GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"THUG Views"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Tony Hawk's Underground'.
Mon 24/11/03 at 21:21
Regular
It's been a few days since it's release, and since no one has started a topic directly about THUG anywhere, I thought I might as well...

Anyway, I just completed it in Story Mode on Normal difficulty, and although it was good, completing it was no where near as satisfying as say, Tony Hawks 4. This is probably because even on normal, most goals are extremely easy (this is why it seems so stupid that theres an easy mode, and wait for it, an EASY easy mode with reduced physics *sigh*)

Although having a story does add an interesting element to the Tony Hawks series, by doing this, the game seems to have lost a lot of structure. The goals seem VERY inconsistent in quality, and the driving levels are truely cr@P, the cars handle like a slippery bar of bloody soap. Gone are the 'collect SKATE, or COMBO letters' goals (although I think COMBO made an appearance in some shape or form for a shoe sponsor), now there are 'really fun' goals like walking a dog (i.e skitching on it :S) and blowing leaves. Also, it seems like I've only ever been to some levels once or twice. There aren't very many goals for each level, and some don't seem to be as 'skater friendly' as before. There are no great levels like Alcatraz or Zoo to be honest, although the first level isn't bad.

Anyway, not everything is bad about THUG. The new create-a-trick mode is a neat extra, as is the create a deck mode (which could have been much better, looking at F-Zero GX) and the create-a-park, I presume, has been greatly improved (I think you can make you're own goals as well), but I've never really been too bothered with create-a-park. Also, being able to get off the board is indeed the best thing since the manual, and it has been handled very well by Neversoft.

Overall, If you liked the previous games, you're almost guaranteed to like this one, but maybe just not as much as you loved THPS4 or THPS2 (look out for some THPS2 hidden levels).

Anyway, enough of my views, whatt do you people think about it?
Sun 30/11/03 at 19:08
Regular
The cube controller is fine for Tony Hawks games. Anyway, I have THUG for X-box (which has exactly the same controls as the Cube), and the problem ain't the controls, it's the hit and miss quality of the goals...
Sun 30/11/03 at 14:07
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
Ive been playing THUG all weekend and in my opinion its fantastic. Its the best version there is and i would even say its better than TH2. The levels are actually realistic instead of crappy "carnival" or "boat" levels. The story mode is brilliant and it really feels like you are advancing through the stages as if u were an actual skater. I must say though its best to play it on the hardest setting cos its way too easy for my liking. I think having the story mode has added a new dimension to THUG cos in the old ones it was gettin tedious doin the same old crap. The level design is excellent I especially like Hawaii and Moscow! Ive got a cube and a PS2 but I bought THUG for the PS2 cos the controller is better than the cube one. so those of u saying it aint what they thought its probably because the cubes controller is crap.
Fri 28/11/03 at 16:00
Regular
Well, it's not that the 3rd was really bad or anything, it just seemed like nothing had changed since the 1st and 2nd....
Thu 27/11/03 at 21:47
Regular
TGMbloke wrote:
> THP2 is still the best. DC version.
>
> Beats all the latest ones - Its where Tony was at his peak! I hear
> the XBOX version was even better, but never got realeased on thse
> shores did it?

For me, it'll always be a PlayStation game. Aswell as having a controller like it was designed specifically for the Tony Hawk series, it just feels like a PS2 game at heart. Or what have you.

And THPS4 is the best, with THPS2 next. The series hit an all-time-low with the third I think.
Thu 27/11/03 at 21:44
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Maverick42 wrote:
>
>
> After this disappointing news?
>
> Dissapointing????

I'm certainly a bit miffed about the five hour lifespan.
Wed 26/11/03 at 21:58
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:

>
> After this disappointing news?

Dissapointing????

Tricks improved? Check

Slight additons to the gameplay? Check

Dodgy graphics? Check.

I hear the game is still great if you are a fan of the Hawk games.

And I am.

So it will be great.
Wed 26/11/03 at 19:59
Regular
Hrmm...well I have both, but I'd have to say SSX3. Really is top stuff

But they are both great games, THUG isn't exactly bad...

But yeah, go with SSX3, tis better :)
Wed 26/11/03 at 19:05
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> cannot wait to get it.

After this disappointing news?

I have to say I was looking forward to it but after hearing this I'm not so sure. Perhaps it's better to stay with Tony Hawk's 4, and instead get something like SSX 3?

What's your final opinion Auf Deutsch?
Wed 26/11/03 at 02:22
Regular
I thought this was some violent new game when I read the title.

I want NFSUG

It sounds cooler too.
Wed 26/11/03 at 00:09
Regular
cannot wait to get it.

Looking forward to it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.