GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Google Map features"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/02/10 at 19:20
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I've just come across a "new" link within Google Maps that opens up the labs tab - features which you can try out before they may or may not go live.

Drag 'n' Zoom

This lets you draw a "zone" with the mouse, and have the maps zoom in to that section. I like this as it makes zooming in a lot quicker than continuously scrolling in with the mouse wheel.

Aerial Imagery

I think this is the same as Bing's Birds Eye imagery, though is only available in select areas. It's nice, but with it's limited coverage area, isn't much use at the moment. But then, with Google's roll-out abilities, they could update half the globe with this relevantly quickly.

Back to Beta

Dumb!

Where in the World Game

Google randomly picks ten locations, and gives you four options as to where in the world this location is, and you're given ten seconds to select the correct answer. This seems to struggle a little on my machine, but to be fair, Notepad struggles on my PC.

Rotatable Maps

This lets you rotate the maps in an additional three directions. Again, this seems to struggle on my machine. I can't believe mobile phones are now more powerful than my desktop computer.

What's Around Here?

This brings up a search button that will search for "*", which is a Google shortcut keyword for looking for the top results from any search within the local area you're currently zoomed in to.

LatLng Tooltip

This adds the location the mouse pointer is currently pointed at, which is great if you're in need of this info, such as if you're plotting a Google Map for your web site.

LatLng Marker

Like above, but allows you to add a pin marker with the location saved, even better for map making, as it allows easy copy and paste of the location to your clip board.

Smart Zoom

It's always been a pain to zoom in so much that you're told no imagery is available, but this option prevents that by zooming on only as far as is available ... or at least it should, if it worked.

All in All

Some nice additions that some of you might want to try out, especially the LatLng Marker option for when you're putting together your Google Map for your web site.
Thu 11/03/10 at 13:17
"Are you sure?"
Yep working now.
When we last discussed this you couldn't select the text.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 11/03/10 at 13:11
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Just a note, if you drop a marker, you can select the coordinates and use Ctrl + C to copy them to the Windows clipboard.
Thu 18/02/10 at 11:17
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Maybe they disabled it or maybe I imagined it ... it seems crazy that it's not there at the moment though.
Tue 16/02/10 at 08:58
"Are you sure?"
cjh wrote:
> ...especially the LatLng Marker option...

I'm surprised it's taken Google so long to add this!
I know it's still in 'Labs' and it might just be me but it doesn't look as if you can copy/paste the coords and you'll have to write them down?

Obviously my Lat/Long finder displays the exact coords and lets you copy them to use in your map building ;¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 15/02/10 at 19:20
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I've just come across a "new" link within Google Maps that opens up the labs tab - features which you can try out before they may or may not go live.

Drag 'n' Zoom

This lets you draw a "zone" with the mouse, and have the maps zoom in to that section. I like this as it makes zooming in a lot quicker than continuously scrolling in with the mouse wheel.

Aerial Imagery

I think this is the same as Bing's Birds Eye imagery, though is only available in select areas. It's nice, but with it's limited coverage area, isn't much use at the moment. But then, with Google's roll-out abilities, they could update half the globe with this relevantly quickly.

Back to Beta

Dumb!

Where in the World Game

Google randomly picks ten locations, and gives you four options as to where in the world this location is, and you're given ten seconds to select the correct answer. This seems to struggle a little on my machine, but to be fair, Notepad struggles on my PC.

Rotatable Maps

This lets you rotate the maps in an additional three directions. Again, this seems to struggle on my machine. I can't believe mobile phones are now more powerful than my desktop computer.

What's Around Here?

This brings up a search button that will search for "*", which is a Google shortcut keyword for looking for the top results from any search within the local area you're currently zoomed in to.

LatLng Tooltip

This adds the location the mouse pointer is currently pointed at, which is great if you're in need of this info, such as if you're plotting a Google Map for your web site.

LatLng Marker

Like above, but allows you to add a pin marker with the location saved, even better for map making, as it allows easy copy and paste of the location to your clip board.

Smart Zoom

It's always been a pain to zoom in so much that you're told no imagery is available, but this option prevents that by zooming on only as far as is available ... or at least it should, if it worked.

All in All

Some nice additions that some of you might want to try out, especially the LatLng Marker option for when you're putting together your Google Map for your web site.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.