GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Donkey Konga is confirmed !!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Donkey Konga'.
Fri 26/09/03 at 15:55
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Some people may know the following but the majority probably wont, hence my post to inform the uninformed :p

To be released on the Gamecube in Japan around Springtime 2004 - Donkey Konga is a game with a complete difference, if you can remember Samba De Amigo on the Dreamcast (the game which you played with a pair of maracas) then you're seeing whereabouts Donkey Konga is coming from.

Donkey Konga will ship with a set of small Konga drums and the basic object of the game will be to repeat drum beats etc... sounds dull? well you may be forgiven for thinking 'yea actually it sounds like total pants' but its gonna be a total smash when it hits the UK late next year (around november 2004 i heard but dont hold me to this).

Fans of this genre really should be foaming at the mouth reading this, whilst non-fans prepare to be converted and become toally addicted.

The game is ofcourse based around Donkey Kong and published by Nintendo.

Nintendo are still releasing for the GC late into next year so dont fret, the future of the six sided sensation is secure for a while yet despite what some 'think they know better' people may wish to tell you.

Rabid.
Sun 28/09/03 at 00:51
Regular
Yeah I agree there...

DK country was the reason I decided to choose the N64 over Playstation and ultimatly become the die hard Ninty I am today.
Sun 28/09/03 at 00:47
Regular
It would be amazing if they reverted to that.

Its Nintendo after all so if anyone could pull it off it would be them. I just hope they announce it soon as its one game I will certainyl hold my breath for.
Sun 28/09/03 at 00:43
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Maybe not. Heres to hoping they go back to the simple approach.

Well Nintendo are rather famed for going for the simple approach. Nintendo believe that there should be set tasks but to add more depth they create the enviroment to mess around in.

Rare prefer to make side mission after side mission and increasing moves and doubling back to use those moves etc... worked for Kazooie because it wasn't overdone... in DK64 and Tooie it was VERY overdone.

But Strafex is right with that DK Gamecube should be a linear game in the form of Crash Bandicoot... 3D but running along, riding on rhino's, collection nanna's and throwing barrals.

Will be a good laugh.
Sun 28/09/03 at 00:38
Regular
Maybe not. Heres to hoping they go back to the simple approach.
Sun 28/09/03 at 00:35
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I wasn't a fan of DK64 and I think the general opinion was that it was
> trying to live up to the original but was failing at every attempt.
> Whether they choose to finance another one is debatable, I would like
> to see them have another go though.

Well no. The problem with DK64 is that it based itself on the Banjo-Kazzoie engine as a fully interactive 3D world but got even more complicated.

It was not right for a DK game... yes... but it still sold a bucket load, brought the expansion pak to the masses and got decent reviews.

So I doubt that'll stop another DK platformer.
Sun 28/09/03 at 00:31
Regular
I wasn't a fan of DK64 and I think the general opinion was that it was trying to live up to the original but was failing at every attempt. Whether they choose to finance another one is debatable, I would like to see them have another go though.
Sun 28/09/03 at 00:26
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I would love to see another one but I can't see it happening with the
> way things have gone with RARE and the character exclusivity.

??? Why not?
Sun 28/09/03 at 00:19
Regular
I would love to see another one but I can't see it happening with the way things have gone with RARE and the character exclusivity.
Sat 27/09/03 at 23:58
Regular
Donkey Kong is a big franchise...

Mario appears in many many games a year most of the time not platformers...

Donkey Konga is developed by NAMCO and Nintendo... two companies apart of the Tri-force team.

Donkey Konga could be the next in the line of Tri-force arcade games such as F Zero GX as well as appearing on the Cube, of course.

So therefore it is highly likely that DK is still in development as a platformer although it isn't neccessary to widen the appeal.

Also I remember a statement at the sale of RARE that DK will be handeled internally and that a DK game is already in development with EAD...

Namco are not EAD.
Sat 27/09/03 at 23:38
Regular
Dead or Alive Volleyball attracted the Japanese and sold very well. It was enjoyable but hardly a flag ship title. Another Donkey Kong platform game on the other hand could proove just that for the GameCube. The original is undenyably one of the greatest games of all time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.