GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"no online games please!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/09/01 at 20:17
Regular
Boy no want online games for ps2 especially not FFXI it is 1 player only, not millions. Go away silly modem thingy to stick in back of console, i no want u.

Blahh!
Sun 09/09/01 at 20:49
Regular
From what I can work out, this topic is about online gaming....

Well here's what I think about it:

Online gaming has it's pro's and con's, but in my opinion, it has more con's....

One bad thing is that it costs more money! First of all you need a modem, then you need to connect to the internet (via your console modem) which probably connects you to a server full of people who have played online before. Then you go into a room where you hope to join a game, but get kicked out because the other 'players' don't want to play against someone without a special ranking....

Also it costs a lot of money for the phone bill. If you play for around 30 minutes online, and your telephone company charges you 5p a minute, you're paying £1.50. If you play for 2 hours that's £6, play for 2 hours every day (bearing in mind that some people play online games on their PC's much longer everyday) then you're gonna ring up a huge phone bill!

Also, what's the point in playing a game with thousands of people? Surely 3 or 4 people at any one time is enough! Otherwise you're gonna need to be playing massive games with huge levels to have any fun!

Ok, you get around the split screen problem as you're able to play on the whole screen, but surely it would be cheaper and more sociable to play against friends on the same screen! What happens if Seganet decide to close their servers? All those gamers who rely on it are stuck and have wasted their money on the extra modems for nothing! Whereas those who have paid a little extra (or a lot in Nintendo's case) for more controllers and maybe a slightly bigger TV, can still play their games with their friends. It even says that it's best to play games on a small a screen as possible especially if you suffer from epileptic fits, well split-screen is better for you than full screen then isn't it?

You may also be able to play against a lot more people at once, but what's the point? I'd rather play against my friends and win against them, then win against someone I don't know at all. Playing against someone I'm never ever gonna see is just like playing against a computer controlled character/team.

Well thats a summarisation of my opinion on online games :)
Sun 09/09/01 at 20:36
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Boy no want online games for ps2 especially not FFXI it is 1 player
> only, not millions. Go away silly modem thingy to stick in back of
> console, i no want u.

Blahh!

Hmmm... does anyone understand gibberish...

but really, if you don't like a type of game, no one is forcing you to play them! U can still play FF9 and FF10
Sun 09/09/01 at 20:32
Are you stupid...?

So, when you've been sent to your bedroom for stealing cookies out if the jar and your friend has been sent home because of it, who are you gonna play against... sure you'll need to smash a few pillows in to get rid of the 'ohmygodihatemyparents' juvennile angish that burns so intensly within you, but after that you'll still need want to play videogames with someone.

On-line gaming isn't just about FFX, as you'll have no doubt noticed the plethora of on-line games to date has visibly lifed over a thousand and that's just PC Gaming. With all the top 4 consoles (GC, XBOX, PS2 and DC) Having internet access and a similar setup of developers there is a good chance that we might see some multi-platform on-line games come to pass.

There is already a rumoured link between the two versions of PSO for DC and GameCube and if that's not enough, there is also, as you mentioned, the talk of bringing multi-platform FFX to the 'Big 3'!

We do want on-line gaming... sure it's no substitute for being able to scream and boast in front of yer mates faces, (screaming and the screen only makes you realise how ugly you can be if you scream at people!), but where gameplay and competition is concerned it pulls out all the stops... and you'll no doubt have noticed that you can have a lot more players through on-line play than you can round a Gamecube or X-Box! 6 Million Opponents Anyone?! - Yes please!

Sure there are flaws with on-line gameplay such as loss of social life and a very steep learning curve thanks to the relentless gits who have mastered the Quake 3 and Counter Strike maps, but the pro's are great, and the cheating will seriously decrease on consoles as less bug and crack thingys will be available!

And that's just the start of it...
Sun 09/09/01 at 20:20
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Kind of hard to read that, but actually a lot of us PS2 owners want the modem and online games. It appears you are one of a few.
Sun 09/09/01 at 20:17
"period drama"
Boy no want online games for ps2 especially not FFXI it is 1 player only, not millions. Go away silly modem thingy to stick in back of console, i no want u.

Blahh!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.