GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Monkey Island Wins"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/06/00 at 14:18
Regular
My vote for the most classic game of all time is the Monkey Island series...the first two. Not only were the games way ahead of their time both graphically and in adventure gameplay but to this day I have not found a better character than Guybrush Threepwood. The designer Ron Gilbert made the game extremely original, fun and whitty. Who would've thought the story of a wannabe pirate, in love with the local governor and fending off the evil pirate LeChuck could make such a classic game. I haven't played a game since that I've found so addictive and entertaining. The 3rd one was made by a different design team and didn't live up to half of what the first two did. I've heard they're making Monkey Island 4 now, and I hope it's as good as the earliar ones because you just simply can't beat 'em. If you've never played them, it doesn't matter how old they are, get them and I guarantee you'll agree - the ultimate classic game.
Thu 11/01/01 at 21:24
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Monkey Island was released on the Amiga first (Did the ST ever get a version?) ...

Everybody kinda refers to it as the Amiga age as people think the Amiga won the ST/Amiga battle... However I was an AMiga owner, so my opions is just a touch biased... and to be honest since its 2001, who cares! :)

I tihnk Monkey Island needed a 3D interface... every game in the series moved its interface and look on to the current time... Althouh I remember when LucasArts changed from having the words at the bottom of the screen to selecting the relevent mouse pointer icon...

And although a BIG fan of the Monkey Island series, since it was by the guys who did Sam & Max, I kinda wish they had made a sequal to that game?
Sat 11/11/00 at 10:34
It is an irritation to me when I read a review of the new Monkey Island gsme and i'm told the series began in the days of the Amiga I beg to differ, Monkey Island began in the days of the ATARI, which was, at that time, the biggest games machine on the scene. Maybe nitpicking but I think Atari deserves the remembrance for being what it was the 1st best.
Mandy
Mon 25/09/00 at 01:55
I think that the three monkey island games are all in a class of their own. I can still go back at any time and play the whole game still it gives me a laugh. But my main question is with the success of the first three titles why do they feel the need to make the fourth game 3d. I feel that some times technolgy should not be used and we should stick to what is proven. I think monkey island four will not live up to its previous titles, i hope i am wrong. Even though I will be buying it for nostalgia.
Wed 20/09/00 at 15:09
I've had the Monkey Island Vs Broken Sword argument with my friend a thousand times, and each time I was on the side of Monkey Island. I've heard a rumour that a third Broken Sword is coming out and everyone has heard about the fourth Monkey Island, but I ask myself after all the time I spent on the Amiga compleating the first two Monkey Island games, why the hell do I want to play Broken Sword three more? The answer is that the third one didn't live up to expectations. It was a great game, but not even in the same league as the first two, maybe this is just because I'm getting old or something but the Monkey Islands seem to hold very little interest for me now. The only thing they should do is kill off the lass in it (don't remember her name) and send Guybrush into the world of Grim Fangdango to save her, now that'd be a game worth playing!
Sat 17/06/00 at 14:18
My vote for the most classic game of all time is the Monkey Island series...the first two. Not only were the games way ahead of their time both graphically and in adventure gameplay but to this day I have not found a better character than Guybrush Threepwood. The designer Ron Gilbert made the game extremely original, fun and whitty. Who would've thought the story of a wannabe pirate, in love with the local governor and fending off the evil pirate LeChuck could make such a classic game. I haven't played a game since that I've found so addictive and entertaining. The 3rd one was made by a different design team and didn't live up to half of what the first two did. I've heard they're making Monkey Island 4 now, and I hope it's as good as the earliar ones because you just simply can't beat 'em. If you've never played them, it doesn't matter how old they are, get them and I guarantee you'll agree - the ultimate classic game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.