GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are console games a rip off?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/12/03 at 09:54
Regular
"Games 24 Player"
Please tell me if you think the current price of games are too much and is there any price/scheme that will imrpove this? I think paying £29.99 - £34.99 per game is too much especially since you get no more then a game for your investment. Any sugesstions and feedback?
Tue 16/12/03 at 09:54
Regular
"Games 24 Player"
Please tell me if you think the current price of games are too much and is there any price/scheme that will imrpove this? I think paying £29.99 - £34.99 per game is too much especially since you get no more then a game for your investment. Any sugesstions and feedback?
Tue 16/12/03 at 12:59
Regular
"you've got a beard"
they ARE expensive, but that's unlikely to change. especially with the shift in games towards huge production costs.
long gone are the days of "Revenge of the mutant camels" for £1.99 on the c64 :(
Tue 16/12/03 at 16:08
Regular
"Laughingstock"
When I see the credits roll at the end of a game, and I see just how many people were involved in producing the game I've just completed and enjoyed, I always think that 35 quid is quite cheap.
Tue 16/12/03 at 16:53
Regular
"Games 24 Player"
What would people think of a scheme whereby through a nominal monthly payment they can buy games for between £30-£35 but with each purchase they earn points that can be used to buy further games?
Tue 16/12/03 at 21:47
Regular
Yeah, I think the price is about right.

Unlike DVDs and music CDs, which I think are a tad overpriced.

do you remember Neo-Geo game prices though? some were £180!
Wed 17/12/03 at 17:39
Regular
TommyB wrote:
> What would people think of a scheme whereby through a nominal monthly
> payment they can buy games for between £30-£35 but with
> each purchase they earn points that can be used to buy further games?

Why the hell must you keep asking this question???
Wed 17/12/03 at 21:38
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
All stuff's overpriced. That's why people pirate stuff.

Aharrrrrrrrr, me laddie!
Thu 18/12/03 at 10:23
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
I think they are overpriced.

The games industry is supposed to be almost as big as the movie / music industries now, but I can pick up 2-4 new DVD films for the price of a game. And you can get upto 4 music albums for the price of 1 game too.

A lot more work and money goes into making a film like LOTR. Let alone the exhorbitant wages that the top stars like Cruise charge (£20,000,000 etc.).

So either the games industry is actually *not* as big as movies and music, or some people, somewhere, are maing an absolute killing out of us.

Music and film piracy is much more prevalent than that of game piracy - so that's no excuse for high prices. If anything, music piracy is driving down the cost of music, what with online shops being forced to open etc.

I have to say that the worst offender is nintendo. If they hadn't been pressed by Sony introducing CD format and the Platinum range, I think we would still be paying over 50 quid for nintendo games.

But I'd still like to know why games cost 3 or 4x that of a film / album. Any ideas?
Thu 18/12/03 at 10:33
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Oh yeah - your idea for a loyalty scheme (rewarding purchases with money off vouchers) is a very good idea - but not new. 2 games I just bought off the web came with 50p off next purchase. I get reward points when I buy games off the high street too.

The other part - getting people to commit to monthly payments i.e. like one of those book 'clubs', is also a good idea, but people are wise to the way they make their money now. Few people like to commit money.

There's only one way to really make the customer happy - give them the games they want, when they want them, for the cheapest price possible. Anything else is usually a gimmic or a scam - sellers have to make money!

Also, people who can't afford to buy games usually rent them.
Thu 18/12/03 at 18:22
Regular
Put it this way - games are a whole ass cheaper than they were a long while ago...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.