the original Rayman flying off the shelves. Something too look forward to I suppose. Let's just hope that at least some of the games are good, because budget games tend to be crap games don't they. Not all of them, but most of them. Just have to wait and see.
Budget games do have a big advantage. They bring new games into the fold. After all, £15 is far more attractive than £40 isn't it.

There is the online prospect. I won't go into too much detail, as it has been covered extensively on these forums. At the moment, because no one has really made internet gaming work properly, I won't get excited until I have actually experienced it myself. The prospect of playing games online, downloading new levels and things like that, and add to that the new Hard Drive which will become available, it does look very interesting.

OK, then. What about PS3? Hmmm, dodgy subject. I mean, will this be a big and exciting event. It has been said that the machine could launch as early as 2004. Well, I did say it was a dodgy subject. This is just predictions, which just make un-nessecary hype too early. There are rumours that work is already underway on the new console, but I will wait until conformation until I beleive this.
And silly rumours like the PS3 will be 1000 times more powerful than the PS2, well, I'll have too see it to beleive it.

Am I forgetting anything. Oh yes, the other two 128-bit consoles. Well, their launches will definately be big. But, this is the next big thing for people who are awaiting their launches. Both consoles look like having some great games, and will certainly give PS2 the competition that it has been waiting for.

So then, what is the next big thing? Well, it's different for everybody, but for me, it's the games. Rumours of new consoles don't interest me at all. In the end, it's the games that interest me, and that includes Gamecube and Xbox games as well as the PS2 games.

What is the next best thing for everybody else?
Tue 18/09/01 at 19:37
The PS2 has now been available in Britain for almost a year now. Red Faction and Onimusha have both been and gone, and so has Gran Turismo 3. So what is there that we should be excited about next? There is Metal Gear Solid 2 that every PS2 owner is eagerly waitng for. Is that it? There are also tonees of other games. And what about, dare I say it, Playstation 3?

So what is there to be excited about next? As I have already said, the game that everybody was waiting for, for so long, Gran Turismo 3, has been and gone. All the delays have paid off, and the result was an absolutely stunning title. But, it has been avaiable for a couple of months now, so what is there to be excited about now?

Well, there is, of course, other games. I have already mentioned Metal Gear Solid 2, which has to be the most eagerly awaited game at the moment. There are other games as well, like Stuntman by the makers of the Driver series. Let's not forget Final Fantasy 10 and 11, which no doubt has a lot of people excited and eagerly awaiting their release. There is The Getaway, which looks really good, as do triple AAA titles like Jak and Daxter and Devil May Cry (and if the demo is anything to go by of DMC, then the game should be brilliant).

Something that also caught my attention in a magazine, was talk of a tool called the Performance Analyser, which allows developers to see how much capacity the game squeezes out of the PS2. What interested me more was the fact the GT3 didn't even touch the sides, which could only mean one thing, bigger and better games for the future.

What about budget games? Is this something to get excited about? All depends on the games really. It doesn't really bother me too much, but no doubt there are people out there who like the idea of paying prices like £14.99, which is apparently how much they will cost. The Platinum range on the PSOne certainly did well, with games such as the original Rayman flying off the shelves. Something too look forward to I suppose. Let's just hope that at least some of the games are good, because budget games tend to be crap games don't they. Not all of them, but most of them. Just have to wait and see.
Budget games do have a big advantage. They bring new games into the fold. After all, £15 is far more attractive than £40 isn't it.

There is the online prospect. I won't go into too much detail, as it has been covered extensively on these forums. At the moment, because no one has really made internet gaming work properly, I won't get excited until I have actually experienced it myself. The prospect of playing games online, downloading new levels and things like that, and add to that the new Hard Drive which will become available, it does look very interesting.

OK, then. What about PS3? Hmmm, dodgy subject. I mean, will this be a big and exciting event. It has been said that the machine could launch as early as 2004. Well, I did say it was a dodgy subject. This is just predictions, which just make un-nessecary hype too early. There are rumours that work is already underway on the new console, but I will wait until conformation until I beleive this.
And silly rumours like the PS3 will be 1000 times more powerful than the PS2, well, I'll have too see it to beleive it.

Am I forgetting anything. Oh yes, the other two 128-bit consoles. Well, their launches will definately be big. But, this is the next big thing for people who are awaiting their launches. Both consoles look like having some great games, and will certainly give PS2 the competition that it has been waiting for.

So then, what is the next big thing? Well, it's different for everybody, but for me, it's the games. Rumours of new consoles don't interest me at all. In the end, it's the games that interest me, and that includes Gamecube and Xbox games as well as the PS2 games.

What is the next best thing for everybody else?
Tue 18/09/01 at 21:06
Regular
"Back For Good"
Super Gohan wrote:
What is the next best thing for everybody
> else?

The great PS2 games on the way, of course :)
Tue 18/09/01 at 21:16
The PS2 games that are on the way look very impressive.

I have played the demo of Devil May cry and it's brilliant.
I have also played Soul Reaver 2 and that is also very good.

Of the games that I haven't played, Burnout is the one that is interesting me at the moment. The crashes look spectacular.
Tue 18/09/01 at 21:27
Regular
"Back For Good"
Good post by the way :)
Tue 18/09/01 at 21:28
Res€vilfan wrote:
> Good post by the way :)

Cheers. And it seems that you are the only one who thinks so (apart from Rasta).
Wed 19/09/01 at 15:52
There are some other great games heading our way on the PS2.

Airblade looks good, as does Tony Hawks 3.
Splashdown is also looking impressive.

Any more games that people are looking forward to in particular?
Wed 19/09/01 at 15:56
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
SSX Tricky , Burnout , Stuntman , Final Fantasy 10 , GTA 3. LOADS!! Not forgetting TONY HAWK!
Wed 19/09/01 at 15:58
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
Oh , good post too!
Wed 19/09/01 at 15:59
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Super Gohan wrote:

I have also played Soul Reaver 2 and that is also very good.

OK. Excuse me for being a dumb*donkey* but I havent played Soul Reaver before.

On that demo that was on OPSM, how do you get out of that first room? I managed to change into something and kill those bods, then change back, but couldnt get out.

(excuse my idiocy!) :D
Wed 19/09/01 at 15:59
rob_skater wrote:
> Oh , good post too!

I am glad to see that somebody is on this forum.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.