GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception (PSP)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception'.
Tue 20/02/07 at 13:08
Regular
"Captain to you."
Lately I have been trying out all sorts of different games on my PSP, mostly because to be honest I felt that is was a bit of a waste of money.

The majority of games that are released on the playstation platform just don’t appeal to me. But the thought of a flight sim game on a handheld intrigued me as I was curious as to if it could deliver large enough landscapes at decent graphics and have a control system that worked well on such a small device.

Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception manages to do all of the above and more. I had been impressed by screenshots before playing it so I knew that it would deliver on the scale and quality of graphics that I ideally would want from any flight sim but it wasn’t till I played it that I found out how good it really is.

The controls for your aircraft are very simple, steering is all handled by the analogue stick and other than that the only other controls you need are change weapon, fire weapon and change target.

I was surprised at how well the PSP manages to do this game as the levels aren’t small by any means taking quite some time to travel across them to the next objective. There are a variety of different locations ranging from over the ocean to flying low through a canyon.

The audio is another good feature of the game, giving you enough information through alarms and sounds to know where the enemy is even if they aren’t on your radar.

The truly impressive part of the game is the amount of planes and weapons that are there for you to chose and buy. There must be about 30 different jets from the A10 to a Stealth Fighter and all have different strengths and weaknesses in different situations which means you are best to have a few jets in your hanger to use for the different types of missions as some will excel at air to ground fighting were as others with be fantastic at air to air fights. For each plane there is also a choice of 3 extra weapons these can be missiles that can lock on up to 5 targets at once or even just a nice big bomb to leave a crater in the ground below you where a anti-air gun used to be.

The fact that the PSP is meant to be portable does mean that missions are short, I think the longest I have come across was about 20 minutes long and some where as short as 3-4 minutes. This works in it’s favour as pausing a long mission would break up the game play which would detract from the fun.

Certainly worth looking at if you want something a little different on your PSP.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 20/02/07 at 13:08
Regular
"Captain to you."
Lately I have been trying out all sorts of different games on my PSP, mostly because to be honest I felt that is was a bit of a waste of money.

The majority of games that are released on the playstation platform just don’t appeal to me. But the thought of a flight sim game on a handheld intrigued me as I was curious as to if it could deliver large enough landscapes at decent graphics and have a control system that worked well on such a small device.

Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception manages to do all of the above and more. I had been impressed by screenshots before playing it so I knew that it would deliver on the scale and quality of graphics that I ideally would want from any flight sim but it wasn’t till I played it that I found out how good it really is.

The controls for your aircraft are very simple, steering is all handled by the analogue stick and other than that the only other controls you need are change weapon, fire weapon and change target.

I was surprised at how well the PSP manages to do this game as the levels aren’t small by any means taking quite some time to travel across them to the next objective. There are a variety of different locations ranging from over the ocean to flying low through a canyon.

The audio is another good feature of the game, giving you enough information through alarms and sounds to know where the enemy is even if they aren’t on your radar.

The truly impressive part of the game is the amount of planes and weapons that are there for you to chose and buy. There must be about 30 different jets from the A10 to a Stealth Fighter and all have different strengths and weaknesses in different situations which means you are best to have a few jets in your hanger to use for the different types of missions as some will excel at air to ground fighting were as others with be fantastic at air to air fights. For each plane there is also a choice of 3 extra weapons these can be missiles that can lock on up to 5 targets at once or even just a nice big bomb to leave a crater in the ground below you where a anti-air gun used to be.

The fact that the PSP is meant to be portable does mean that missions are short, I think the longest I have come across was about 20 minutes long and some where as short as 3-4 minutes. This works in it’s favour as pausing a long mission would break up the game play which would detract from the fun.

Certainly worth looking at if you want something a little different on your PSP.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.