GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can You Chip ur ps2 yet and if so how"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/08/01 at 11:47
Regular
i want to know if u can chip ur ps2 tell me now
Tue 14/08/01 at 11:47
i want to know if u can chip ur ps2 tell me now
Tue 14/08/01 at 11:55
Regular
"<];o)"
Ooohhhh bow down and worship the god like topic maker, worship him like a god :)

(;o|
Tue 14/08/01 at 12:00
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
#Bow down to the man that can fit more special characters in his name than anyone else.

PS2 chips arent worth having yet. Give them chance to balls up someone elses machine first, then get version 2.

Or better still. Dont get it chipped. You will lose your warranty, you could wreck your machine, and by not buying games retail you take cash from developers that would have spent it writing more games.
Tue 14/08/01 at 12:02
Regular
"<];o)"
My name....?? WHat do you mean? It look like it has normal characters in it to me mate.

<(;o|
Tue 14/08/01 at 18:38
Regular
"You Bum!!"
I wouldnt chip it but if u want to goto http://www.playstationmods.com
Tue 14/08/01 at 19:24
Regular
"360: swfcman"
I have heard over the net of quite a few PS2's not working correctly after having the chip so i would not advise it.

Also, does anyone know if the games are copied onto normal CD-R's as i would have thought they were not big enough.
Tue 14/08/01 at 21:14
the nerd i buy my copied psx games from can chip ps2's. altough hes having problems copying the games right. there always little thing wrong like it pauses at a certain level. he could sell them like that nut he dont. also he told me to get my ps2 chipped after a year or so when the warrantys worn out. hes charging £10 a game (probly go cheaper buy the time hes sorted out making perfect copys) and to chip your ps2 he said its £100. but you get two chips- games and dvd. you need both to work he said (mutterd summin about them needing to work with each other and an official and unofficial part wont work together, i dunno)
Wed 15/08/01 at 00:15
Regular
Chipping your psx is pretty easy, but I'd wait a month or two. Or for your warranty to lapse.

At the moment, the the neo2 and neo 2.2 are pretty good. they are reliable, and don't ruin your psx2 aslong as you install them carefully.

You'll also need a boot disc, ie an Action Replay disc to boot the psx then 'swap' to your import/backup game. To play foreign dvds, you'll require an additional chip for region free dvd.

They're an eight legged chip costing between 1 and 10 pounds via mail order, with some supplied wires to solder onto the motherboard, only the solder points are minute and tricky to get to, and you do have to take the thing almost totally to bits to solder wires to the drive controller. It costs less than a tenner, and you can install it in 20 mins. It costs more to send your console off to have it chipped.

In the next month/or 2, a newer 20 wire chip is being released which won't require a boot disc but will include region free dvd support, and will cost a lot more.

Games are copied onto CDR's (even the dvd ones). The game code is rarely more than a couple of hundred MB, so there is plenty of space on a 30pence blank (HUMPO'S nerd really is raking it in at £10 a copy). The problem comes with in-game movies which can be large, wthese can usually be swapped for 'shorter blank movies' or demultiplexed, recompressed and reinserted. this can be difficult if the movies are into one compressed archive file on the disc, but not impossible.

The main prob is a copy is reducing the disc size to that of a blank disc. Oh, and remastering it back to a psx disc with Sonys 'not for sale' disc mastering software. There are DVD rom copies of games available, but the cost of the blanks is a wee bit high

DVD based games require hex-editing of the SLES file to remove dvd checks.

I realise this post is going probs get me chucked off this forum, but it is tiring to read 'i heard this and that' and santimonius twaddle.
Wed 15/08/01 at 00:19
Regular
"You Bum!!"
WOW, u DO know a lot about that dont'ya?
Wed 15/08/01 at 01:23
Regular
I'd rather read up about it, than not know - you a regular yet then ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.