GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"School days, best days of your life not..........."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 11/08/01 at 13:56
Regular
Unless you've been kidnapped by aliens for perverse sexual experiments and lets face it this hideous fate only ever befalls snaglle tootehed beauties from Alabama you can't have failed to notice the swathes of nostalgia TV that is dominating TV at the moment. I've taken to consulting TV guides at all times to avoid inadvertently flicking onto the Best of 1987 or any of those shows that inadvertently transfer me straight back to being fat, fourteen and getting my head kicked in by the schools pond life.
I keeping wandering if its just me that has this aversion to relieving hideous bits of my teenage years. Maybe because some of them were blighted by being bullied. Bullied for the usual reasons, overweight, clever and posh. Weird how being half bright automatically makes you posh, but pubescent bullies are unlikely to make fine social distinctions like that.
Anyway I don't want to be reminded of that. There are entire chunks of my school life I would rather put in the vault never to be disturbed again. But this seems out of keeping with the rest of the universe.
There is now a club called "School Disco". School uniform is obligatory and everyone dances to crap 80's and 90's music whilst desperately trying to cop off.God I'd rather beat myself to death with the bloodied stump of my own arm then go through that again.
I like clubbing. I don't want it to be confused with the social and sexual hell that a school disco was. This is clearly a place for people who don't like music and are probably trying to relive their glory years as the most popular person on the planet. The planet at that time being some non-descript school in non- descript town. Big fishes and small ponds and all that. The best thing about leaving school is realising there is a whole big world out there. Maybe I've just had an irony by pass and humour failure in one horrible blow leaving me immune to school days retro chic, but no thanks.
Which then brings me onto the whole subject of websites devoted to reuniting you with your long lost chums from your school days. I've always thought that I'd rather take a casual stroll through hell on a hot day then attend a school reunion. I have friends from schooldays and I've managed to maintain the friendships without the aid of a website or falsely constructed reunions.
These websites are inevitably filled with postings relating to amusing incidents with Mr Collins the science teacher dissected frog and nubile supply teacher locked in the science cupboard during double physics. Has nothing more significant happened to them since then?
Maybe there is a place for nostalgia. Had I been the most popular girl in the school I might yearn to reminisce endlessly about those halcyon days but I doubt it. Life is about ideas, change, growth, movement. Being hung up on one particular era or time no matter how marvellous it was is regressive.
Wed 15/08/01 at 22:07
FantasyMeister wrote:
> So, which film? I checked and they don't have Tom Brown's
> Schooldays in stock.

I've spent approximatley 24 hours trying to think of a witty response to this. Some play on words about "School 3 the nightmare continues" whatever. As for which films I did actually review it was Billy Elliot - "Flashdance gans Geordie" and Casablanca - sentimental twaddle thats turned into sheer bloody poetry due to fantastic writing. Call me sentimental but "you've got to remember this, a kiss is just a kiss..........
Tue 14/08/01 at 09:49
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
So, which film? I checked and they don't have Tom Brown's Schooldays in stock.
Tue 14/08/01 at 09:47
Ah bless I'm flattered about the Thom York reference. I'm also chuffed to win the FAD. I've spent hours writing film reviews that go nowhere. I fire off one rambling missive about nostalgia, school and crap 90's pop and Bobs your proverbial uncle.
Tue 14/08/01 at 09:05
Regular
"Excommunicated"
What he said :)
Tue 14/08/01 at 00:46
Regular
Oops, nearly forgot! Well done on your Filmaday win!
Tue 14/08/01 at 00:44
Regular
Sheepy is a massive Radiohead fan, and thought that perhaps you were Thom Yorke posting under the pseudonym of Kitty.

(I guess).

:-)
Mon 13/08/01 at 20:53
SHEEPY wrote:
> Kitty wrote:
> SHEEPY wrote:
> Are you Thom Yorke... Kitty
> that is?

Just
> wondering.
What Radiohead wordsmith and
> angst mesiter? No sorry I'm
> not. I'm not even sure if thats
> supposed to be an insult or
> compliment. Shall go and
> ponder.......

Heh sorry :D

At that moment I was reading
> something that said he called his car Kitty and then saw you name
> :D

Can someone tell me what all this is about? I am currently very confused - Radiohead angst meister and a car called Kitty? Errr what is going on?
Mon 13/08/01 at 20:50
TIM-MAY!! wrote:
> Kitty wrote:
> When you wrote about people coming up to you
> and
> pretending like you were big chums at school do they
>
> really not remember being b*****ds or is it all so far in
> the
> past the rose tinted glasses have got glued to their
>
> noses.

I think it's the usual knee jerk reaction to be nice to
> someone in a wheelchair. It doesn't bother me with most people but
> it does with those who I used to go to school with who, if I wasn't
> in a wheelchair, would probably just ignore me.

Nothing more nauseating than the sympathy vote.
Mon 13/08/01 at 18:29
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Kitty wrote:
> SHEEPY wrote:
> Are you Thom Yorke... Kitty that is?

Just
> wondering.
What Radiohead wordsmith and angst mesiter? No sorry I'm
> not. I'm not even sure if thats supposed to be an insult or
> compliment. Shall go and ponder.......

Heh sorry :D

At that moment I was reading something that said he called his car Kitty and then saw you name :D
Mon 13/08/01 at 18:03
School days were rubbish. I hated school and frankly the sooner I could get out working and start earning money the better.

1. When you get home from work you don't have to spend all evening doing homework.

2. You can take a day off sick without a note from your mum.

3. You get given money every month!

4. You don't have to call everybody older than you 'Sir' or 'Miss' - unless you are in to that kind of thing!

5. You can have a cigarette without having to hide behind the bike sheds.

5.5 Money!

6. You can choose your own lunch hour.

7. You don't have to go out first thing in the morning in the winter on an iced over playing field in shorts and T-Shirt to play rugby.

8. No Detentions

9. Money!

10. No assembly to fall asleep in (unless you count one of Tony's meetings - only joking Tony!).

11. Money!

See, school is rubbish - work is great.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.