GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"wat if n64 was cd form?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/08/01 at 21:07
Regular
Ok here is a topic that will really make you think and have a little fun. We all know the N64 is a great system. It has had many great games and has lasted a gaming generation. But my question to you what if the N64 was CD-ROM based instead of cartridge based???? Would we be talking about the N64 as the greatest system ever to this point??? The N64 had arguably the best games for any system out while it was at its peak, Mario, Zelda, WWF No Mercy, Etc. Now don't forget that I said Arguably. I don't want any people replying about the best games for whatever system. But as we all know our beloved N64 was very limited in what it could do because of the cartridge format. Can you imagine Zelda, Rogue Squadron, or WWF No Mercy, with Full Cd quality sound, big elaborate cut scenes, longer levels, more animations. I think the impact the N64, if it were CD-Rom based could have been HUGE. Because graphics wise the N64 is still very very good, and with games that take advantage of the 4MB expansion Pak, it is that much better. Graphics wise the N64 Is much better than the PSX, that is a given. So with that in mind think about how much more Nintendo could have done if the N64 were CD-Rom Based.
Let me know what you think! - Peace!
Thu 30/08/01 at 21:07
Ok here is a topic that will really make you think and have a little fun. We all know the N64 is a great system. It has had many great games and has lasted a gaming generation. But my question to you what if the N64 was CD-ROM based instead of cartridge based???? Would we be talking about the N64 as the greatest system ever to this point??? The N64 had arguably the best games for any system out while it was at its peak, Mario, Zelda, WWF No Mercy, Etc. Now don't forget that I said Arguably. I don't want any people replying about the best games for whatever system. But as we all know our beloved N64 was very limited in what it could do because of the cartridge format. Can you imagine Zelda, Rogue Squadron, or WWF No Mercy, with Full Cd quality sound, big elaborate cut scenes, longer levels, more animations. I think the impact the N64, if it were CD-Rom based could have been HUGE. Because graphics wise the N64 is still very very good, and with games that take advantage of the 4MB expansion Pak, it is that much better. Graphics wise the N64 Is much better than the PSX, that is a given. So with that in mind think about how much more Nintendo could have done if the N64 were CD-Rom Based.
Let me know what you think! - Peace!
Thu 30/08/01 at 21:40
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
if it was cd based we would have those stupid loading times on the psx , thats one bad point. good points .... games could be tons bigger.
Thu 30/08/01 at 21:55
Regular
plus the games would be much cheaper!

But i think the loading times are a huge factor. I hate waiting for the next level to load on psx games. it gets really annoying. I would rather pay the extra money for a cartridge game for the instant loading times.
Fri 31/08/01 at 09:22
Regular
"DS..."
I think that if the N64 was CD based as opposed to cartridges, the N64 would'nt have been as huge a sucess as it is today firstly theres the loading times, i mean can you imagine how much zelda would be let down by loading times? each time you would walk into a new place, then theres the sudden "whir! clunk!" as the N64 would continue to load the next place, the backgrounds, the buildings, the people e.t.c, how annoying would that be?
Secondly, the N64 might not have had as good a design as it has now, because the design would have to be changed drastically in order for it to accept CD's! it would probably look like as crap as the first playstation does, but with twice the power!
Thirdly, (and most importantly) the gamecube might not ever have been invented and Nintendo might have attempted to make a crap sequel to their CD based N64, maybe the N128? now how crap does that sound?
Anyway theres some of my views of how crap the N64 could of possibly been if it was CD based, proving that for every good point you could think of, there are several bad ones, anyway thank god the N64 was'nt CD based in my opinion, and even if i could go back in time and change the N64, I would'nt because if it was any different, then Nintendo and the world woud'nt be where we are today.
slik ~_~
Fri 31/08/01 at 15:35
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
hey slik , you seem to like the word crap , im guessing your under alot of stress , i suggest a clairvoyant. (lol)
Fri 31/08/01 at 16:02
Regular
The N64 would never have worked with Cds, games like Zelda,Mario 64,Perfect Dark would never have worked with loading times.
Fri 31/08/01 at 16:08
Regular
exactly, the thing i love about N64 games is getting straight into them. Its always cool to just have a quick go becasue they load so fast. I ave a go now and again at games like mario kart and mario tennis. They would be sooo annoying if i had to wait for them to load, and they wouldnt be as much.
Fri 31/08/01 at 16:18
I understand what your saying but do you get my point about the cheapness and size the games could be?
Fri 31/08/01 at 16:21
Regular
yeah it would have been cheaper, but I would have hated it, ive never bought a console where I have to wait for the levels to load. Games like Zelda which is basically a massive world would not work with load times,it just wouldn't flow like it should.
Fri 31/08/01 at 16:32
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
So, we've pinpointed the advantages of cartridges and also it's disadvantages. And it seems that most of us aren't willing to sacrifice the advantages (mainly loading times) in order to eliminate the disadvantages. So, what has Nintendo done? They've used a completely different format! Panasonic's 8cm proprietory discs are cheap and importantly, have instantaneous loading times thanks to the Gamecube hardware (remember, Silicon Knights had to SIMULATE load times in Eternal Darkness, because testers complained of the game loading too quickly!). Also, a point which you've all forgotten is that Nintendo magazines can finally include a demo disc with each issue. Nice one Ninty!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.