GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Most Wanted Games Of 2010"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/02/10 at 23:42
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
So after doing my games of 2009 topic last month I sat and thought to myself, “How can I follow up with another topic as informative and fun to read.” Then it hit me... Games I want of 2010. Original I know so here it is. My top ten most wanted games of this year...

10. Legend Of Zelda
Not much is known about this title other than rumours and features. Rumour has it this game has been in development for the last five years while announcements have been made that point to a late 2010 release. It is also a game that will use the MotionPlus so expect something new and different from the usual Zelda experience.

9. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
I am one of the people who like the Prince of Persia’s new reboot. The visuals, the simpler controls and even the one on one battling seemed much more fun than previous versions. The production values were very impressive and overall it gave me one of my favourite experiences of 2009. That is why the sequel is here since we know hardly anything about the May version other than a short trailer. I’m about ready to run up walls and perform death defying leaps once again.

8. Metroid: Other M
I’m not going to lie, I don’t know too much about this title other than what I’ve seen in the trailer. And let me say it looks amazing. While it could go either way with it being truly great or just simply a poor effort, going by what I’ve seen, I’m going to put my hopes on great. It looks like it may take a third person view with some first person sections thrown in too, but it’s far too early to tell. All I know is I want it!

7. The Grinder
While many were unimpressed with High Voltages’ effort last year, (The Conduit) I actually thought it was a highly enjoyable shooter with an online mode that was great fun too. This time however things have been changed up a bit. Having said to take inspiration from the Left 4 Dead series, The Grinder will allow four player co-op online and off where you will make your way through stages taking out vampires and other mythical creatures. The Grindhouse style appearance of the game definitely gives it a unique feel. Throw in some competitive modes and awesome weapons and we could be on with another great shooter on the Wii.

6. No More Heroes 2
I absolutely loved the original game and am so glad and shocked a sequel has been made. Travis Touchdown (Johnny Knoxville) has found himself at the bottom of the assassin leaderboards and needs to make his way from fifty to number one avenging his friend’s death along the way. If the story is half as silly (and from what I’ve heard it’s even more so) than the first game then I’m sure this will be a hell of a ride. Grabbing your laser katana you must slice you way through waves of often ridiculous enemies and make your way up the ranks. What has stood out for me is the fact the game doesn’t take itself seriously. From the crazy cutscenes, to the 2D retro job mini games. Gore, humour, nudity, retro mini games and swearing, what more could you ask for? The ability to save on the toilet you ask? Check!

5. Trauma Team
I loved Trauma Centre. I loved it’s originality, I loved how the controls felt when using the scalpel, I loved how the pressure to you when performing risky procedures. I just loved how the game put you right in the shoes of a surgeon. I’d even go as far as to say it is one of the best games on the Wii. What makes this game different then? Well, try being able to play as six members of the Trauma Team. General surgeon, diagnostician, emergency medical technician, orthopedic surgeon, medical examiner, and endoscopy technician. With new play styles promised, this looks set to be a big step up from the first two Wii titles.

4. Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing
The immediate thing that a lot of people will think when seeing this is “Mario Kart rip-off” and while it may be true, at least the developers are willing to admit it. You have to agree it should be in safe hands being as this team was responsible for the stellar Outrun reboot. Using power-ups, special moves, tracks from franchise games and more it’s easy to see the resemblance. What this game has over the red plumber though is fan service with rare appearances from once forgotten characters such as Ryo of the Shenmue series and B.D. Joe of Crazy Taxi. Nintendo’s crazy karter was great fun and being able to take Knuckles, Sonic and AiAi is enough reason for me to get excited about this title.

3. Bioshock 2
With little under a week till this arrives in the UK I’m getting genuinely more excited as each day passes by. The first game was the first title I tried on the Xbox 360 and not only managed to surprise me with its quality but also set an extremely high hurdle for other titles to beat. The storytelling, voice acting, atmosphere and environments were all amazing and I expect the same of the sequel. Set years after the first title, Rapture is in an even worse state than before with you now taking the role of a Big Daddy. Battling your way through Splicers, developing new Adam abilities and tackling the terrifying Big Sister you must now try to find out who you are and what exactly your doing in this underwater ruin. With the promise of an awesome multiplayer too, I can see this becoming a new favourite online.

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
Of course the sequel to the game of 2008 had to be here. It would be crazy not to put it here! From the single trailer shown it looks essentially like we’re getting more of the same with more ambitious puzzles and tricks plus the addition of everyone’s favourite dinosaur, Yoshi. The bee suit makes a return and it has been mentioned that about 95% of the game is brand new content so expect some old levels to make a return with some new challenges. What does worry me a little, is maybe this could turn out to be too similar to the original, but deep down I’m sure Nintendo will not disappoint.

1. Project Needlemouse
While little is known about this XBLA and PSN title, what we do know is that Sonic will be the only character in it! After a trickle of information was given we can sigh as awful, useless characters like Silver and Amy get the boot. We also know this will be a 2D title and give Sonic fans what they want. Concept art and music also points toward a game reminiscent of the Genesis days which has me giddier than a kid on sugar. What we’re hoping for is a true return to form for the blue hedgehog but with so many “returns” made by the blue blur that have fallen flat, am I just getting excited only to be disappointed yet again? I am putting all my faith on the answer being no. It’s through this wish of being able to play an old school Sonic title again that it is firmly at my top spot for 2010. Fingers crossed.
It’s also worth noting that the title of the game will be announced tomorrow so keep your eyes peeled. Rumours point toward “Sonic 4” which only adds to my excitement. If a game can get me so happy over a few rumours, concept art and 5 second music track then it must be special.

That’s a lot of decent games to look forward to and narrowing it to just these was no easy feat. Here’s hoping they all live up to their promise and bring another great year in gaming.
Wed 03/02/10 at 23:42
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
So after doing my games of 2009 topic last month I sat and thought to myself, “How can I follow up with another topic as informative and fun to read.” Then it hit me... Games I want of 2010. Original I know so here it is. My top ten most wanted games of this year...

10. Legend Of Zelda
Not much is known about this title other than rumours and features. Rumour has it this game has been in development for the last five years while announcements have been made that point to a late 2010 release. It is also a game that will use the MotionPlus so expect something new and different from the usual Zelda experience.

9. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
I am one of the people who like the Prince of Persia’s new reboot. The visuals, the simpler controls and even the one on one battling seemed much more fun than previous versions. The production values were very impressive and overall it gave me one of my favourite experiences of 2009. That is why the sequel is here since we know hardly anything about the May version other than a short trailer. I’m about ready to run up walls and perform death defying leaps once again.

8. Metroid: Other M
I’m not going to lie, I don’t know too much about this title other than what I’ve seen in the trailer. And let me say it looks amazing. While it could go either way with it being truly great or just simply a poor effort, going by what I’ve seen, I’m going to put my hopes on great. It looks like it may take a third person view with some first person sections thrown in too, but it’s far too early to tell. All I know is I want it!

7. The Grinder
While many were unimpressed with High Voltages’ effort last year, (The Conduit) I actually thought it was a highly enjoyable shooter with an online mode that was great fun too. This time however things have been changed up a bit. Having said to take inspiration from the Left 4 Dead series, The Grinder will allow four player co-op online and off where you will make your way through stages taking out vampires and other mythical creatures. The Grindhouse style appearance of the game definitely gives it a unique feel. Throw in some competitive modes and awesome weapons and we could be on with another great shooter on the Wii.

6. No More Heroes 2
I absolutely loved the original game and am so glad and shocked a sequel has been made. Travis Touchdown (Johnny Knoxville) has found himself at the bottom of the assassin leaderboards and needs to make his way from fifty to number one avenging his friend’s death along the way. If the story is half as silly (and from what I’ve heard it’s even more so) than the first game then I’m sure this will be a hell of a ride. Grabbing your laser katana you must slice you way through waves of often ridiculous enemies and make your way up the ranks. What has stood out for me is the fact the game doesn’t take itself seriously. From the crazy cutscenes, to the 2D retro job mini games. Gore, humour, nudity, retro mini games and swearing, what more could you ask for? The ability to save on the toilet you ask? Check!

5. Trauma Team
I loved Trauma Centre. I loved it’s originality, I loved how the controls felt when using the scalpel, I loved how the pressure to you when performing risky procedures. I just loved how the game put you right in the shoes of a surgeon. I’d even go as far as to say it is one of the best games on the Wii. What makes this game different then? Well, try being able to play as six members of the Trauma Team. General surgeon, diagnostician, emergency medical technician, orthopedic surgeon, medical examiner, and endoscopy technician. With new play styles promised, this looks set to be a big step up from the first two Wii titles.

4. Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing
The immediate thing that a lot of people will think when seeing this is “Mario Kart rip-off” and while it may be true, at least the developers are willing to admit it. You have to agree it should be in safe hands being as this team was responsible for the stellar Outrun reboot. Using power-ups, special moves, tracks from franchise games and more it’s easy to see the resemblance. What this game has over the red plumber though is fan service with rare appearances from once forgotten characters such as Ryo of the Shenmue series and B.D. Joe of Crazy Taxi. Nintendo’s crazy karter was great fun and being able to take Knuckles, Sonic and AiAi is enough reason for me to get excited about this title.

3. Bioshock 2
With little under a week till this arrives in the UK I’m getting genuinely more excited as each day passes by. The first game was the first title I tried on the Xbox 360 and not only managed to surprise me with its quality but also set an extremely high hurdle for other titles to beat. The storytelling, voice acting, atmosphere and environments were all amazing and I expect the same of the sequel. Set years after the first title, Rapture is in an even worse state than before with you now taking the role of a Big Daddy. Battling your way through Splicers, developing new Adam abilities and tackling the terrifying Big Sister you must now try to find out who you are and what exactly your doing in this underwater ruin. With the promise of an awesome multiplayer too, I can see this becoming a new favourite online.

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
Of course the sequel to the game of 2008 had to be here. It would be crazy not to put it here! From the single trailer shown it looks essentially like we’re getting more of the same with more ambitious puzzles and tricks plus the addition of everyone’s favourite dinosaur, Yoshi. The bee suit makes a return and it has been mentioned that about 95% of the game is brand new content so expect some old levels to make a return with some new challenges. What does worry me a little, is maybe this could turn out to be too similar to the original, but deep down I’m sure Nintendo will not disappoint.

1. Project Needlemouse
While little is known about this XBLA and PSN title, what we do know is that Sonic will be the only character in it! After a trickle of information was given we can sigh as awful, useless characters like Silver and Amy get the boot. We also know this will be a 2D title and give Sonic fans what they want. Concept art and music also points toward a game reminiscent of the Genesis days which has me giddier than a kid on sugar. What we’re hoping for is a true return to form for the blue hedgehog but with so many “returns” made by the blue blur that have fallen flat, am I just getting excited only to be disappointed yet again? I am putting all my faith on the answer being no. It’s through this wish of being able to play an old school Sonic title again that it is firmly at my top spot for 2010. Fingers crossed.
It’s also worth noting that the title of the game will be announced tomorrow so keep your eyes peeled. Rumours point toward “Sonic 4” which only adds to my excitement. If a game can get me so happy over a few rumours, concept art and 5 second music track then it must be special.

That’s a lot of decent games to look forward to and narrowing it to just these was no easy feat. Here’s hoping they all live up to their promise and bring another great year in gaming.
Fri 05/02/10 at 12:30
"possibly impossible"
Good roundup:

Needlemouse was finally shown to be Sonic 4 at midnight on Tuesday.

It's basically a direct sequel to Sonic 3, the old side scrolling game, but with HD graphics and a '3D feel' (think Street Fighter 4) but still being 2D.

Shows a LOT of promise.

Also, I'm debating which version of Sonic All Star Racing to get as the Wi obviously has the wheel but doesn't have the HD graphics. Nice to see they bowed to fan pressure and put NiGHTS in it, even if she is just waving the flag!
Fri 05/02/10 at 12:47
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
pb wrote:
> Good roundup:
>
> Needlemouse was finally shown to be Sonic 4 at midnight on
> Tuesday.
>
> It's basically a direct sequel to Sonic 3, the old side scrolling
> game, but with HD graphics and a '3D feel' (think Street Fighter
> 4) but still being 2D.
>
> Shows a LOT of promise.
>
> Also, I'm debating which version of Sonic All Star Racing to get
> as the Wi obviously has the wheel but doesn't have the HD
> graphics. Nice to see they bowed to fan pressure and put NiGHTS
> in it, even if she is just waving the flag!

Yeah just saw that earlier. The trailer looked awesome. But is it me or does Sonic look like he runs weird? Sure it's just the early stages and will be sorted. Also love the fact it'll be in more than one part (a la Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic 3)

As for which to get, I read a Gamesmaster review and they said the Wii version is just as good as the Xbox one. Obviously minus HD graphics, achievements and Banjo Kazooie. I'll likely get the 360 one.
Tue 09/02/10 at 13:00
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
A nice little round-up there, I can only say that (assuming a Zelda game is coming) this would be way higher up the list. Way higher as in top!

I would also include Final Fantasy 13 which is due out (in Europe) next month and looks set to be another epic game. Oh, and the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm expansion is due out sometime this year also :)
Tue 09/02/10 at 13:49
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Definitely excited about Bioshock 2 - it may be a game I actually buy rather than rent. Unfortunately, although out today, I can't buy it as will be at football tonight and don't fancy carrying it.

I will be purchasing it tomorrow, however.

FF is meant to be great! Just found out it is a full normal FF game and not a 360 "online with subscriptions" game. That would be a must buy also.

And Sonic 4 - is that an XBLA game then? Or is it going down the full retail game route? I probably would give it a miss as, depressing as this may sound, I never really enjoyed Sonic :/

(Hope GP's Avatar doesn't eat me :p)
Tue 09/02/10 at 14:57
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
You didn't know FF13 was a normal game? :S Shocked ;)

FF11 and 14 are the only online ones at the moment.
Wed 10/02/10 at 13:46
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Warhunt wrote:
> You didn't know FF13 was a normal game? :S Shocked ;)
>
> FF11 and 14 are the only online ones at the moment.

Well, FF and 360 usually mean online rubbish that no-one ends up playing.

Plus I can escape any GAME jokes as not worked for them for a year and a half!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.