GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo Demo Out"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo'.
Sat 18/10/03 at 15:11
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Just seen that MS released a Halo Multiplayer and single player demo which might be useful for anyone who thinks their system could have difficulties with the game. You get the Silent Cartographer level which is pretty decent.

Seeing as I'm an avid fan of the Xbox version and it's one of the few FPS games I've been really into I decided to try it.

My system is;
P4 HT 2.8GHZ
1024 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 128MB
Soundblaster Live 5.1 Digital

Set it to (what I believed was a conservative setting) just 1024/768 with max settings, no vsync....and boy did it chug along.

Sure, it's slightly nicer to look at but the smoothness just isn't there. The controls don't seem suited to the keyboard/mouse combination.

Also I notice that the water on the level is just like the Xbox version, nothing effects it and it has no effect on the game or player (I actually drove the Warthog into the ocean until it disappeared and left if for a few minutes). On Xbox this was done because of graphics limitations and time (or lack thereof) but I'd expected it to be sorted out by now.

Performance may be increased by the usual patches/update every driver I have e.t.c. but I won't be buying the retail version after playing the demo - rather have slightly worse graphics but smooth play and easy controls than a nicer looking jerky game.

I'd recommend Gigex (http://www.gigex.com/pc/?source=00001) to get it from as it can survive disconnects (for those on dial up) and seems fast for broadband.
Sat 18/10/03 at 15:11
Regular
Just seen that MS released a Halo Multiplayer and single player demo which might be useful for anyone who thinks their system could have difficulties with the game. You get the Silent Cartographer level which is pretty decent.

Seeing as I'm an avid fan of the Xbox version and it's one of the few FPS games I've been really into I decided to try it.

My system is;
P4 HT 2.8GHZ
1024 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 128MB
Soundblaster Live 5.1 Digital

Set it to (what I believed was a conservative setting) just 1024/768 with max settings, no vsync....and boy did it chug along.

Sure, it's slightly nicer to look at but the smoothness just isn't there. The controls don't seem suited to the keyboard/mouse combination.

Also I notice that the water on the level is just like the Xbox version, nothing effects it and it has no effect on the game or player (I actually drove the Warthog into the ocean until it disappeared and left if for a few minutes). On Xbox this was done because of graphics limitations and time (or lack thereof) but I'd expected it to be sorted out by now.

Performance may be increased by the usual patches/update every driver I have e.t.c. but I won't be buying the retail version after playing the demo - rather have slightly worse graphics but smooth play and easy controls than a nicer looking jerky game.

I'd recommend Gigex (http://www.gigex.com/pc/?source=00001) to get it from as it can survive disconnects (for those on dial up) and seems fast for broadband.
Sat 18/10/03 at 15:18
Regular
I drove the warthog with 2 comrades into the sea - If you keep on driving for about 4 mins you'll eventully just hit an 'invisible barrier'.
Sat 18/10/03 at 15:28
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
After reading all these threads about Halo, I don't think I'll be getting it.
Sounds like a rushed port accross formats.
Sat 18/10/03 at 15:30
Heh heh, no hope with a GeForce3 then.
Sat 18/10/03 at 15:31
Regular
PC users expect too much, thats all. i've ordered halo PC for GAD, and im downloading the demo right now...

im stupid...
Sat 18/10/03 at 15:33
Regular
i also heard from one of my older mates that they LOCKED halo to 30 f/ps.

i should imagine this'll be patched soon enough.
Sat 18/10/03 at 15:57
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> I drove the warthog with 2 comrades into the sea - If you keep on
> driving for about 4 mins you'll eventully just hit an 'invisible
> barrier'.

I stopped when I became submerged :)
Sat 18/10/03 at 15:59
Regular
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> i also heard from one of my older mates that they LOCKED halo to 30
> f/ps.
>
> i should imagine this'll be patched soon enough.

No they haven't, I saw this on the demo.

You select 30FPS or No Vsync . With 30FPS there is no graphics tearing (WOW considering it runs at 60FPS on the Xbox) but it runs higher with Vsync turned off, though that can supposedly result in graphics tearing effects depending on your system. I ran without Vsync and received no tearing at all.
Sat 18/10/03 at 16:03
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> After reading all these threads about Halo, I don't think I'll be
> getting it.
> Sounds like a rushed port accross formats.
Your not missing much anyway. Technically I only found it glitches every now and again, and it wasn't enough to spoil the game for me, but after trying to play again after completing it the first time (It's actually quite a short game) I just couldn't get back into it.

It's very fun in places (Driving the Warthog, the out door environments) and abysmal in others (Repetitive game-play, awful interior levels) but all in all, nothing too special from the current crop of FPS.

I'd recommend TRON 2.0 though, Great graphics, amazing level design and despite some of those awful bike sections, a challenging and entertaining game throughout.
Sat 18/10/03 at 16:41
Regular
More looking forward to doom 3, half life 2 and possibly deus ex..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.