GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I thought PES3 was supposed to be BETTER..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pro Evolution Soccer 3'.
Sat 01/11/03 at 19:06
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Everyone's been raving about it, but really, it isn't that good, is it? Here's some points that spring to mind:

The players are sluggish and lethargic, moving a hell of a lot slower than in PES2.

They always stop for a moment before a shot, often ruining the whole play.

Most of the opposing team seems to end up in their own box, and all following you. You don't stand a chance most of the time.

You have to be facing the goal exactly to have any chance of scoring. Even one degree off and you'll miss, or sometimes they just spoon it anyway. I've had great strikers like Raul just completely waste an excellent chance and nearly have it go for a throw in for no apparent reason.

Free kicks are given away for literally nothing. 90% of the free kicks that have been given against me I have no idea why they were given. I've been in possession, gone to shoot or pass, the ball has hit another player and it's a free kick.

The players have become even more loose with the ball; just the slightest knock will lose you possession. When you try and tackle someone, you get the ball and immediately trip up and lose it - this happens a good 8/9 tenths of the time. Then another player runs in, gets the ball, loses the ball, another player runs in, etc... It can go on for about five minutes until it finally gets out of the scramble.

All the menus and text have been drastically changed and look pathetic. Very bare and amateurish.

Am I missing something? I think I prefer Pro Evo 2.
Sat 01/11/03 at 19:06
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Everyone's been raving about it, but really, it isn't that good, is it? Here's some points that spring to mind:

The players are sluggish and lethargic, moving a hell of a lot slower than in PES2.

They always stop for a moment before a shot, often ruining the whole play.

Most of the opposing team seems to end up in their own box, and all following you. You don't stand a chance most of the time.

You have to be facing the goal exactly to have any chance of scoring. Even one degree off and you'll miss, or sometimes they just spoon it anyway. I've had great strikers like Raul just completely waste an excellent chance and nearly have it go for a throw in for no apparent reason.

Free kicks are given away for literally nothing. 90% of the free kicks that have been given against me I have no idea why they were given. I've been in possession, gone to shoot or pass, the ball has hit another player and it's a free kick.

The players have become even more loose with the ball; just the slightest knock will lose you possession. When you try and tackle someone, you get the ball and immediately trip up and lose it - this happens a good 8/9 tenths of the time. Then another player runs in, gets the ball, loses the ball, another player runs in, etc... It can go on for about five minutes until it finally gets out of the scramble.

All the menus and text have been drastically changed and look pathetic. Very bare and amateurish.

Am I missing something? I think I prefer Pro Evo 2.
Sat 01/11/03 at 19:13
Regular
"Notable"
you didint mention the most obvious that the goalies are absolutely pathetic and its hard NOT to score which ruins the whole game 100%.
Sat 01/11/03 at 19:14
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Yep, in many situations they're absolute pants, to put it plainly. That is, if you can even hit the target to start with.
Sat 01/11/03 at 19:15
Regular
"PRO EVO MASTER"
Mate we are all allowed opinions but i strongly disagree with your statement, the gameplay is far superior to pes2, i can score from anywhere it just takes a while to get used to because the change from pes2 to pes3is quite allot, if your wondering how to get all the right names and kits badges check this auction

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3056180034
Sat 01/11/03 at 20:47
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Blank wrote:
> They always stop for a moment before a shot, often ruining the whole
> play.

It's easy to find space so that this doesn't effect the overall outcome of the shot.

> Most of the opposing team seems to end up in their own box, and all
> following you. You don't stand a chance most of the time.

Don't sprint, and you should quite easily be able to get into position for a shot. Hang about on the edge of the area and keep running up and down on the line until you have a chance to shoot.

> You have to be facing the goal exactly to have any chance of scoring.
> Even one degree off and you'll miss, or sometimes they just spoon it
> anyway. I've had great strikers like Raul just completely waste an
> excellent chance and nearly have it go for a throw in for no apparent
> reason.

Not really - it's just that if you hit the ball when sprinting the shot duffs up... fairly realistically, too. Slow down to hit.

> Free kicks are given away for literally nothing. 90% of the free
> kicks that have been given against me I have no idea why they were
> given. I've been in possession, gone to shoot or pass, the ball has
> hit another player and it's a free kick.

Fair point - the free kicks are one of the few actual negative points.

> All the menus and text have been drastically changed and look
> pathetic. Very bare and amateurish.

I'd say the gameplay matters a little more than menus. My take on things, anyway.
Sat 01/11/03 at 20:48
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Orgasmo Malcior wrote:
> you didint mention the most obvious that the goalies are absolutely
> pathetic and its hard NOT to score which ruins the whole game 100%.

Stop playing it on 2-star, then.
Sat 01/11/03 at 20:50
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Well since I've never played PES2 I can't really compare both games, but I agree with the point about the free kicks. They're given away for everything and anything, admitedly I haven't played a footie game in years and I've only played one match in PES3 so far, but in just the one match I got countless Yellow cards and 3 Reds. This is probably because I'm not used to footie games and need to work on tackling, but still, that's a bit harsh.

:)
Sat 01/11/03 at 20:51
Regular
Blank, turn the game speed up.

I think.
Sat 01/11/03 at 20:55
Regular
I had the updated Winning Eleven 6 FE for the GameCube and Pro Evolution 3 on the PS2 in an all round better game. My only problem is that its a little easy. Just finished my first Master League season on 5 Star and won both the league and cup and then went onto to qualify through the play offs. I have aboiut 16,000 points to spend on players but no one signs. However I don't want to sign anyone to be honest because it will make the game even easier. I think I lost one master league game and drew 2, the rest I won and some convincinly (5-0 against PES).

Awesome game with simply no competition, I just hope the the Southern league is a bit tougher than the Northern one.
Sun 02/11/03 at 00:13
Regular
"Notable"
AfroJoe wrote:
> Orgasmo Malcior wrote:
> you didint mention the most obvious that the goalies are absolutely
> pathetic and its hard NOT to score which ruins the whole game 100%.
>
> Stop playing it on 2-star, then.

i dont play on 2 star and it dont matter there stil totally poor it dosent matter how much you defend your precious game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.