GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ahem! We don't own our games anymore! :-S"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Wreckless'.
Sun 01/02/04 at 21:01
Regular
I bought Wreckless the other day for my Gamecube.
Ordered it second hand online and it arrived after a couple of days.
Had a few goes... it was alright...

Anysway, while my brother was having his go, I decided to look through the manual. There was the usual story and controls etc.
And at the back, there was all the small print, and I found a page called "Product License Agreement".

Normally I ignore this bit to just enjoy the game, but Wreckless wasn't doing such a great job of grabbing my attention so I got bored and read it.

The first paragraph was the usual waffle about "in using this product in any possible way, you agree to the following terms and conditions"...

The next paragraph was a little more interesting:

LIMITED USE LICENSE: Activision grants you the non-exclusive, non transferable, limited right and liscence to use one copy of this Product soley and exclusively for your personal use. All rights not specifically granted under this Agreement are reserved by Activision. This Product is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in this Product and should not be construed as a sale of any rights in this product.

So that's great. You don't own the game anymore. They're just letting you play on it.

It then goes on to specify that any use of any part of the product (ranging from characters, to code and sounds) is bound by the license and are not allowed to be used non-privately without a special commercial license.

You're not allowed to copy (not even as a back-up as you don't actually OWN it), rent, lend, re-sell, modify (like patches and code changing... looks like Action Replay is illegal! :-S) and loads more...

Good job they're not taking all this very seriously, else I'd better not let them know I picked it up second hand! :-D
Tue 03/02/04 at 20:04
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
so i come to your house with an activision label and say that game is copied...

*takes game*
*runs*
Sun 01/02/04 at 23:02
Regular
It's no big deal because if it was being done really strictly, we'd all know about it, second hand stores being sued etc...
I think it's so that when they bust a major pirate, there's no "ownership back up" loopholes to get away with.

It's still silly though! :-D
Sun 01/02/04 at 22:13
"I love yo... lamp."
Action Replay just alters the hardware in that it just alters values in memory locations to change variables in the game.

Yeah I don't like that whole licensed to use thing, but no-one ever interferes with it normally.
Sun 01/02/04 at 21:03
Well yeah... this has been going on soon after software was made for computers for purchase.
Sun 01/02/04 at 21:01
Regular
I bought Wreckless the other day for my Gamecube.
Ordered it second hand online and it arrived after a couple of days.
Had a few goes... it was alright...

Anysway, while my brother was having his go, I decided to look through the manual. There was the usual story and controls etc.
And at the back, there was all the small print, and I found a page called "Product License Agreement".

Normally I ignore this bit to just enjoy the game, but Wreckless wasn't doing such a great job of grabbing my attention so I got bored and read it.

The first paragraph was the usual waffle about "in using this product in any possible way, you agree to the following terms and conditions"...

The next paragraph was a little more interesting:

LIMITED USE LICENSE: Activision grants you the non-exclusive, non transferable, limited right and liscence to use one copy of this Product soley and exclusively for your personal use. All rights not specifically granted under this Agreement are reserved by Activision. This Product is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in this Product and should not be construed as a sale of any rights in this product.

So that's great. You don't own the game anymore. They're just letting you play on it.

It then goes on to specify that any use of any part of the product (ranging from characters, to code and sounds) is bound by the license and are not allowed to be used non-privately without a special commercial license.

You're not allowed to copy (not even as a back-up as you don't actually OWN it), rent, lend, re-sell, modify (like patches and code changing... looks like Action Replay is illegal! :-S) and loads more...

Good job they're not taking all this very seriously, else I'd better not let them know I picked it up second hand! :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.