GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Rayman 2: The Great Escape (iPod Touch)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Rayman 2: The Great Escape'.
Wed 10/03/10 at 23:45
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Any game I’ve downloaded for my iPod in the past, while good fun have more often than not been relatively small and simple in nature. Usually consisting of a basic puzzle concept or a slightly updated web-browser game, I’d yet to really sink my teeth into a fully fledged adventure on the small device. So I figured what the hell and paid the extra for an old ported favourite, Rayman 2: The Great Escape.

Admiral Razorbeard and his gang have taken over the land and enslaved anyone who stand in their way. Beginning the story inside a prison cell with your friend Globox, you soon regain your powers where after a quick break out and daring dive off a flying pirate ship you begin grabbing Lums and saving your friends locked up in cages across a number of levels. Throw in some magic masks that need collecting in order to beat the evil Razorbeard and you have a wacky story line that is full of such funny characters and so much charm that you can’t help but fall for it.

Rayman 2: The Great Escape is a platformer through and through with good timing and jumping being the key to making it from beginning to end in one piece. It is simple to pick up as jumping, swimming and punching are about all Rayman can do. While it may not seem like much, the challenge comes from using these abilities to navigate your environment. Throughout the adventure you’ll use grapple points to swing on, a Loch Ness monster lookalike to water-ski with and more. Just when you think you’ve seen it all the game throws you into a new situation.

My biggest concern with any game that requires a D-pad or an analogue stick is how well it could possibly translate over to a device that has neither and instead relies on a touch screen. How would it be even possible to play a game like Rayman? Turns out it is possible, but it isn’t exactly ideal either. The button pressing is not too much of an issue, on the lower right hand side of the screen two circles appear that when touched instruct Rayman to punch or jump. It is weird at first to adjust to not getting some sort of response (the button going downward) when you use them but you can get used to it. The biggest problem comes in the form of the fake analogue. On the lower left hand side is a virtual stick that can be dragged around (much like a real analogue) in order to move Rayman. In theory it should all work well, but in reality it sadly falls flat, often at times becoming a game of pure frustration. With no feedback whatsoever, it’s too hard to tell how far you’ve pushed the stick which is vital especially in most of the later, tougher levels. Whatsmore, you’re thumb will often slip away from the response area, meaning you’ll be stood still when you want to move. Combine this annoyance with the fact you’ll also be focusing on getting used to the “buttons” and you have a fairly jumbled control scheme. Is it impossible? It felt that way to me the further I went into the game. Does it ruin your fun? At times it sadly does.

Levels are accessed via a world map where within each you’ll need to make it through a series of smaller areas. It’s all very linear and that works well for a handheld game where smaller sessions are common place. The thing that doesn’t work however, is the lack of being able to save mid-level. Some, especially later stages can take a fair while, and should you train journey end mid-playing there’s no way to save it and return later. Maybe a patch can fix this down the line.

Visually the Glade Of Dreams (where the game is set) often at times looks very murky and miserable. The excessive mixture of browns, dark greens and even more browns can make the lands you explore feel slightly boring and at times it can be tough to tell one area you’ve just explored to another. Later stages do offer a little more, but overall get used to dark forests. All that aside though, it is impressive how a pretty big 3D game such as this is fit into a small download for the iPod. Everything is clear and besides a limited colour palette, I’m impressed.

The music from what I remember of the Dreamcast version all those years ago, remains the same which in my mind is no bad thing. The upbeat tunes that you’ll hear throughout each stage you tackle, match the surroundings perfectly and when coupled with the funny Gobbledegoop noises made by Rayman, Globox and friends during conversations it all adds to the games overall unique charm. It almost at times feels like a Disney created world. And I don’t mean the current awfully bad Disney with their Hannah Montana’s and Jonas Brothers, but back in the years where they were making amazing cartoon movies. That kind of world.

Rayman 2: The Great Escape is a wonderful, charming game that for me still stands tall as one of my favourite platformers ever. Sadly the iPod version just doesn’t do it justice. While the adventure itself is still just as fun as ever, the poor control scheme means its one that’s full of countless frustrations as well as joys.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 10/03/10 at 23:45
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Any game I’ve downloaded for my iPod in the past, while good fun have more often than not been relatively small and simple in nature. Usually consisting of a basic puzzle concept or a slightly updated web-browser game, I’d yet to really sink my teeth into a fully fledged adventure on the small device. So I figured what the hell and paid the extra for an old ported favourite, Rayman 2: The Great Escape.

Admiral Razorbeard and his gang have taken over the land and enslaved anyone who stand in their way. Beginning the story inside a prison cell with your friend Globox, you soon regain your powers where after a quick break out and daring dive off a flying pirate ship you begin grabbing Lums and saving your friends locked up in cages across a number of levels. Throw in some magic masks that need collecting in order to beat the evil Razorbeard and you have a wacky story line that is full of such funny characters and so much charm that you can’t help but fall for it.

Rayman 2: The Great Escape is a platformer through and through with good timing and jumping being the key to making it from beginning to end in one piece. It is simple to pick up as jumping, swimming and punching are about all Rayman can do. While it may not seem like much, the challenge comes from using these abilities to navigate your environment. Throughout the adventure you’ll use grapple points to swing on, a Loch Ness monster lookalike to water-ski with and more. Just when you think you’ve seen it all the game throws you into a new situation.

My biggest concern with any game that requires a D-pad or an analogue stick is how well it could possibly translate over to a device that has neither and instead relies on a touch screen. How would it be even possible to play a game like Rayman? Turns out it is possible, but it isn’t exactly ideal either. The button pressing is not too much of an issue, on the lower right hand side of the screen two circles appear that when touched instruct Rayman to punch or jump. It is weird at first to adjust to not getting some sort of response (the button going downward) when you use them but you can get used to it. The biggest problem comes in the form of the fake analogue. On the lower left hand side is a virtual stick that can be dragged around (much like a real analogue) in order to move Rayman. In theory it should all work well, but in reality it sadly falls flat, often at times becoming a game of pure frustration. With no feedback whatsoever, it’s too hard to tell how far you’ve pushed the stick which is vital especially in most of the later, tougher levels. Whatsmore, you’re thumb will often slip away from the response area, meaning you’ll be stood still when you want to move. Combine this annoyance with the fact you’ll also be focusing on getting used to the “buttons” and you have a fairly jumbled control scheme. Is it impossible? It felt that way to me the further I went into the game. Does it ruin your fun? At times it sadly does.

Levels are accessed via a world map where within each you’ll need to make it through a series of smaller areas. It’s all very linear and that works well for a handheld game where smaller sessions are common place. The thing that doesn’t work however, is the lack of being able to save mid-level. Some, especially later stages can take a fair while, and should you train journey end mid-playing there’s no way to save it and return later. Maybe a patch can fix this down the line.

Visually the Glade Of Dreams (where the game is set) often at times looks very murky and miserable. The excessive mixture of browns, dark greens and even more browns can make the lands you explore feel slightly boring and at times it can be tough to tell one area you’ve just explored to another. Later stages do offer a little more, but overall get used to dark forests. All that aside though, it is impressive how a pretty big 3D game such as this is fit into a small download for the iPod. Everything is clear and besides a limited colour palette, I’m impressed.

The music from what I remember of the Dreamcast version all those years ago, remains the same which in my mind is no bad thing. The upbeat tunes that you’ll hear throughout each stage you tackle, match the surroundings perfectly and when coupled with the funny Gobbledegoop noises made by Rayman, Globox and friends during conversations it all adds to the games overall unique charm. It almost at times feels like a Disney created world. And I don’t mean the current awfully bad Disney with their Hannah Montana’s and Jonas Brothers, but back in the years where they were making amazing cartoon movies. That kind of world.

Rayman 2: The Great Escape is a wonderful, charming game that for me still stands tall as one of my favourite platformers ever. Sadly the iPod version just doesn’t do it justice. While the adventure itself is still just as fun as ever, the poor control scheme means its one that’s full of countless frustrations as well as joys.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.