GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[PPV Event] WWE Royal Rumble 2010 Review"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/02/10 at 19:12
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Wrestling may not be the kind of thing I get excited about every week any more. It may not provide the same sort of classic matches it once did when I was younger. It may not ever have its own section on the chat forums here anymore. But that hasn’t stopped the tradition of me and my friends gathering round a television with a bunch of pizzas, waiting for 1am to roll by and enjoying a good old Royal Rumble. Every year we watch it, every year we are surprised and every year we love it!

So what was this year’s like?

The PPV started off with... well not exactly a bang, but a fairly average match between Christian and the tank that is Ezekiel Jackson. The momentum went back and forth, William Regal made interference but got banned to the locker room and in the end Christian nailed his finishing move for the win. It wasn’t exactly a bad match, but it just didn’t have any real atmosphere to it. Don’t get me wrong I love Christian. He’s a great wrestler, but this is one match that will soon be forgotten.

I’ve never liked The Miz or MVP. Let me get this out of the way. I just don’t like their characters and I think that MVP looks like he’s dressed as a Power Ranger. Regardless though this match wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Considering I have no interest in the two competitors I was couldn’t believe I hadn’t walked away midway through. It was a decent enough match that ended kind of quickly with a cheeky roll up. By no means something I’ll tell everyone about, but not the worst match of the night.

Sheamus vs. Randy Orton started off as a great match with a great display of athleticism and talent from the get go that was sadly spoiled by its lame ending. Cody Rhodes making an appearance was not only predictable, but also seemed like just an easy escape for Sheamus to leave with his belt. Yes I’m sure that a story will develop from the split of the Team Legacy but it’s a shame because if this match had been allowed to continue then we could have had what would have easily been the best match of the night. Unfortunately what we got was another easily forgettable event.

Mickie James and Michelle McCool didn’t exactly have a match as the entire ordeal lasted no more than thirty seconds. Mickie runs in the ring, knocks out Michelle, goes for the pin and it’s over. Simple as. While the build up to this event was fairly silly in itself (girls calling each other fat?!) the ending was just as stupid as cake was thrown over the losers by the whole diva squad. Silly and pointless.

The Undertaker, Rey Mysterio match was surprisingly decent. While on first inspection it’s laughable to see the tiny Rey squaring off with the Dead Man, the match was taken surprisingly seriously. Countless attempts by Rey were batted away as if the Undertaker wasn’t even trying and that’s the way it should be. Size should matter and in the end after a string of special moves by Mysterio, the Undertaker took advantage and nailed the last ride in what was a fairly entertaining match. The best of the bunch.

The Royal Rumble itself was definitely worth the wait even with the less than stellar matches before hand. It was fast paced, full of action and surprises and more importantly captured that old WWE feeling I believe has been sorely missing in recent times. So what exactly made it work so well?

The opening was both entertaining and funny. Seeing CM Punk dominate, eliminating wrestler after wrestler before preaching to the crowd shortly after was shocking and very funny. The amount of shockers was also decent with out of nowhere eliminations, surprise entrants and even a moment where Shawn Michaels lost the plot toward the end of the event rounding off an entertaining Royal Rumble.

One thing I also appreciated was the pacing of the match. Past Royal Rumbles have always had a build up of wrestlers in the ring often having ten or more in at once. Sometimes it can drag the match a little. This year the number seemed to only ever reach around seven and even then it was for a brief amount of time. Wrestlers would come in and leave shortly after. Also something I’ve come to grow tired of now is the big names that enter early and stay till the end. Thankfully nothing like this was here and it got to a point where you simply weren’t sure who might end up the last man in the ring. Bottom line is this felt like a fresh Royal Rumble that differentiated itself from past ones with its quick running time and even quicker eliminations. Great fun!

So after a shaky start the Royal Rumble 2010 delivered on the entertainment. Sure the matches before could have been better, run a little longer and been more consistent but it’s the Rumble itself you watch this PPV for and that was no disappointment. Let me say the tradition will continue and I can't wait for 2011.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 17/02/10 at 19:12
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Wrestling may not be the kind of thing I get excited about every week any more. It may not provide the same sort of classic matches it once did when I was younger. It may not ever have its own section on the chat forums here anymore. But that hasn’t stopped the tradition of me and my friends gathering round a television with a bunch of pizzas, waiting for 1am to roll by and enjoying a good old Royal Rumble. Every year we watch it, every year we are surprised and every year we love it!

So what was this year’s like?

The PPV started off with... well not exactly a bang, but a fairly average match between Christian and the tank that is Ezekiel Jackson. The momentum went back and forth, William Regal made interference but got banned to the locker room and in the end Christian nailed his finishing move for the win. It wasn’t exactly a bad match, but it just didn’t have any real atmosphere to it. Don’t get me wrong I love Christian. He’s a great wrestler, but this is one match that will soon be forgotten.

I’ve never liked The Miz or MVP. Let me get this out of the way. I just don’t like their characters and I think that MVP looks like he’s dressed as a Power Ranger. Regardless though this match wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Considering I have no interest in the two competitors I was couldn’t believe I hadn’t walked away midway through. It was a decent enough match that ended kind of quickly with a cheeky roll up. By no means something I’ll tell everyone about, but not the worst match of the night.

Sheamus vs. Randy Orton started off as a great match with a great display of athleticism and talent from the get go that was sadly spoiled by its lame ending. Cody Rhodes making an appearance was not only predictable, but also seemed like just an easy escape for Sheamus to leave with his belt. Yes I’m sure that a story will develop from the split of the Team Legacy but it’s a shame because if this match had been allowed to continue then we could have had what would have easily been the best match of the night. Unfortunately what we got was another easily forgettable event.

Mickie James and Michelle McCool didn’t exactly have a match as the entire ordeal lasted no more than thirty seconds. Mickie runs in the ring, knocks out Michelle, goes for the pin and it’s over. Simple as. While the build up to this event was fairly silly in itself (girls calling each other fat?!) the ending was just as stupid as cake was thrown over the losers by the whole diva squad. Silly and pointless.

The Undertaker, Rey Mysterio match was surprisingly decent. While on first inspection it’s laughable to see the tiny Rey squaring off with the Dead Man, the match was taken surprisingly seriously. Countless attempts by Rey were batted away as if the Undertaker wasn’t even trying and that’s the way it should be. Size should matter and in the end after a string of special moves by Mysterio, the Undertaker took advantage and nailed the last ride in what was a fairly entertaining match. The best of the bunch.

The Royal Rumble itself was definitely worth the wait even with the less than stellar matches before hand. It was fast paced, full of action and surprises and more importantly captured that old WWE feeling I believe has been sorely missing in recent times. So what exactly made it work so well?

The opening was both entertaining and funny. Seeing CM Punk dominate, eliminating wrestler after wrestler before preaching to the crowd shortly after was shocking and very funny. The amount of shockers was also decent with out of nowhere eliminations, surprise entrants and even a moment where Shawn Michaels lost the plot toward the end of the event rounding off an entertaining Royal Rumble.

One thing I also appreciated was the pacing of the match. Past Royal Rumbles have always had a build up of wrestlers in the ring often having ten or more in at once. Sometimes it can drag the match a little. This year the number seemed to only ever reach around seven and even then it was for a brief amount of time. Wrestlers would come in and leave shortly after. Also something I’ve come to grow tired of now is the big names that enter early and stay till the end. Thankfully nothing like this was here and it got to a point where you simply weren’t sure who might end up the last man in the ring. Bottom line is this felt like a fresh Royal Rumble that differentiated itself from past ones with its quick running time and even quicker eliminations. Great fun!

So after a shaky start the Royal Rumble 2010 delivered on the entertainment. Sure the matches before could have been better, run a little longer and been more consistent but it’s the Rumble itself you watch this PPV for and that was no disappointment. Let me say the tradition will continue and I can't wait for 2011.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.