GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming Cliche's"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/09/01 at 17:40
Regular
For every original feature in a game , there’s also something that’s been done a million times before. Here’s just a few that come into mind!

Number 1: Desert , Forest and Snow.
In every platform game you play , at least one of the above will appear in it. Ice levels are always slippery , Desert levels have quicksand , and Forest levels are um , Green.

Number 2: ‘Varied’ characters.
When an adventure game has multiple characters , one must be Strong but Slow , and the other must be Quick but Weak.

Number 3: Floating platforms.
Jump on one of these beauties and you’ll be taken that bit closer to the end of the level. How on earth do they float though!?

Number 4: Kidnapped!
The main characters brother / sister must be kidnapped so there is a good reason for all that violence to take place!

Number 5: Big Head Mode.
Forget unlocking secret characters or extra levels , the real fun in a game lies in spending ages earning the big head mode. Why? ‘cos its ‘funny’.

Number 6: Crates , lots of Crates.
If you stick these in a game it will double its completion time! Why? Because you’ll spend half your time shooting them open to see if there’s anything in the darn things!

Number 7: Dodgy characters.
When you first meet these characters you don’t know whether to trust them , only to find out later that he’s your Brother and he wants to kill you!

Number 8: Futuristic settings.
Futuristic settings mean cars can float , guns are bigger and the aliens have landed!

Number 9: Rubbish Endings.
After playing the game for ages , its finally over! So all that’s left to do is watch the ending you’ve worked so hard for…only to find out that it’s a pile of rubbish!

Number 10: Floating Power-ups
The best place to look when low on health isn’t in a first aid cupboard , just walk around until you find a First Aid Kit rotating a few inches above the ground!

So there are just a few things that we see too often in games.

Thanks for reading!
Tue 04/09/01 at 17:40
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
For every original feature in a game , there’s also something that’s been done a million times before. Here’s just a few that come into mind!

Number 1: Desert , Forest and Snow.
In every platform game you play , at least one of the above will appear in it. Ice levels are always slippery , Desert levels have quicksand , and Forest levels are um , Green.

Number 2: ‘Varied’ characters.
When an adventure game has multiple characters , one must be Strong but Slow , and the other must be Quick but Weak.

Number 3: Floating platforms.
Jump on one of these beauties and you’ll be taken that bit closer to the end of the level. How on earth do they float though!?

Number 4: Kidnapped!
The main characters brother / sister must be kidnapped so there is a good reason for all that violence to take place!

Number 5: Big Head Mode.
Forget unlocking secret characters or extra levels , the real fun in a game lies in spending ages earning the big head mode. Why? ‘cos its ‘funny’.

Number 6: Crates , lots of Crates.
If you stick these in a game it will double its completion time! Why? Because you’ll spend half your time shooting them open to see if there’s anything in the darn things!

Number 7: Dodgy characters.
When you first meet these characters you don’t know whether to trust them , only to find out later that he’s your Brother and he wants to kill you!

Number 8: Futuristic settings.
Futuristic settings mean cars can float , guns are bigger and the aliens have landed!

Number 9: Rubbish Endings.
After playing the game for ages , its finally over! So all that’s left to do is watch the ending you’ve worked so hard for…only to find out that it’s a pile of rubbish!

Number 10: Floating Power-ups
The best place to look when low on health isn’t in a first aid cupboard , just walk around until you find a First Aid Kit rotating a few inches above the ground!

So there are just a few things that we see too often in games.

Thanks for reading!
Tue 04/09/01 at 21:29
Regular
End of level bosses with the mandatory "weakpoint" always does my head in. In fact, end of level bosses do my head in full stop!

Also, ammunition just hanging around, and health packs just sitting in corners. It's stupid really.
Tue 04/09/01 at 21:34
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
And yet, people are strangely drawn to them.........
Tue 04/09/01 at 21:35
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Who leaves around ammo? Nobody. Who leaves around Health packs? Nobody.

Resident evil 2 does both the opposite of these. Ammo is in lockers or in normal places.

Health is a bit dubious though. Plants? well maybe, if you are an indian or something.
Tue 04/09/01 at 23:04
Regular
rings or coins you have to collect rings or coins
Tue 04/09/01 at 23:09
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Most Platformers are modelled on Mario though.
And when Ice levels and coins come into it, Mario should be excused.
Wed 05/09/01 at 08:36
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
There were loads I could have added , but I just chose 10.
Stuff like , not being able to drive on the grass in racing games , and that bonus tracks in racing games are always rubbish! Keep adding them though!
Wed 05/09/01 at 09:59
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Check my

Fighting Games Wind Me Up
RPG Wind Me Up

for the cliches that annoy me
Wed 05/09/01 at 11:17
thats a way to advertise you posts very sluy there mr Goatboy, but not sluy enough.

That was on fish to obvious
Wed 05/09/01 at 11:54
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
NO, that was a polite way of saying
"Wow, what a similar topic to mine, but written in a GAD attempt style"

But I'm far too polite to do something like that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.