GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Swordfish - best film of the summer?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/09/01 at 20:57
Regular
I couldn't find a place on the site to post a review of an actual film that's just been released, so I thought it could go here - your thoughts would be welcome!!

The best film of 2001? Staring John Travolta as the ‘baddie’, Hugh Jackman as the good guy, working for the bad guy in an attempt to get his daughter back (you may remember him from the not so fantastic X Men, would you prefer to be remembered as the quality geezer from Swordfish or ‘Wolverine?’) Halle Berry, Don Cheadle, Sam Shepard, Camryn Grims and Vinnie Jones all give stunning performances – is there a film that the old Wimbledon faithful doesn’t appear in? The acting is first rate, the production, as a whole would take a lot to be upstaged, and the directing is supreme.

Swordfish is arguably one of the best films released this year, and I would say that it’s one of the cleverest films I have ever watched, it’s not at all like the Matrix, although written by the same people, it’s got to be the greatest good versus bad versus convention film in a long while. I was impressed by the inclusion of that modern classic 360degrees camera trickery – nice inclusion, very Matrix like!

Special effects do not make this film spectacular, they merely enhance its fantastic storyline, amazing acting, unbelievably brilliant soundtrack by Paul Oakenfold – if you’re going to see the film, watch the credits if only for that superb hallucinogenic style dance/trance/house music. Swordfish is a classic, it’s a feel good film, and one that if you missed at the cinema, you will be needing to purchase a home cinema set up – nice wide screen television etc. This film rules, and they know it.

“You know what the problem with Hollywood is: they make rubbish, unbelievable, unremarkable rubbish. Now, I’m not some grungy wannabe filmmaker…” and so on. John Travolta fits the role like a £500 hand fitted Armani glove, and he’s superb at being a bad guy. I won’t give anything away, but believe me. You will be confused, then realise, and then appreciate the scripting and complexity in masterminding the whole film. You will literally, be blown away. (No, not really literally, but Swordfish will leave an impression).

Stanley (Jackman), plays the role of good guy who wants to get his daughter back from his boozer of an ex wife, as he can’t stand to lose her, and he’d do anything. Strangely he’s the best hacker in the world, and a group of people, led by Travolta, want him to do a little task…namely, there’s lots of money involved, and they need someone who can ‘hack’. I’ll leave it there, as I’ve said enough about the plot, I don’t want to give it away too much.

There are lots of twists and turns in the movie to keep you on the edge of your seat, the picture quality is amazing – superb lighting effects and the fact that the filmmakers manage to make hacking exciting and strangely desirable, notably for the money involved, but there you go.

It’s a class act that I’d recommend to ANYONE over the age of 15 as you won’t get in otherwise.

10/10.

"For someone who was reported to be the most dangerous hacker in America, you sure don't look like much"

A fantastic movie. The cinema experience is never complete without the 5 star film. This is one such film.

Watch it!
Wed 05/09/01 at 20:57
I couldn't find a place on the site to post a review of an actual film that's just been released, so I thought it could go here - your thoughts would be welcome!!

The best film of 2001? Staring John Travolta as the ‘baddie’, Hugh Jackman as the good guy, working for the bad guy in an attempt to get his daughter back (you may remember him from the not so fantastic X Men, would you prefer to be remembered as the quality geezer from Swordfish or ‘Wolverine?’) Halle Berry, Don Cheadle, Sam Shepard, Camryn Grims and Vinnie Jones all give stunning performances – is there a film that the old Wimbledon faithful doesn’t appear in? The acting is first rate, the production, as a whole would take a lot to be upstaged, and the directing is supreme.

Swordfish is arguably one of the best films released this year, and I would say that it’s one of the cleverest films I have ever watched, it’s not at all like the Matrix, although written by the same people, it’s got to be the greatest good versus bad versus convention film in a long while. I was impressed by the inclusion of that modern classic 360degrees camera trickery – nice inclusion, very Matrix like!

Special effects do not make this film spectacular, they merely enhance its fantastic storyline, amazing acting, unbelievably brilliant soundtrack by Paul Oakenfold – if you’re going to see the film, watch the credits if only for that superb hallucinogenic style dance/trance/house music. Swordfish is a classic, it’s a feel good film, and one that if you missed at the cinema, you will be needing to purchase a home cinema set up – nice wide screen television etc. This film rules, and they know it.

“You know what the problem with Hollywood is: they make rubbish, unbelievable, unremarkable rubbish. Now, I’m not some grungy wannabe filmmaker…” and so on. John Travolta fits the role like a £500 hand fitted Armani glove, and he’s superb at being a bad guy. I won’t give anything away, but believe me. You will be confused, then realise, and then appreciate the scripting and complexity in masterminding the whole film. You will literally, be blown away. (No, not really literally, but Swordfish will leave an impression).

Stanley (Jackman), plays the role of good guy who wants to get his daughter back from his boozer of an ex wife, as he can’t stand to lose her, and he’d do anything. Strangely he’s the best hacker in the world, and a group of people, led by Travolta, want him to do a little task…namely, there’s lots of money involved, and they need someone who can ‘hack’. I’ll leave it there, as I’ve said enough about the plot, I don’t want to give it away too much.

There are lots of twists and turns in the movie to keep you on the edge of your seat, the picture quality is amazing – superb lighting effects and the fact that the filmmakers manage to make hacking exciting and strangely desirable, notably for the money involved, but there you go.

It’s a class act that I’d recommend to ANYONE over the age of 15 as you won’t get in otherwise.

10/10.

"For someone who was reported to be the most dangerous hacker in America, you sure don't look like much"

A fantastic movie. The cinema experience is never complete without the 5 star film. This is one such film.

Watch it!
Wed 05/09/01 at 22:39
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I'm sorry, did we see the same film? Are you sure they didn't accidently play Pulp Fiction instead? Swordfish was an unmitigated disaster from beginning to end. I had wash my eyes and ears out after subjecting them to that rubbish. Yuk!
Wed 05/09/01 at 22:43
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I would have to agree with Silverdog, its a good film and is a blockbuster hit of the Summer.
Wed 05/09/01 at 22:51
misterhappy wrote:
> I'm sorry, did we see the same film? Are you sure they didn't
> accidently play Pulp Fiction instead? Swordfish was an unmitigated
> disaster from beginning to end. I had wash my eyes and ears out
> after subjecting them to that rubbish. Yuk!

I don't think we did see the same film, you've clearly been watching "Help I'm a fish"

:D
Wed 05/09/01 at 22:56
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Ohhhh right! I was pretty sure that John Travolta hadn't become an animation overnight. However, given my myopia I was willing to believe it was my mistake...

haha

:)
Thu 06/09/01 at 01:08
Swordfish as an animation would be, strange. Great review, shame about the lame chasing scene!! NICE cars in it tho!
Thu 06/09/01 at 09:02
Feelgood movie?
How the hell can you feel good about a film that suggests it's okay to kill as many innocents as you want as long as it looks cool and you kill some baddies afterwards?
The film was complete and utter crap from begining to end.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.