GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FMVzzzzzzzzz"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/08/01 at 13:34
Regular
I played Final Fantasy 8, from the start, last week.

I'd played bits of the game before, but had never played from the beginning.

I 'played' for an hour and a half, but in all honesty, I felt like I only actually played for about 5 minutes.

The rest of that time was filled up with cut-scenes and tutorials.

I found this SO incredibly frustrating.

I do like RPG's, well ones from the SNES era, and was expecting more from this, but I felt I was just on my way to the next cut scene.

Well at least the cut-scenes look good. They're impressive, and tell you the story, but honestly, I really felt that it was wholly unnecessary. The story was still unfolding slowly, but with added crap I didn't need to see, or need to know.

What I actually got to play I did enjoy, but it was so frustrating starting off.

Surely as i progress in the game I'll be left to my own devices a little more? Please?

In batlles I found the Gf's very handy indeed, they certainly helped me beat that guy that looked like a demon, and becomes a GF himself once you beat him.

But did I have to see the stupid animation every damn time?

Oh look, some icy bird has popped up out of the ground. She's scantily clad, how exciting. Oh look, she's firing ice at that guy. Again. And again. And again.

No wonder the game is on four damn discs.

FMV could be a useful tool, but when it detracts from playing the game? No thanks, I don't want it!

Some at the start of the game to set the scene is good, a little when you meet a major character, or defeat a major enemy too is acceptable. Loads at the end too. But please, let me actually play the game too.
Mon 13/08/01 at 11:54
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> I am the Tarrant wrote:
> Firstly, let me just say that I think
> FF8 is an excellent game.
> Secondly, if you're going to sack it
> off after half an hours play,
> you shuoldn't have picked the
> game up in the first place.

Oh I haven't given up on it!

That wasn't exactly directed at you Meka mate! You said you were only one and a half hours in, but then some other kid said "yeah, that game sucks I got bored and gave up after half an hour". It was directed at him.

If I thought you'd given up I wouldn't have bothered telling you that the FMV calms down later on:-)

Play and enjoy my friend!
Sun 12/08/01 at 21:54
Regular
"not dead"
er-no wrote:
> meka...

>What is your email address?

[email protected]
Sun 12/08/01 at 19:43
Regular
"everyone says it"
meka...

What is your email address?
Sun 12/08/01 at 10:53
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
I think FMVs are an improtant part of any game. But I also agree, that too many ruin the game.

The main part of an FMV is too build the scene or set the mood. It should allow the story to unfold in an imaginative way that is nice too watch but not so boring you fall asleep while watching it.

Too be honest I haven't really played FF7/8/9 much at all. I have seen my friend playing no. 8 though and i see why you are annoyed by the amount of FMV in the game. Every few seconds he was playing another FMV would start, it was starnge to say the least that a game needed so much FMV in it.

The FMV in the battles is a good point as well. While it look cool to say the least the first few times, it can be very dull seeing the same GF come and slam a flaming rock down on someones head again. There shoudl be a way to skip the animation or something, becase I doubt there is anyone who has completed the game that would be able to see one of the GFs FMVs without breaking down in tears.

(;o|
Sun 12/08/01 at 10:29
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
FMV does stand for Full Motion Videos. By the way, MGS did not have any FMV'S, it had cut-scenes. It's where it's an animated movie clip instead if an actual movie clip or computer generated movie clip.
Sun 12/08/01 at 07:28
Regular
"not dead"
I am the Tarrant wrote:
> Firstly, let me just say that I think FF8 is an excellent game.
> Secondly, if you're going to sack it off after half an hours play,
> you shuoldn't have picked the game up in the first place.

Oh I haven't given up on it!

It's my brothers game though, and I can only play it when I'm over there, you see.

And I'm not denying that the game was enjoyable when I actually got to play.

But that much FMV and tutorials was too much.

You don't need it all at the very start of the game, it annoyed me and my itchy gaming fingers, that just wanted to start the game, and get into the game. I don't believe that FMV is the way to get you into it.
Sat 11/08/01 at 23:35
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Err, you what? Thanks for what? Go away!! You're scaring me!!
Sat 11/08/01 at 23:31
Regular
thanks. simple really isn't it. should of thought of that myself
Sat 11/08/01 at 23:27
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
It does, I know that much at least...
Sat 11/08/01 at 23:26
I think it stands for Full Motion Video

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.