GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thief 3: Deadly Shadows"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Thief 3 : Deadly Shadows'.
Tue 13/02/07 at 08:55
Regular
"Braaains"
The third and final installment in the popular stealth based series, Thief: Deadly Shadows is a perfect example of how to take a good game series and mess it up completely. Specifically, by designing it for a console and then porting it to the PC - which was the game's original platform - rather than the other way around.

It's true that the game does contain many of the elements found in Thief 1 and 2, which were pretty damn enjoyable games. You once again have to rely on your character's ability to conceal himself in the shadows to succeed - because unlike the Hitman series, you can't shoot your way out of trouble. There's an evil plot brewing, and plenty of guards to be coldcocked too. Sounds good so far?

The problem is that the levels themselves are pretty damn poor. Yes, the Shalebridge Cradle is scary, but the rest of the areas you get to explore are pretty uninteresting. Thief 1 and 2 sported levels that were often several floors high and contained dozens of rooms. Which meant that you had the freedom to explore the whole of the building, often entering the location from several potential access points. In short, you actually felt like a thief - though not of the Christmas-ruining granny-beating variety. And it was fun.

Thief 3, on the other hand, has levels that are pretty small and that are, on top of that, cut in half. Each half of the level is accessed by a level portal which loads the other half of the level. So the 'mansion' you explore at the beginning of the game is split into two sections, each about the size of a semi-detatched house. Therefore the levels end up being very linear indeed, with guards typically patrolling a very small area indeed. Which removes much of the previous games emphasis on sneaking around and results in you just having to whack them in the head when their backs are turned.

Essentially. Thief 3 feels like a massively simplified version of the previous games. If you're a fan of the series, like I am, then it's worth borrowing or renting the game just to see what happens to Garrett, the star of the series. But don't expect to actually have much fun with it. If you really want to see the best the Thief series has to offer, then pick up Thief 2 for the PC, which can be had for a fiver from most good games stores. Thief 3 is a rental at best. A disappointing end to the series.
Tue 13/02/07 at 09:02
Regular
"8==="
Thought the museum, church/templar place and the pirate mansion or whatever it was were pretty big and did have a fair few extra rooms.

And those are only the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Also mucking about in the actual city was rather cool and fooling the guards into thinking an innocent pedestrian was you. :)
Tue 13/02/07 at 08:55
Regular
"Braaains"
The third and final installment in the popular stealth based series, Thief: Deadly Shadows is a perfect example of how to take a good game series and mess it up completely. Specifically, by designing it for a console and then porting it to the PC - which was the game's original platform - rather than the other way around.

It's true that the game does contain many of the elements found in Thief 1 and 2, which were pretty damn enjoyable games. You once again have to rely on your character's ability to conceal himself in the shadows to succeed - because unlike the Hitman series, you can't shoot your way out of trouble. There's an evil plot brewing, and plenty of guards to be coldcocked too. Sounds good so far?

The problem is that the levels themselves are pretty damn poor. Yes, the Shalebridge Cradle is scary, but the rest of the areas you get to explore are pretty uninteresting. Thief 1 and 2 sported levels that were often several floors high and contained dozens of rooms. Which meant that you had the freedom to explore the whole of the building, often entering the location from several potential access points. In short, you actually felt like a thief - though not of the Christmas-ruining granny-beating variety. And it was fun.

Thief 3, on the other hand, has levels that are pretty small and that are, on top of that, cut in half. Each half of the level is accessed by a level portal which loads the other half of the level. So the 'mansion' you explore at the beginning of the game is split into two sections, each about the size of a semi-detatched house. Therefore the levels end up being very linear indeed, with guards typically patrolling a very small area indeed. Which removes much of the previous games emphasis on sneaking around and results in you just having to whack them in the head when their backs are turned.

Essentially. Thief 3 feels like a massively simplified version of the previous games. If you're a fan of the series, like I am, then it's worth borrowing or renting the game just to see what happens to Garrett, the star of the series. But don't expect to actually have much fun with it. If you really want to see the best the Thief series has to offer, then pick up Thief 2 for the PC, which can be had for a fiver from most good games stores. Thief 3 is a rental at best. A disappointing end to the series.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.