GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So...this OnLive malarky..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/03/10 at 10:30
Regular
"eat toast!"
I'm sure you've heard about it and know what it does. If not, go here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8556874.stm

Frankly i'm skeptical. Its going to be a big challenge to get working. Hell, look at the UBISOFT DRM method of keeping online, that doesn't work properly and you'll get random disconnections etc and if theres too much demand (lets say accomadate millions if not billions of people+ growth) this will be costly and more things go wrong. Hell i can't even see HD gaming over a broadband cable working properly in the first place. I barely can get some games to work properly over my connection. They state that the money you would invest in new consoles and PCs would instead go towards buying new games on their side if you use it. Oh? I would be spending my money on a better broadband connection (which would be costing me more in the long run) or saving it during the recession. Hell, some places properly won't accomadate for it.

Then theres the ownership issue. Some people are already getting shirty over STEAM and how they don't own the games etc, but what if people invest large amounts of money OnLive only for them to close down? Your large collection of games gone. It looks even worse when it goes under lets say a few years down the line and its well established?

Well, heres hoping it works out either way. Its a nice idea if it works. It might spell the doom of consoles and gaming pcs possibly, but i don't see it being totally eradicated.
Fri 12/03/10 at 13:36
Regular
"eat toast!"
I think the idea was that you were supposed to save money from buying a games console/PC or any hardware to play your games as all you needed was a PC that could run the internet and had a decent connection.

I hear that you'll need to pay a subscription rate and also buy the game itself! Good luck Onlive! You're doing a fine job preparing to shoot yourself in the face.
Fri 12/03/10 at 11:20
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
spoonbeast wrote:
> i pity the poor gamers who decide to take the plunge. Either
> they're going to be fine or they're going to lose money.

I'm expecting the latter.

There is no need for this service anymore anyway - Live Marketplace (and pretty certain the PSN are as well) are offering games on demand. And at a cheaper than retail price too!
Fri 12/03/10 at 11:06
Regular
"eat toast!"
i pity the poor gamers who decide to take the plunge. Either they're going to be fine or they're going to lose money.
Fri 12/03/10 at 08:05
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I've just read the article. It sounds a good idea for customers in theory, but theories are crazy things like a biscuit raft that disintergrate at any given moment.

Judging by the number or problems the PSN and XBL have when playing games over servers - streaming the game as well as playing against people???? It sounds crazy.

I'll be sticking to a console...they may break down with a RROD or a date problem, but at least you can get them fixed!
Thu 11/03/10 at 10:30
Regular
"eat toast!"
I'm sure you've heard about it and know what it does. If not, go here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8556874.stm

Frankly i'm skeptical. Its going to be a big challenge to get working. Hell, look at the UBISOFT DRM method of keeping online, that doesn't work properly and you'll get random disconnections etc and if theres too much demand (lets say accomadate millions if not billions of people+ growth) this will be costly and more things go wrong. Hell i can't even see HD gaming over a broadband cable working properly in the first place. I barely can get some games to work properly over my connection. They state that the money you would invest in new consoles and PCs would instead go towards buying new games on their side if you use it. Oh? I would be spending my money on a better broadband connection (which would be costing me more in the long run) or saving it during the recession. Hell, some places properly won't accomadate for it.

Then theres the ownership issue. Some people are already getting shirty over STEAM and how they don't own the games etc, but what if people invest large amounts of money OnLive only for them to close down? Your large collection of games gone. It looks even worse when it goes under lets say a few years down the line and its well established?

Well, heres hoping it works out either way. Its a nice idea if it works. It might spell the doom of consoles and gaming pcs possibly, but i don't see it being totally eradicated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.