GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[ALBUM] Infinity on High - Fall Out Boy"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/02/07 at 00:24
Regular
"Mooching around"
The new album from the now widely appreciated Fall Out Boy (FOB), contains 14 tracks which I believe are intended to reach out to nearly all branches of music lovers.

The album contains the largely successful track "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race" and many of the other songs on the album are scheduled for a video release.

Now, let's go over the tracks:

Thriller
Length: 3:29

The first track on the album, it starts off slow with Jay-Z in the background mentioning that the how the critics were wrong, and how this album is dedicated to anybody who has been told they can't make it.

It's a nice opener, and makes you feel slightly better about yourself, and as the song gets into swing, you're left with that feel good emotion. It's a fresh song from the boys, and a nice shift in pace as well.

This song is defiantly a focus on singing rather than the instrumental, it's a mellow and relaxing song and done very well too.

The Take Over, The Break's Over
Length: 3:33

This song is a much faster track than "Thriller", but still a more relaxing one compared to what is more common with FOB. This is the kind of song you listen to in the background whilst you're working on something.

The song itself has a more "hip-hop" tone to it in that of the vocals, but musically it's defiantly still of a Rock genre. It's a strange mix, but it works very well.

One of my favourite songs of the album.

This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race
Length: 3:32

This, coupled with "Dance, Dance" of the previous album "From Under The Cork Tree" is what many consider lost FOB much of their previous 'emo' fan-base.

It's from these songs that people that hadn't heard of Fall Out Boy began to like them, and this in turn caused many to believe that FOB had succumbed to the money factor and pushed themselves into the mainstream of music.

However as this song goes, in my opinion it's a good one. The timing of the guitar and the vocals are well placed, the pitch, length and strength of the music and notes are both done very well; it leaves you wanting to listen again and again.

If you liked this track, then you'll probably like this album is my advice.

I'm Like A Lawyer With The Way I'm Always Trying To Get You Off (Me & You)
Length: 3:31

As the length of the title suggests, this is a return to old for FOB, this is a much more 'emo' song, but it has a pop-like twist. From the first opening seconds, I was tempted to skip the song, but I didn't, and I'm glad too. The chorus is brilliant, and makes you appreciate the song as a whole.

It's a slower song than the others, but the singing is clear, and guitars and drums in the back work well together as a way to almost raise the song from where it's 'emo' origins lie.

Another brilliant song, and probably my most played of this month.

Hum Hallelujar
Length: 3:50

It's a happy song, and is supposedly about how bass guitarist Pete Wentz tried to commit suicide, and this would help to explain it's thankful tone. It's a OK song, but probably the worst of the album.

Golden
Length: 2:32

Yet another slow song from Fall Out Boy, and it reminds me a song I once heard somewhere else. Probably also the most depressing song on the album, it seems to be about life itself, though I'm never one to look too deeply into lyrics. Just a listen to a few of the lines in the song, and you get the idea though.

Another one of my favourites from the album.

Thnks Fr Th Mmrs
Length: 3:23

No, it's not a typo, that's how the song is actually spelt. Now this song is a return to energy, leaving the slower songs behind and really going for it. Doing what FOB do best. The title is supposed to read "Thanks for the memories", so my guess is that the memories wern't good enough and that's why it's written without many of the letters required.

A faster song that some would argue has more passion involved, it's not a favourite of mine, but it's still very good.

Don't You Know Who I Think I Am
Length: 2:52

The vocals are similar to that of "Sugar We're Goin' Down" in that his voice changes pitch rapidly to give an out of control feeling. I'm not a fan of this song, it seems too forced, made just to be there.

A track that wouldn't be missed.

The (After) Life Of The Party
Length: 3:21

A middle ranged song, that good voicing in places, and bad guitar solos in others. I'm not sure what to make of this song, on one hand technically I should think it rather bad for what it offers, but for some reason I can't help but let it play out over and over again.

An odd song, but I think like it.

The Carpal Tunnel Of Love

Released in America, this is terms of the instruments the best song on the album. However, in my opinion, it's let down by a whiny vocalist lol. I'm not sure if he's crying or screaming softly. Quite awful.

I suppose if you really listen to it over again, it starts becoming slightly better. But that's not what you want to do with a song, you want to learn to like something.

Average.

Bang The Doldrums

A song you can actually Rock to. I like this one, it's probably a more aquired taste, but it's got the guitar parts I think are essential to a Rock song, and vocals are strong and more direct to the song.

A definite for me, but I could easily see others being put off very easily, listen if you will, but don't judge the album from it.

Fame < Infamy
Length: 3:06

Now this is a good song. The guitar rifts are brilliant, and placed perfectly, the vocals are nice, and not too dreary which is a problem FOB place themselves into.

No, this a true return to colour, and is like a calmer version of "The Pros and Cons of Breathing", at the middle it slows briefly to allow for some more solos, and then picks right back up where it started.

More to add to good side!

You're Crashing, But You're No Wave
Length: 3:42

The vocals start slow, but pick up quickly to match the music. An appealing chorus, which you may not remember in a hurry, but certainly one you'll want to listen to again.

In total well above average, but it could have been better.

I've Got All This Ringing In My Ears But None On My Fingers
Length: 4:06

The last, and longest track on the album, it's different from the rest. It starts with a piano instead of a guitar, the vocals here a clear and straight. It sounds almost like it was influenced by the song "Bliss" by "Muse".

A nice song, but not a great one to leave it on, had they switched this with "Golden" it would have been far more effective.

So in summary, a fantastic album overall. The good songs more than compensate for the not so good, this album really is a must buy for music lovers. Even if you've been put off by Fall Out Boy in the past, give this a go, you'll be surprised if you give it a chance.

Favourite Song: Golden
Least Liked Song: Don't You Know Who I am?

[B]Overall: 8/10[/B]
Tue 27/02/07 at 18:14
Regular
"Mooching around"
*sighs* It was really late...
Tue 27/02/07 at 16:32
Regular
Infinity on High.
Tue 27/02/07 at 00:24
Regular
"Mooching around"
The new album from the now widely appreciated Fall Out Boy (FOB), contains 14 tracks which I believe are intended to reach out to nearly all branches of music lovers.

The album contains the largely successful track "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race" and many of the other songs on the album are scheduled for a video release.

Now, let's go over the tracks:

Thriller
Length: 3:29

The first track on the album, it starts off slow with Jay-Z in the background mentioning that the how the critics were wrong, and how this album is dedicated to anybody who has been told they can't make it.

It's a nice opener, and makes you feel slightly better about yourself, and as the song gets into swing, you're left with that feel good emotion. It's a fresh song from the boys, and a nice shift in pace as well.

This song is defiantly a focus on singing rather than the instrumental, it's a mellow and relaxing song and done very well too.

The Take Over, The Break's Over
Length: 3:33

This song is a much faster track than "Thriller", but still a more relaxing one compared to what is more common with FOB. This is the kind of song you listen to in the background whilst you're working on something.

The song itself has a more "hip-hop" tone to it in that of the vocals, but musically it's defiantly still of a Rock genre. It's a strange mix, but it works very well.

One of my favourite songs of the album.

This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race
Length: 3:32

This, coupled with "Dance, Dance" of the previous album "From Under The Cork Tree" is what many consider lost FOB much of their previous 'emo' fan-base.

It's from these songs that people that hadn't heard of Fall Out Boy began to like them, and this in turn caused many to believe that FOB had succumbed to the money factor and pushed themselves into the mainstream of music.

However as this song goes, in my opinion it's a good one. The timing of the guitar and the vocals are well placed, the pitch, length and strength of the music and notes are both done very well; it leaves you wanting to listen again and again.

If you liked this track, then you'll probably like this album is my advice.

I'm Like A Lawyer With The Way I'm Always Trying To Get You Off (Me & You)

As the length of the title suggests, this is a return to old for FOB, this is a much more 'emo' song, but it has a pop-like twist. From the first opening seconds, I was tempted to skip the song, but I didn't, and I'm glad too. The chorus is brilliant, and makes you appreciate the song as a whole.

It's a slower song than the others, but the singing is clear, and guitars and drums in the back work well together as a way to almost raise the song from where it's 'emo' origins lie.

Another brilliant song, and probably my most played of this month.

Hum Hallelujar
Length: 3:50

It's a happy song, and is supposedly about how bass guitarist Pete Wentz tried to commit suicide, and this would help to explain it's thankful tone. It's a OK song, but probably the worst of the album.

Golden
Length: 2:32

Yet another slow song from Fall Out Boy, and it reminds me a song I once heard somewhere else. Probably also the most depressing song on the album, it seems to be about life itself, though I'm never one to look too deeply into lyrics. Just a listen to a few of the lines in the song, and you get the idea though.

Another one of my favourites from the album.

Thnks Fr Th Mmrs

No, it's not a typo, that's how the song is actually spelt. Now this song is a return to energy, leaving the slower songs behind and really going for it. Doing what FOB do best. The title is supposed to read "Thanks for the memories", so my guess is that the memories wern't good enough and that's why it's written without many of the letters required.

A faster song that some would argue has more passion involved, it's not a favourite of mine, but it's still very good.

Don't You Know Who I Think I Am
Length: 2:52

The vocals are similar to that of "Sugar We're Goin' Down" in that his voice changes pitch rapidly to give an out of control feeling. I'm not a fan of this song, it seems too forced, made just to be there.

A track that wouldn't be missed.

The (After) Life Of The Party
Length: 3:21

A middle ranged song, that good voicing in places, and bad guitar solos in others. I'm not sure what to make of this song, on one hand technically I should think it rather bad for what it offers, but for some reason I can't help but let it play out over and over again.

An odd song, but I think like it.

The Carpal Tunnel Of Love

Released in America, this is terms of the instruments the best song on the album. However, in my opinion, it's let down by a whiny vocalist lol. I'm not sure if he's crying or screaming softly. Quite awful.

I suppose if you really listen to it over again, it starts becoming slightly better. But that's not what you want to do with a song, you want to learn to like something.

Average.

Bang The Doldrums

A song you can actually Rock to. I like this one, it's probably a more aquired taste, but it's got the guitar parts I think are essential to a Rock song, and vocals are strong and more direct to the song.

A definite for me, but I could easily see others being put off very easily, listen if you will, but don't judge the album from it.

Fame < Infamy
Length: 3:06

Now this is a good song. The guitar rifts are brilliant, and placed perfectly, the vocals are nice, and not too dreary which is a problem FOB place themselves into.

No, this a true return to colour, and is like a calmer version of "The Pros and Cons of Breathing", at the middle it slows briefly to allow for some more solos, and then picks right back up where it started.

More to add to good side!

You're Crashing, But You're No Wave
Length: 3:42

The vocals start slow, but pick up quickly to match the music. An appealing chorus, which you may not remember in a hurry, but certainly one you'll want to listen to again.

In total well above average, but it could have been better.

I've Got All This Ringing In My Ears But None On My Fingers
Length: 4:06

The last, and longest track on the album, it's different from the rest. It starts with a piano instead of a guitar, the vocals here a clear and straight. It sounds almost like it was influenced by the song "Bliss" by "Muse".

A nice song, but not a great one to leave it on, had they switched this with "Golden" it would have been far more effective.

So in summary, a fantastic album overall. The good songs more than compensate for the not so good, this album really is a must buy for music lovers. Even if you've been put off by Fall Out Boy in the past, give this a go, you'll be surprised if you give it a chance.

Favourite Song: Golden
Least Liked Song: Don't You Know Who I am?

[B]Overall: 8/10[/B]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.