GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Summer Loving"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/09/01 at 16:41
Regular
I was getting ready to go out yesterday and looked out the window to check the weather. It was 7pm and, to my surprise, dark. Then it hit me Summer is officially over. This was confirmed with the crisp smell of the damp Autumn leaf on the streets.

So I started thinking, how was the Summer? For me it was ok, but for the film industry, they must be beating their souls. Apart from a couple of top grade movies the silver screens were projected with big budgets flops reminiscent of '97. Throughout March, April and May 'filmaday' was filled with discussion topics more or less to the words of 'are you looking for to Tombraider, Rush Hour2, Swordfish, etc, etc).

Tomb Raider is one of the worst films ever, made. The fans of the game was probably disappointed. I left after 20 minutes. Just as Jolie was talking to some guy in the worst dialogue I've ever heard. What a pathetic excuse to spend £70 million. You could have bought one and a half Zidanes.

Then there was Pearl Harbour which costs about £200,000 a second to make, that's two Zidanes, a Figo and a Nistelrooy. Plus the pointless production of Jurassic Park. And Final Fantasy, please. I'm a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series but how I was fuming at the awfully cheesy and over cliche film in recent years.Their has been some decent films out, Rush Hour was funny, Swordfish was mindlessly fun. Shrek was Ok.

The point is every the film had great potential of becoming classic Hollywood films. Then what does this mean. How is this reflecting the bright and glittering lights of Hollywood. Well, simple, the million spend on graphic does not work anymore. Films sucha as Terminator, Star War, Matrix was revolutionary because they were new, fresh and original, now the audiences are use to the flashy stuff and want something more. So we all pray that Matrix 2 lives up to their promise of brand spanking new special effects.

So apart from the comfort of Planet of the Apes, Moulin Rouge and a few independant films, this Summer's movies sucked more than Hugh Jackman's pecker.
Sun 09/09/01 at 16:41
I was getting ready to go out yesterday and looked out the window to check the weather. It was 7pm and, to my surprise, dark. Then it hit me Summer is officially over. This was confirmed with the crisp smell of the damp Autumn leaf on the streets.

So I started thinking, how was the Summer? For me it was ok, but for the film industry, they must be beating their souls. Apart from a couple of top grade movies the silver screens were projected with big budgets flops reminiscent of '97. Throughout March, April and May 'filmaday' was filled with discussion topics more or less to the words of 'are you looking for to Tombraider, Rush Hour2, Swordfish, etc, etc).

Tomb Raider is one of the worst films ever, made. The fans of the game was probably disappointed. I left after 20 minutes. Just as Jolie was talking to some guy in the worst dialogue I've ever heard. What a pathetic excuse to spend £70 million. You could have bought one and a half Zidanes.

Then there was Pearl Harbour which costs about £200,000 a second to make, that's two Zidanes, a Figo and a Nistelrooy. Plus the pointless production of Jurassic Park. And Final Fantasy, please. I'm a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series but how I was fuming at the awfully cheesy and over cliche film in recent years.Their has been some decent films out, Rush Hour was funny, Swordfish was mindlessly fun. Shrek was Ok.

The point is every the film had great potential of becoming classic Hollywood films. Then what does this mean. How is this reflecting the bright and glittering lights of Hollywood. Well, simple, the million spend on graphic does not work anymore. Films sucha as Terminator, Star War, Matrix was revolutionary because they were new, fresh and original, now the audiences are use to the flashy stuff and want something more. So we all pray that Matrix 2 lives up to their promise of brand spanking new special effects.

So apart from the comfort of Planet of the Apes, Moulin Rouge and a few independant films, this Summer's movies sucked more than Hugh Jackman's pecker.
Sun 09/09/01 at 16:45
Regular
I didn't think Jurassic Park 3 was too bad. Definitely better than The Lost World, and possibly beter than the original. Shrek was pretty good, and Swordfish was abysmal. Rush Hour 2 - best film of the summer.
Sun 09/09/01 at 17:54
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Agree with you totally there mate about 1 or 2 movies being good and the rest bombing harder than the Enola Gay.

And I for one say good.
Maybe, just maybe that will make the suits sit and think for a second.
Doesn't matter how much money you throw at something, it's gonna go belly up if the thing is rotten.
Doesn't matter how good the advertising is, doesn't matter how much you pay CNN, ABC and Jay Leno to hype it up.
Just takes the opening weekend for word to spread like fire in the bush.
And it did, and it made my summer.

I don't detest summer movies, I thought X-Men was top, Charlie's Angels was a great, fun, stupid movie.
"But you can't polish a t**d" is the saying.
And those big, loud insulting films died.

Good, we don't need to watch another souless popcorn Mcfilm.
There was a programme last night about The Shawshank Redemption, and how it has become the favourite film of many, many people.
That is a film with no explosions, no "let's save the world" and no huge budget.
Ok, so that died at the box-office, but it's gained a new life on video.
Why?
Because it doesn't insult the audience. We can only take so much before we sit back, pat our stomachs and say "I'm full, no more".
Happened with Oasis, happened with Jurassic Park, Tomb Raider..you can only take the mickey for so long.

So, roll on next year and Xmas.
Lord of The Rings is going to rock, and that's got to be a good film, please lord let that be a good film.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.