GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Morals mean quitting stupid jobs"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/08/01 at 00:51
Regular
I don't care for a career.
Never had anything I want to do outside of playing music and writing.

The place I am currently at I have been there since Jan 2000, went there as a temp and they asked me to stay.
So I did, it's near my house and the people are ok.

Except since I've been working for a new boss, I've grown to realise that the only good thing about my job is the net access. Allows me to post here daytimes.

But, I think if tomorrow plays out like I think it's going to? I'm out of there with a smile and a finger raised in salute.

Why?
My boss is lazy. She doesn't do anything, goes for a fag every 25 mins and basically spends the day on the phone to her family and one mate.
So, I do what work she gives me.
In the meantime, I post here and ask if anyone else wants help.
They all say no, because they're bored as well but don't want to let on.

My problem is, I say what I think.
"You're on the net"
"I've done my work and nobody wants help. I don't want a fag so I'm checking my emails"

When I have work to do, I give it 100%.
When I don't have anything to do, I come here.
Simple.
Some people push a bit of paper around the desk all day and pretend they're busy whilst they talk about what they did at the weekend.
I don't do that.
I'm there to work, and I do to the best of my ability.

So today, I get back to my desk after some menial chore for my lazy boss, and I go to check cost prices on some things for work, and I need a password to access even the intranet.
So, not only am I prevented from coming onto the net, but I'm unable to do what little work I am given.

If my boss has decided that I should be blocked from the net, then I leave.
That simple.
I don't shy away from my work, but I have little to do most times and I don't want to sit about and chat with the people around me, so I go on the net.
As soon as I get something to do, I come off and do that.

If I just sat there and pretended to be busy, no problemo.
But because I work quickly and to the best of my ability instead of spreading it through the day?
I very well may have been restricted net-access by my lazy boss.

And that's not on.
And that's why, should this not be sorted out tomorrow, I am no longer working there.

Done it before and I'll do it again.
It's an employees market and you don't have to take crap from someone just because they're paid more and do less.

So, check back tomorrow sometime to see if there's a follow up from me at work.
And I know what some people will say "You're not there to surf the net, you're there to work"

Ok, but what if you don't have any work and nobody else will admit they don't either?
I will not tolerate someone treating me like that, be they a boss, a friend or the almighty one himself/herself.

Have a good night, I'm off to compose my resignation letter.
And if anyone from my work reads this?
Remember, I didn't fill in any application forms or take any interviews, you asked me if I wanted to work there.

It's not like I would have applied for that position, easy come easy go.
Wed 29/08/01 at 00:51
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I don't care for a career.
Never had anything I want to do outside of playing music and writing.

The place I am currently at I have been there since Jan 2000, went there as a temp and they asked me to stay.
So I did, it's near my house and the people are ok.

Except since I've been working for a new boss, I've grown to realise that the only good thing about my job is the net access. Allows me to post here daytimes.

But, I think if tomorrow plays out like I think it's going to? I'm out of there with a smile and a finger raised in salute.

Why?
My boss is lazy. She doesn't do anything, goes for a fag every 25 mins and basically spends the day on the phone to her family and one mate.
So, I do what work she gives me.
In the meantime, I post here and ask if anyone else wants help.
They all say no, because they're bored as well but don't want to let on.

My problem is, I say what I think.
"You're on the net"
"I've done my work and nobody wants help. I don't want a fag so I'm checking my emails"

When I have work to do, I give it 100%.
When I don't have anything to do, I come here.
Simple.
Some people push a bit of paper around the desk all day and pretend they're busy whilst they talk about what they did at the weekend.
I don't do that.
I'm there to work, and I do to the best of my ability.

So today, I get back to my desk after some menial chore for my lazy boss, and I go to check cost prices on some things for work, and I need a password to access even the intranet.
So, not only am I prevented from coming onto the net, but I'm unable to do what little work I am given.

If my boss has decided that I should be blocked from the net, then I leave.
That simple.
I don't shy away from my work, but I have little to do most times and I don't want to sit about and chat with the people around me, so I go on the net.
As soon as I get something to do, I come off and do that.

If I just sat there and pretended to be busy, no problemo.
But because I work quickly and to the best of my ability instead of spreading it through the day?
I very well may have been restricted net-access by my lazy boss.

And that's not on.
And that's why, should this not be sorted out tomorrow, I am no longer working there.

Done it before and I'll do it again.
It's an employees market and you don't have to take crap from someone just because they're paid more and do less.

So, check back tomorrow sometime to see if there's a follow up from me at work.
And I know what some people will say "You're not there to surf the net, you're there to work"

Ok, but what if you don't have any work and nobody else will admit they don't either?
I will not tolerate someone treating me like that, be they a boss, a friend or the almighty one himself/herself.

Have a good night, I'm off to compose my resignation letter.
And if anyone from my work reads this?
Remember, I didn't fill in any application forms or take any interviews, you asked me if I wanted to work there.

It's not like I would have applied for that position, easy come easy go.
Wed 29/08/01 at 12:26
"High polygon count"
I know *exactly* how you feel.
Wed 29/08/01 at 19:24
"possibly impossible"
Me too (says the guy posting this from work!)

We luckily found a document at our office that was instantly highlighted and stuck on a prominant wall after our last boss started checking out our history on explorer. It read 'No manager should attempt to control or explore an employees net access, but if they believe access is being used in an improper manner, should contact the technical team.'
Wed 29/08/01 at 23:37
Regular
Maybe this isnt quite the same, but at school I used to get given the work......

Found it a piece of pis$, did it in about 3 minutes while the rest of the class sat there for about an hour, chatting, and eventually completing about 3 lessons later!.....

What I object to is being given more work when youve finished.... "Well done David, heres another piece of work to keep you occupied".....

I dont want another piece of work..... I worked damn hard for that 3 minutes and have completed the tasks set...... so why should I be PUNISHED for being clever?! :-)

Im going to college this year, and Im hoping its gonna be alot better.... Ive heard you can basically do what you want there *Dav1d pulls large grin*.........
Thu 30/08/01 at 00:29
Regular
"not dead"
Do you want to know about my work for the last year and more?

i was taken on as a trainee, given a training plan then left with no work to do for a couple of months.

I and one other guy had some tasks to do then, so I got on with them, until they were finished.

Then nothing again for months.

I took afew sick days, simply because i couldn't handle having nothing to do, and got a verbal warning. Hell I'd be there more if i had something to do!

Anyway I got shifted to a different manager, but still no work came my way.

I tried to seek work from others, but because of big company red tape, there was all sorts of problems. I forced the issue, and got onto a different team.

You may have noticed that my posting has decreased dramatically over the last two weeks as I have been given several routine tasks to do, been sent to other sites to pick up a few new projects from people, and I've been encouraged to spend an hour a day minimum studying towards gaining my CCNA by the end of September.

I now have more work to do that I can probably cope with, but I'm learning stuff, and the days are passing much quicker.

I'm just glad I still do have some time to post stuff here, and keep up with all the goings on down at the Creek!

I hated having nothing to do, and if they're not giving you work then they shouldn't restrict what you do wish to do - within reason - I mean you weren't going to strut around naked rubbing a frozen turkey on yourself were you?

Were you? ;-)
Thu 30/08/01 at 00:43
Reading your post as I sit here contemplating how to get away from my psycho boss made me think about two things. One good for you. Leave, quit, walk. Way too many people have work as the centre of thier lives and try and make it meaningful. They don't have the guts to leave so hypoethesise and obsess about the dynamics of the place. Gossip, pretend the world will stop turning if they don't turn up at work tomorrow etc.
My problem is the opposite. I get given unmanagable projects to manage. If I were adept at turning water into wine then perhaps I could embark on their lunatic proposals. As it is whilst there are still 24 hours in the day and I continue to have my own writing,friends and a partner that is important to me I will continue to leave at 5 ( my contracted hours) and the rest can go swing. Work is not my life and I refuse to buy into that culture. Like you I will work like a dog whilst I'm there. But its extremely demotivating when you never have any chance of success. Its never going to work because the big G himself couldn't sort this out. My problem is apparently time managment and prioritising. It all comes down to the same s***. You buy into it or you don't. You are disturbing a very fragile eco system of ego's by suggesting that the work your organisation does is not that taxing and does not require your undivided attention 40 hours a week. Or in my case they are delusional and their over arching paranoia that no one works hard enough is insane. I admire your guts. You seem to have some clarity on what are organisational issues and what are personal issues. We are not indentured slaves and we have choices. Exercise your choice.
Thu 30/08/01 at 08:52
Regular
Did you quit then?
Thu 30/08/01 at 10:26
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
No I didn’t quit.
I went and said my bit and left it at that.

I’m not lazy or arrogant, I do what I get given as fast and as best I can. But when I don’t have anything to do?
2 choices: get up and wander about the place, chatting to all and sundry, or sit at my desk and post things on these forums, where I can be reached if needs be.

What would you rather have your employee do? I don’t waste time with idle chit-chat unless it’s lunchtime, I just get on with what I’m paid to do.
Before I agreed to stay at this place, I temped for almost 2 years, including a long-term stay at another place.

Simply because I’m not interested in a career outside of music or writing. Those are both things that I can do well, and again that’s not being arrogant, that’s recognising the talents that you have.
I’m crap at sports, I don’t have the head for math or science. My abilities lay with the more artistic sides in life.
Hence I pursue my goals in those areas, but they don’t pay massively well until you’ve put in years of groundwork.
So in the meantime I leave my brain at home in front of a book and do office stuff.
I just cannot live in fear of “Ooo, I better just put up with that in case I get fired!”

So you get fired, big deal.
There are always other jobs.
I’m intelligent, articulate and don’t have any trouble finding work. I do whatever job it is to the best of my ability and stay until I find it bores me.
I see so many people where I am that moan and say “I hate it here”
“So leave”
“…nah” and they spend yet another week doing something they hate and wasting another week of their life.

I don’t understand that at all. Why spend time doing something you hate? There are days here when I get annoyed, but it passes. The people are ok, it’s an amazing old Manor House with a pool, 4 acres of grounds and all that, it’ll do.
Just don’t start getting on my back when I use the net, because if you cant criticise or fault me on my work, I’m doing exactly what I get paid for.
Thu 30/08/01 at 10:37
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
FM's Work History over the last 17 years:

28 different jobs for 25 different companies
Longest time in any job: 18 months
Shortest time in any job: 3 days
Number of jobs where I did NO work at all: 3
Worst boss: S.P. at B.T. (Sounds just like Goatboy's boss)
Best boss: Me

Moral of the C.V.? Work for yourself.
Thu 30/08/01 at 10:55
Regular
Have to agree with you on the writing talent goatboy. What musical instrument do you play then?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.