GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola FTP tips..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/06/06 at 18:32
"Are you sure?"
If you like(or need) to update your Freeola hosted websites frequently, or have many sites to manage here's a tip for you.

If you are already a Freeola customer you will know that Freeola's MyFreeola (Control Centre) provides FTP links to your sites but this means logging in and then a few more clicks to get to where you want to...

For the sites I manage, I create an Internet Explorer Favourites folder called FTP (can be whatever you like) then within this folder I add entries that take me directly to my websites with a single click.

The shortcut needs to be in this format:
ftp://sr0xxxxxx:[email protected]/
Where xxxxxx is your Freeola account and password is your actual password.

A good way to start is to add any old site to your favourites then right-hand click it and select properties. From there you can rename it to something meaninful(GENERAL tab) and amend the address to FTP... as above (WEB DOCUMENT tab).

Obviously as this will give you direct access to a website without any password requirements, you should only use it if your PC is secure and not shared!

If you are FTPing non-standard files you will need to use a separate FTP client - but I'll save that for another Freeola website tip ;¬)

If you have a better system, please let everyone know by posting a reply...
Mon 17/07/06 at 15:36
"Are you sure?"
Digitrader wrote:
> Its BETA 3 that I am using so that explains why its not working.
> Does it work with Firefox or Opera.
>
> Kev

Works fine with Firefox - just add a "bookmark".

For me using FTP like this gives me instant access to numerous accounts. For normal file maintenance it is all I need.

For any advanced FTP requirements (i.e. commands that Windows FTP doesn't cater for) I still use a standalone FTP client.
I used to use SmartFTP which is fine, but commercial (i.e. you have to buy it!) or is 'nagware' for casual use.

Recently I've switched to Filezilla which is Open Source and therefore free.
Mon 17/07/06 at 13:41
Regular
Its BETA 3 that I am using so that explains why its not working. Does it work with Firefox or Opera.

Kev
Mon 17/07/06 at 11:52
Regular
"incognito"
The IE7 beta's do not support FTP yet (haven't checked beta 3 though) but the full IE7 will when it is finally released.

If you're happy with your current set-up it's not worth changing but this tip is useful for those that only ever upload with Internet Explorer.
Sun 16/07/06 at 22:03
Regular
So ok I tried this FTP in IE7 and get the page showing with the two folders (CGI and HTMLDOCS) and can open the folders and see the files, but it wont let me change files? IE7 says its not allowed?? presently I use Frontpage or dreamweaver to change my files then upload using CUTE. What benifit would there be to changing that system to this system, and is it worth persevereing with.

Kev
Sun 16/07/06 at 15:05
Regular
I'm on a Mac and I often use CyberDuck for ftp-ing, it's got a really easy to understand user interface, and will remember previously used addresses.

CyberDuck
Wed 28/06/06 at 18:32
"Are you sure?"
If you like(or need) to update your Freeola hosted websites frequently, or have many sites to manage here's a tip for you.

If you are already a Freeola customer you will know that Freeola's MyFreeola (Control Centre) provides FTP links to your sites but this means logging in and then a few more clicks to get to where you want to...

For the sites I manage, I create an Internet Explorer Favourites folder called FTP (can be whatever you like) then within this folder I add entries that take me directly to my websites with a single click.

The shortcut needs to be in this format:
ftp://sr0xxxxxx:[email protected]/
Where xxxxxx is your Freeola account and password is your actual password.

A good way to start is to add any old site to your favourites then right-hand click it and select properties. From there you can rename it to something meaninful(GENERAL tab) and amend the address to FTP... as above (WEB DOCUMENT tab).

Obviously as this will give you direct access to a website without any password requirements, you should only use it if your PC is secure and not shared!

If you are FTPing non-standard files you will need to use a separate FTP client - but I'll save that for another Freeola website tip ;¬)

If you have a better system, please let everyone know by posting a reply...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.