GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"(Review) Final Fantasy 13"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Final Fantasy XIII'.
Wed 07/04/10 at 17:58
Regular
OK, Ive done a couple of reviews before on other websites, emails to friends etc, but this is kinda a biggy for me so lemme know what you think :)
For me,
Final Fantasy 13 to me is a game that doesn't grab gamers in the world from an advert. I think that final fantasy is a type of game that has to be shown by a friend or t.v review. I mean for me being a big FF(Final fantasy) fan i have loved allot of the games that have been released in this series but i was never grabbed by square enix i was shown through friends.
But now more about the game itself. My favorite final fantasy game, in my opinion, was 12. Do i think 13 was better than 12? No. Now that's not saying 13 isn't a good game at all no no no. Its just, throughout me spending my 60 hours of battling monsters and following the floating balls to find my way through the game, if that wasn't already easy enough.(Everyone who has the game already will understand what i mean.
That now brings me on to my next point, linearity. For all of you who don't know what that means, its basically how free the game is compared to your character. e.g ff13 is very linear as its basically like running down a very detailed corridor battling monster upon monster. An example of a not so linear game would be assassin's creed where you can explore. To be honest that is the main key for me for a final fantasy to be that game you always talk about, exploration.
However, that enough of negatives, i did have and optimistic view of this game when i began playing it and even after finishing it i still do. Of course there are a few negatives but doesn't every game have that? For me i absolutely loved the storyline apart from the cheesy Japanese anime, at parts, i loved it to bits. Each character had their own story and each character you followed in the journey meaning emotions were thrown here, there and everywhere. I would rate this storyline 5* for just how compelling and gripping it was making you feel you were fighting along side these heroes.
Another section of the game i would like to comment on would be the battle, level and upgrade system. When hearing about the battle system had changed from 12 i was very dissapointed but after nailing monster after monster straining my thumbs and fingers i began to warm to the system and shortly after now unsure if i like it more than 12's battle system. The level and upgrade system i am also a big fan of, i thought it was allot better than the boards like in 12. With the upgrade system i enjoyed trying to find the correct materials to upgrade my weapon or accessory to that star level and further.
My final point i want to make on the game is about the graphics, i can only describe in one word. wow. They are stunning with amazing colour variation and work great with the 42 inch Sony bravia sitting in my living room, thanks Sony. Not only is the CGI amazing but the in game graphics on characters and environments. put aside the square fingers on lightning that you can see some time bu the reflection on ice or heat from flames and the impact of explosions just blow your mind away. A little bit more than one word but whoa its worth it.
All in all i think its a great installment to the FF and i cant wait for further additions to this series. If you are a FF fan i would say to buy this game to add to a collection of others, and even if you are not i think you should give it a go and enter a world of many surprises. 9/10 Thank you.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 07/04/10 at 17:58
Regular
OK, Ive done a couple of reviews before on other websites, emails to friends etc, but this is kinda a biggy for me so lemme know what you think :)
For me,
Final Fantasy 13 to me is a game that doesn't grab gamers in the world from an advert. I think that final fantasy is a type of game that has to be shown by a friend or t.v review. I mean for me being a big FF(Final fantasy) fan i have loved allot of the games that have been released in this series but i was never grabbed by square enix i was shown through friends.
But now more about the game itself. My favorite final fantasy game, in my opinion, was 12. Do i think 13 was better than 12? No. Now that's not saying 13 isn't a good game at all no no no. Its just, throughout me spending my 60 hours of battling monsters and following the floating balls to find my way through the game, if that wasn't already easy enough.(Everyone who has the game already will understand what i mean.
That now brings me on to my next point, linearity. For all of you who don't know what that means, its basically how free the game is compared to your character. e.g ff13 is very linear as its basically like running down a very detailed corridor battling monster upon monster. An example of a not so linear game would be assassin's creed where you can explore. To be honest that is the main key for me for a final fantasy to be that game you always talk about, exploration.
However, that enough of negatives, i did have and optimistic view of this game when i began playing it and even after finishing it i still do. Of course there are a few negatives but doesn't every game have that? For me i absolutely loved the storyline apart from the cheesy Japanese anime, at parts, i loved it to bits. Each character had their own story and each character you followed in the journey meaning emotions were thrown here, there and everywhere. I would rate this storyline 5* for just how compelling and gripping it was making you feel you were fighting along side these heroes.
Another section of the game i would like to comment on would be the battle, level and upgrade system. When hearing about the battle system had changed from 12 i was very dissapointed but after nailing monster after monster straining my thumbs and fingers i began to warm to the system and shortly after now unsure if i like it more than 12's battle system. The level and upgrade system i am also a big fan of, i thought it was allot better than the boards like in 12. With the upgrade system i enjoyed trying to find the correct materials to upgrade my weapon or accessory to that star level and further.
My final point i want to make on the game is about the graphics, i can only describe in one word. wow. They are stunning with amazing colour variation and work great with the 42 inch Sony bravia sitting in my living room, thanks Sony. Not only is the CGI amazing but the in game graphics on characters and environments. put aside the square fingers on lightning that you can see some time bu the reflection on ice or heat from flames and the impact of explosions just blow your mind away. A little bit more than one word but whoa its worth it.
All in all i think its a great installment to the FF and i cant wait for further additions to this series. If you are a FF fan i would say to buy this game to add to a collection of others, and even if you are not i think you should give it a go and enter a world of many surprises. 9/10 Thank you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.