GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tiberium Twilight"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight'.
Wed 07/04/10 at 18:16
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
Has anyone bought this game yet? I had a look though a few reviews and am still on the fence. Apparently it's nothing like all the old CnC games because instead of having all the base building, economy and no unit cap, you now have one building that can move around and builds all of your units. Whats more you have a cap on the number of units that you can build depending on your xp.

It sounds like this could have alot more action then the other CnC games although it doesn't sound nearly as tactical. I think that this has upset alot of people that were expecting a proper CnC game which is probably the cause of all the bad reviews. Saying that though, they are always going to be bias if they were expecting a completely different game.

If anyone has bought this game already, can you let me know from a non-CnC enthusiast's point of view if this game is worth buying?
Fri 07/05/10 at 12:59
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
But when you can get the game for £12.99 with free delivery who can complain :)

http://alturl.com/2k9i

I had to shorten because of forums limits although it's on the HMV website if you don't like these short things.

Ordered this a couple of days ago.. Not expecting much though, good couple of days of good RTS action on a fresh new game will keep me happy.
Fri 07/05/10 at 11:15
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
With StarCraft 2 out in 2 months why bother with the GDI. Just build up suspense.
Fri 07/05/10 at 09:21
Regular
I've just finished the NOD campaign (on easy mode) - is it just me or did the campaign feel really short? Cutscene story telling wasn't as good as the older games either...

Ah well, on to GDI...
Fri 23/04/10 at 15:24
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
I find that in general with AI on RTS' though, they are never nearly as satifying to play against as humans because they just do the same thing over and over. Like in normal CnC games, they just send a stream of 1-10 unit groups at your defences that just pop. While their troops are popping, your are building up in your base, then you just steamroller over everything with your army.

Saying that though, it is hard to beat Brutal AI with a rush until you have learnt to counter the stategy that they always use for their first wave and defences.

Would be good to see what the multiplayer is like on this though, I'm hoping it's gonna be genius and make up for the single player game but im guessing by the game ratings that this isn't going to happen.
Mon 19/04/10 at 21:49
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
So I bought this in the end. I think whether its a worthwhile purchase depends on the desire for multiplayer. It looks like a game thats been entirely designed for skirmish with other players. Limited units, mobile base on the front line with you. It kind of works.

When it comes to single player though, its falls to pieces in my opinion. Naturally because theres no hope of replicating human behaviour the solution is give the enemy twice as many units. Its not a fun game mechanic to play against the AI like that. You end up in boring wars of attrition.

I wonder if they werent planning some sort of C & C online stand alone game and decided on the single player aspect much later.
As many reviews have noted, theres a lot of unit types, but you dont get to use them in the campaign. Seems ridiculous to me.
Thu 08/04/10 at 19:48
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
The thing that I really didn't like in CnC3 and RA3 is then increase in micro-management with all the "special abilities" in RA3 and the tedious kitting up of all of your avatars in CnC3. Although CnC3 did reduce this a bit with grouping your mutants up for you.

Now it looks like they've gone futher down the same route and made the game almost entirely micro-management based and killed the vast variety of strategies available by making you chose either tanks (offense) air (support) or infanty and base defenses (defense) at the start or on respawn. To me this all means that you probably only have a small number a unit types available at one time limiting your strategy completely to the crawler you choose.

Think your right about the price drop though, it's already dropped on Play to under £19. Think I'll leave it until it reaches £15 then give it a shot :) . To be fair to EA though, at least they're trying something new.
Thu 08/04/10 at 18:51
Regular
"eat toast!"
I've seen the gametrailer review and i'm not entirely sure tbh, theres been one change to the base building and it doesn't become c&c anymore. Best to wait. My money is on that it'll drop in price.

Now will ubisoft please give me asscreed2 with all the dlc please?
Thu 08/04/10 at 14:09
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
From what I have heard and read it seems like tehy have made it an Action-RTS.........

We all love RTS' because we get to manage economy and base build no?
Thu 08/04/10 at 13:57
Regular
I bought it but haven't gotten round to installing it yet...

I'm a big fan of the C&C series, but am worried that the lack of base-building is going to be a move in the wrong direction...especially when this is supposed to be the climax of the Tiberium story...

I was hoping for the best features of all the previous games to be available...
Thu 08/04/10 at 13:39
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I'm intending to buy it, does that help? :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.